Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Disney News: Will start ESPN streaming service, Buying rest of BamTech,
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Big Disney News: Will start ESPN streaming service, Buying rest of BamTech,
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney-w...vices.html

Starting ESPN streaming service in early 2018.

Starting own Disney streaming service and pulling content from Netflix
08-08-2017 03:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

RE: Big Disney News: Will start ESPN streaming service, Buying rest of BamTech,
NOTE: Watching the interview on CNBC. The streaming service WILL NOT be the linear ESPN channel.
The are going to have 1 app that will show sports scores, ESPN Linear channel (by logging in via the cable/Sat/OTT subscription) and the streaming service will show other sports content at a subscription. Bob Iger mention that are not going to have the ESPN Linear channels as a separate subscription but the streaming service will provide a transition should they decide to have the ESPN linear channels as part of the streaming service.

The streaming service will have some MLB, NHL, MLS and some college sports programming.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017 03:39 PM by MWC Tex.)
08-08-2017 03:19 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
I wonder what content will be on this

They can't pull too much from ESPN 3 as the isps are already paying ESPN for that content
08-08-2017 03:40 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-08-2017 03:40 PM)solohawks Wrote:  I wonder what content will be on this

[Image: movieposter.jpg]
08-08-2017 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-08-2017 03:40 PM)solohawks Wrote:  I wonder what content will be on this

They can't pull too much from ESPN 3 as the isps are already paying ESPN for that content

I dont know that they will be "pulling" anything from there. What I suspect it will be a basically a "sampler" platter from the the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN3/ABC/ESPN-U productions along with some very low end content that perhaps is not even purchased yet.
08-08-2017 03:54 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I know in the last MLS contract ESPN secured the right to stream out of market games. So far they have not taken advantage of this right but I could see this new service being the mechanism to do so.
08-08-2017 04:52 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
This could be huge going forward. Disney has enough content to cater to the whole family including sports, so so could this being a attractive OTT service
08-08-2017 04:56 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(08-08-2017 03:19 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Bob Iger mention that are not going to have the ESPN Linear channels as a separate subscription but the streaming service will provide a transition should they decide to have the ESPN linear channels as part of the streaming service.

In other words, the traditional ESPN channels are not available as a separate subscription right now, but the infrastructure will be there so that they can start selling ESPN channels direct-to-consumer at any time.

It's a club over the head of the cable/satellite companies in addition to good preparation for whatever direction the marketplace takes. If the cable/satellite suits try to squeeze ESPN on the monthly per-subscriber fees, or screw ESPN by leaving ESPN channels out of their "skinny bundles", or if they can't slow down their own loss of customers -- they've lost about 15% in the last six years -- then ESPN now has the tech in place to "cut the cord".

Today is a good day to own a major league baseball franchise. Each MLB franchise will be getting another $53 million out of Disney's purchase of a larger share of BAMTech.
08-08-2017 05:08 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(08-08-2017 05:08 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(08-08-2017 03:19 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Bob Iger mention that are not going to have the ESPN Linear channels as a separate subscription but the streaming service will provide a transition should they decide to have the ESPN linear channels as part of the streaming service.

In other words, the traditional ESPN channels are not available as a separate subscription right now, but the infrastructure will be there so that they can start selling ESPN channels direct-to-consumer at any time.

It's a club over the head of the cable/satellite companies in addition to good preparation for whatever direction the marketplace takes. If the cable/satellite suits try to squeeze ESPN on the monthly per-subscriber fees, or screw ESPN by leaving ESPN channels out of their "skinny bundles", or if they can't slow down their own loss of customers -- they've lost about 15% in the last six years -- then ESPN now has the tech in place to "cut the cord".

Today is a good day to own a major league baseball franchise. Each MLB franchise will be getting another $53 million out of Disney's purchase of a larger share of BAMTech.

Which I think is most likely to happen. Cable companies will offer the skinny bundles even if it takes not having ESPN to keep the 80% of customers who don't watch sports on ESPN or other cable sports channels to stay in business.
The customer leaving aren't the sports watchers.
08-08-2017 05:12 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Despite being the league with the craziest blackout rules MLB has done a tremendous job in this OTT era. One of the most successful investments in sports business history
08-08-2017 05:20 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
This was already posted months ago on here.

It's second rate content, through and through.

You're never going to get access to live broadcasts of top tier content (stuff people actually want to watch) outside of a bundle subscription.

Yeah sure, the infrastructure is there ...... just like you can install a bomb shelter in your basement in case the N Koreans attack. 07-coffee3
08-08-2017 06:03 PM
PGEMF Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State
(08-08-2017 06:03 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  This was already posted months ago on here.

You're never going to get access to live broadcasts of top tier content (stuff people actually want to watch) outside of a bundle subscription.

Yeah sure, the infrastructure is there ...... just like you can install a bomb shelter in your basement in case the N Koreans attack. 07-coffee3

Did you read the press release?
08-08-2017 06:48 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2017 06:48 PM)PGEMF Wrote:  
(08-08-2017 06:03 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  This was already posted months ago on here.

Did you read the press release?

It's more fun to not and just blast people for trying to save money
08-08-2017 06:53 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(08-08-2017 05:20 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Despite being the league with the craziest blackout rules MLB has done a tremendous job in this OTT era. One of the most successful investments in sports business history

Absolutely. And they'll make even more if Disney eventually buys the rest of BAMTech.
08-08-2017 07:10 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
It's too early to abandon broadcast/cable distribution. However, I can see them slowly adding products to the streaming service. Eventually they will have all of their services there.

Disney has a huge catalog available for streaming including Disney, Lucasfilm, Touchstone, ABC, A&E, ESPN, History Channel, Lifetime and Marvel.

There was a time when Disney could add $100 million to their bottom line by dusting off a classic light Snow White and re-releasing it. Now they can just add it to their streaming service.
08-08-2017 07:31 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Reading the press release it sounds like ESPN has deals to show out of market games currently in MLB, MLB, and NBC out of market streaming packages. Also sounds like they will be moving their ESPN3 tennis extra court coverage to this new service
08-08-2017 07:39 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(08-08-2017 07:31 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  It's too early to abandon broadcast/cable distribution. However, I can see them slowly adding products to the streaming service. Eventually they will have all of their services there.

Disney has a huge catalog available for streaming including Disney, Lucasfilm, Touchstone, ABC, A&E, ESPN, History Channel, Lifetime and Marvel.

There was a time when Disney could add $100 million to their bottom line by dusting off a classic light Snow White and re-releasing it. Now they can just add it to their streaming service.

Now they can re-release an old Disney movie & re-release a super hero movie.
08-08-2017 10:45 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

(08-08-2017 06:48 PM)PGEMF Wrote:  Did you read the press release?

Yes. As I said, this "news" that ESPN is going to offer a streaming service -- containing mostly second-rate content, and not the actual channel itself -- was already posted on here months ago. May have even been by MWC Tex himself ... actually wouldn't be surprised, as he is the board's main cord-cutter ideologist, advocate, and reporter.

But no ... we should definitely have a new thread on it. Multiple, actually. One in the P5 board too.
08-09-2017 08:16 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(08-08-2017 10:45 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Now they can re-release an old Disney movie & re-release a super hero movie.

Sorry, rant time: this putrid era/regime of making every new movie based on a comic book character ... and then exhausting every mathematical combination of them in the same "new" movie ... can't DIE soon enough.

/rant
08-09-2017 08:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.