Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Defense key to Toledo taking MAC crown
Bookmark and Share
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
Defense key to Toledo taking MAC crown
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2017 09:07 AM by SylvaniaRocket.)
08-05-2017 07:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: Defense key to Toledo taking MAC crpwn
I know we have a few good players on D, but as I look at the depth chart overall I just don't see where any improvement over last year is going to come from.

The punter appears to be a dedicated football player. Hopefully he will be able to help with the field position situation. I'm tending to think that anyone who is any good is going to give us a shootout. I don't like the situations where the last one to have the ball wins.
08-05-2017 09:06 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Defense key to Toledo taking MAC crown
The defense is definitely a big concern this season. Really not sure what to expect. Could our run defense get any worse?
08-05-2017 10:57 AM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(08-05-2017 09:06 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  I know we have a few good players on D, but as I look at the depth chart overall I just don't see where any improvement over last year is going to come from.

The punter appears to be a dedicated football player. Hopefully he will be able to help with the field position situation. I'm tending to think that anyone who is any good is going to give us a shootout. I don't like the situations where the last one to have the ball wins.

Look at the weights on the Roster, not the Depth Chart. A number of guys are 10-20 lbs heavier. I think there's improvement in size, speed, strength, and depth. Remember this was virtually a new staff last season. Rockets added NFL experience to the staff, which I thought they needed. UT gave up about 25 points a game and just need to cut 1 opponent's TD a game.Also need to create more turnovers by the UT
Defense to give the "O" more opportunities to score. Rockets will be fine.
08-05-2017 11:24 AM
Advertisement

BDV27 Offline
1st String

(08-05-2017 11:24 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 09:06 AM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  I know we have a few good players on D, but as I look at the depth chart overall I just don't see where any improvement over last year is going to come from.

Look at the weights on the Roster, not the Depth Chart. A number of guys are 10-20 lbs heavier. I think there's improvement in size, speed, strength, and depth. Remember this was virtually a new staff last season. Rockets added NFL experience to the staff, which I thought they needed. UT gave up about 25 points a game and just need to cut 1 opponent's TD a game.Also need to create more turnovers by the UT

Bottom line, Defense is the reason we havent won a MACC in eons.. 2015 was the best D we have had in many years but we failed down the stretch. Didnt we give up like a 3 and 33 agaisnt NIU late in the 4th qtr? The NIU and WMU losses in 2015 were two of the worst losses in the program history and it came in a year that could have/should have special year like WMU's 2016 season. If we can stop the run, we win the MACC this year. If we can't, another November nightmare.
08-05-2017 12:06 PM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(08-05-2017 12:06 PM)BDV27 Wrote:  

Bottom line, Defense is the reason we havent won a MACC in eons.. 2015 was the best D we have had in many years but we failed down the stretch. Didnt we give up like a 3 and 33 agaisnt NIU late in the 4th qtr? The NIU and WMU losses in 2015 were two of the worst losses in the program history and it came in a year that could have/should have special year like WMU's 2016 season. If we can stop the run, we win the MACC this year. If we can't, another November nightmare.

Rockets only gave up about 2.3 yds per carry to NIU. Campbell played too conservative defensively. He failed to have UT pressure their Freshman QB, once Hare went down. Graham was given all day to pass the FB(Campbell probably figured he would make the Freshman mistake that never happened). And of course two bonehead plays cost UT the WMU game.
The Rocket Defense only created 10 T/O last season vs 22 in 2015. That's a major problem. UT can't allow opponents to pass all over the place if they have to jam the box to stop the run.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2017 01:06 PM by Boca Rocket.)
08-05-2017 01:06 PM
AquaRocket Offline
Special Teams

(08-05-2017 01:06 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 12:06 PM)BDV27 Wrote:  

Rockets only gave up about 2.3 yds per carry to NIU. Campbell played too conservative defensively. He failed to have UT pressure their Freshman QB, once Hare went down. Graham was given all day to pass the FB(Campbell probably figured he would make the Freshman mistake that never happened). And of course two bonehead plays cost UT the WMU game.
The Rocket Defense only created 10 T/O last season vs 22 in 2015. That's a major problem. UT can't allow opponents to pass all over the place if they have to jam the box to stop the run.
Campbell, at least mentally, was already in Ames for those games. Especially for WMU. Very disappointing, but that is water under the bridge. T/O ratio is a huge factor... we'll see how this years team steps up. I'm expecting big things from our D this year. GO ROCKETS!!
08-05-2017 01:19 PM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
We were short-handed at linebacker last year which hurt us a lot on the run defense. It did get guys game experience for this year, and it looks like we bolstered that position for this year - but we lost a lot on the D-line that needs to be replace. I'm thinking we have more depth even if we don't have someone as talented as Hester and Stepic out there. Problem is, they don't have a lot of game experience and we don't really know how good they will be. Miami game could get ugly.
08-06-2017 06:07 AM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(08-06-2017 06:07 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  We were short-handed at linebacker last year which hurt us a lot on the run defense. It did get guys game experience for this year, and it looks like we bolstered that position for this year - but we lost a lot on the D-line that needs to be replace. I'm thinking we have more depth even if we don't have someone as talented as Hester and Stepic out there. Problem is, they don't have a lot of game experience and we don't really know how good they will be. Miami game could get ugly.

The Rocket OL's execution will be the determining factor in the Miami game.
"The U's" Offense is good, but not great. Their Defense is very good bordering on great. The Rocket DL lost Earl Moore early in the season and Hester for the Appalachian State game. Hester was not the same after the injury in the Ohio U game. Qbviously, the injury was severe enough to require surgery.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 07:02 AM by Boca Rocket.)
08-06-2017 07:02 AM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

(08-05-2017 10:57 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  The defense is definitely a big concern this season. Really not sure what to expect. Could our run defense get any worse?

Miami Hurricanes cap off week 1 of Fall camp. Video highlights their defense coached by former Rocket, Craig Kuligowski. I love the line by the lineman who said they want to be fast, violent, and legal.
http://spacecoastdaily.com/2017/08/video...-picks-up/
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 08:25 AM by SylvaniaRocket.)
08-06-2017 08:19 AM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(08-05-2017 10:57 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  The defense is definitely a big concern this season. Really not sure what to expect. Could our run defense get any worse?

Defense isn't a concern at EMU this year despite losing Pat O Conner, had several true frosh start, nice depth and competition this year at every defensive position. Second year in the 4-2-5 system. Looking for continuing improvement.
08-06-2017 10:39 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2017 10:39 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

Defense isn't a concern at EMU this year despite losing Pat O Conner, had several true frosh start, nice depth and competition this year at every defensive position. Second year in the 4-2-5 system. Looking for continuing improvement.

EMU has been getting more hype for this upcoming season than any season I can remember. Could they make a legitimate chase at the MAC West title or still a few years away?
08-06-2017 01:23 PM
toledobigmike Offline
1st String

(08-06-2017 01:23 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  

EMU has been getting more hype for this upcoming season than any season I can remember. Could they make a legitimate chase at the MAC West title or still a few years away?

I was VERY impressed with their coaching and execution. Put a couple recruiting classes together and they could be dangerous and MAC-W contenders.
08-06-2017 03:38 PM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2017 01:23 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  

Speaking of EMU, the UT Alumni Association is reporting that this Homecoming game will be at either noon or 3:30 pm.
08-08-2017 05:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.