Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Tom Bowen is livid on Sports 56
Bookmark and Share
mewes Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
Tom Bowen is livid on Sports 56
He is livid on the radio. He's tired of talking about the university boring 10M for the indoor practice facility.
08-08-2017 08:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech
RE: Tom Bowen is livid on Sports 56
(08-08-2017 08:14 AM)mewes Wrote:  He is livid on the radio. He's tired of talking about the university boring 10M for the indoor practice facility.

Tom Bowen is awesome.
08-08-2017 08:21 AM
tigersgrizzfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: tigersgrizz
yep that dude was being an azzhole for no reason...

what's his problem
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017 08:24 AM by tigersgrizzfan.)
08-08-2017 08:23 AM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm not listening, but that was a needlessly worrisome headline, was it not?
08-08-2017 09:10 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
Here's the audio link. Good interview, about 25 minutes: http://sports56whbq.com/shows/wolo-peter...om-bowen-2

I support Bowen, think he has done a good job. Of course, the bar was pretty low taking over for R.C. I like Bowen's passion in this interview, but not sure he has much of a leg to stand on with the coverage of the bond issue.

Bowen and the athletic dep't could have gotten out in front of the story, said none of this would have been possible without our new BOR, and this is great news for the future of Tiger athletics because we can react quickly, be creative in our financing . . .

Instead, the narrative built that Memphis had to borrow money because we couldn't raise enough after years of trying. So Bowen got in a defensive, reactive position, which rarely looks good.
08-08-2017 09:38 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(08-08-2017 08:14 AM)mewes Wrote:  He is livid on the radio. He's tired of talking about the university boring 10M for the indoor practice facility.

As noted in another thread, Calkins wrote about this the other day. It seemed that Pastner was still get priority for the hoop facility back then.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sp...540851001/
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017 10:07 AM by KnightLight.)
08-08-2017 10:02 AM
Advertisement

TigersRuleAll Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-08-2017 08:23 AM)tigersgrizzfan Wrote:  yep that dude was being an azzhole for no reason...

what's his problem

Because this is a nonstory being covered by people with no clue about basic finance.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017 10:08 AM by TigersRuleAll.)
08-08-2017 10:08 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
I almost feel bad for Bowen. He had no idea what he was getting into and wants outta here like two years ago, I reckon. He's tried to get every decent AD job that has come along--closest he got was prolly Bezerkely.
08-08-2017 10:41 AM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
We're one of a handful of schools that are a true major w/o a major conference and it's taken its toll on the fan base.
08-08-2017 10:48 AM
btiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesDonators
(08-08-2017 10:08 AM)TigersRuleAll Wrote:  
(08-08-2017 08:23 AM)tigersgrizzfan Wrote:  yep that dude was being an azzhole for no reason...

what's his problem

Because this is a nonstory being covered by people with no clue about basic finance.

most of the stupid azzes complaining about this probably don't even have a bank account
08-08-2017 10:51 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Capital projects are routinely financed and paid back over time. I do not see the the issue unless I am missing something.
08-08-2017 10:58 AM
Advertisement

FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech
(08-08-2017 09:38 AM)Tigx Wrote:  Here's the audio link. Good interview, about 25 minutes: http://sports56whbq.com/shows/wolo-peter...om-bowen-2

I support Bowen, think he has done a good job. Of course, the bar was pretty low taking over for R.C. I like Bowen's passion in this interview, but not sure he has much of a leg to stand on with the coverage of the bond issue.

Bowen and the athletic dep't could have gotten out in front of the story, said none of this would have been possible without our new BOR, and this is great news for the future of Tiger athletics because we can react quickly, be creative in our financing . . .

Instead, the narrative built that Memphis had to borrow money because we couldn't raise enough after years of trying. So Bowen got in a defensive, reactive position, which rarely looks good.

The University has been more than out and open. Rudd had an interview in December that basically said this is what we are going to do. We shouldn't have to repeat this over and over again for these idiots.

The CA wrote an misleading trash article. Those are the facts.
08-08-2017 11:02 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(08-08-2017 10:48 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  We're one of a handful of schools that are a true major w/o a major conference and it's taken its toll on the fan base.

While I agree with you I am also aware I am biased and that many fanbases feel the same way about their schools.
08-08-2017 11:03 AM
Southaven Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(08-08-2017 11:02 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  
(08-08-2017 09:38 AM)Tigx Wrote:  Here's the audio link. Good interview, about 25 minutes: http://sports56whbq.com/shows/wolo-peter...om-bowen-2

The University has been more than out and open. Rudd had an interview in December that basically said this is what we are going to do. We shouldn't have to repeat this over and over again for these idiots.

Fake news?
08-08-2017 11:05 AM
MemTiger90 Offline
All American

(08-08-2017 10:58 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Capital projects are routinely financed and paid back over time. I do not see the the issue unless I am missing something.

Because Calkins is the king of stirring the pot amongst the ignorant
08-08-2017 11:07 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

It's good to be king of your own little town.
08-08-2017 11:11 AM
Advertisement

Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity

It's August. The public is supposed to remember an interview from December? It's not about being out and open, it's about doing fundamental public relations. Not like this is new for Bowen, we don't hear from him a lot. Now, he doesn't like how the story played, and he's jumping on different radio shows.
08-08-2017 11:12 AM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

Newspapers. Unable to cash in when providing information to an information society.

You have to wonder how intelligent they can be.
08-08-2017 11:13 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(08-08-2017 11:12 AM)Tigx Wrote:  

It's August. The public is supposed to remember an interview from December? It's not about being out and open, it's about doing fundamental public relations. Not like this is new for Bowen, we don't hear from him a lot. Now, he doesn't like how the story played, and he's jumping on different radio shows.

He's not a 'people person'. That's what everyone told me, anyway, except that one guy who no longer posts here who had a beer with him.
08-08-2017 11:15 AM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(08-08-2017 11:03 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(08-08-2017 10:48 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  We're one of a handful of schools that are a true major w/o a major conference and it's taken its toll on the fan base.

While I agree with you I am also aware I am biased and that many fanbases feel the same way about their schools.

Memphis has been fighting this battle for legitimacy much longer than most, however.
08-08-2017 11:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.