Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: UCLA QB says "football and academics don't go together"
Bookmark and Share
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
OT: UCLA QB says "football and academics don't go together"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...549170001/

Rosen, an economics major, said being a college football player is “like trying to do two full-time jobs,” and that many student-athletes are ill-equipped to balance school and football commitments.

“There are guys who have no business being in school, but they’re here because this is the path to the NFL,” Rosen said. “There’s no other way. Then there’s the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements. OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes, and then the product on the field suffers.”

Thoughts/opinions?
08-08-2017 02:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

owlcountry40 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FAU
RE: OT: UCLA QB says "football and academics don't go together"
It's a mix for me. Football players have skill that is valuable and is worth billions of dollars to the NCAA and NFL isn't this what everyone goes to college in order to learn a skill that then can be turned into money in the real world. If you treat football as a ''major'' how is it any different than the kid learning biology to turn that skill into a career. The on the other hand many college player are like Rosen said put into situations that is to much to manage and school jam them through with lower level degrees and they are not prepared for the real world.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017 03:06 PM by owlcountry40.)
08-08-2017 03:05 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
I wouldn't mind seeing a rationalization of the system. Best plan I can come up with: spin off the top quarter of FBS into a new pro league for players 17-24 years old. It should have standard playoffs; no bowls. Demote the bottom quarter of FBS back down to FCS. Disband all G5 conferences and reconstitute the P5 conferences along geographical lines using the remaining FBS teams.
08-08-2017 03:06 PM
LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(08-08-2017 02:58 PM)usm99 Wrote:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...549170001/

Rosen, an economics major, said being a college football player is “like trying to do two full-time jobs,” and that many student-athletes are ill-equipped to balance school and football commitments.

“There are guys who have no business being in school, but they’re here because this is the path to the NFL,” Rosen said. “There’s no other way. Then there’s the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements. OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes, and then the product on the field suffers.”

Thoughts/opinions?

He ain't wrong.

NFL needs to put together a true minor league.
08-08-2017 03:09 PM

EagleNationRising Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GaSouthern
(08-08-2017 02:58 PM)usm99 Wrote:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...549170001/

Thoughts/opinions?

Maaaan...that's a loaded scenario for everyone involved. I kind of agree with the 1st point he is making. There are a ton of guys out there that don't know and don't care to know anything else except football. Their high school upon realizing the potential positive exposure will find ways to push them along to graduation where they'll learn just enough to get minimum qualifications on the SAT to get into XYZ school, where more of the same will happen as they make said school mucho money in the process (unless it's ole miss, where apparently you can just have your scores doctored somehow). I'd wager that those who make lots of money off of college football don't want anything to do with raising the SAT score minimums for athletes. This goes deeper but you know...working hours.
08-08-2017 03:14 PM
ODU2017 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Old Dominion University
Part of why we should not be financing big time football at the service academies.

No one is superhuman. They either meet the requirements for fulltime football or fulltime school.

Club sports are great for students. Varsity sports impinge on what is actually important.

At other schools it's fine but the service academies are spending enormous amounts of federal funds on something which runs counter to the core mission of developing future officers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using CSNbbs mobile app
08-08-2017 04:17 PM
monarx Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
Football could use a legit developmental league for guys who don't want to or can't go to college. Pay them $30,000 each to play football for minor leagues as tryouts for the pros. The pro teams should subsidize the minor league. The NBA DL was rumored to work this way, but it hasn't lived up to all its potential yet. College would still be a route to the NFL, but it would provide another option for people too. NFL football doesn't really require a college education, but at this point, it does require college level athletic development because there are no other options.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017 05:45 PM by monarx.)
08-08-2017 05:45 PM

cr11owl Online
All American

I Root For: Rice
Ah the good ol days when a starting NFL QB (and super bowl champion) had a PhD and was a full time professor 03-cloud9

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.n...source=dam

If a minor league ever exists (doubtful) maybe Rice will return to relevance.
08-08-2017 09:03 PM
banker Online
All American

I Root For: Marshall
He's 100% right, for about half the players.

The NCAA nor the NFL has any reason to want to change the system. The NCAA exists because of these "student athletes" and the NFL gets a 100% free farm system that a sport like baseball pays hundreds of millions a year on.
08-08-2017 10:24 PM
stinkfist Online
laughing at MSM meltdown

I Root For: StL Blues & USM
(08-08-2017 10:24 PM)banker Wrote:  He's 100% right, for about half the players.

The NCAA nor the NFL has any reason to want to change the system. The NCAA exists because of these "student athletes" and the NFL gets a 100% free farm system that a sport like baseball pays hundreds of millions a year on.

no pun intended, but I'm banking on the last phase of realignment happening when the tv contracts expire and the ncaa becoming a non entity in relevance....

I could easily be wrong (as many have pointed out).....however, Saban's most recent comment was telling about the future of CFB.....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27240...ll-playoff

Quote:Alabama Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban offered his two cents to help improve the perception of the college football bowl season and strengthen the College Football Playoff.

Saban advocated for schools in Power Five conferences to only play other Power Five schools, as well as a new methodology for determining postseason matchups, per ESPN.com's Heather Dinich:

"If we did that, then if we were going to have bowl games, we should do the bowl games just like we do in the NCAA basketball tournament—not by record but by some kind of power rating that gets you in a bowl game. If we did that, people would be a little less interested in maybe bowl games and more interested in expanding the playoff."
08-08-2017 11:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.