Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Rod Brown on with Jason and John 8/4
Bookmark and Share
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
MyBB Rod Brown on with Jason and John 8/4
I know...some never listen to them...blah blah...

In any event, Rod was on today.

Talked about going to WSU. On the question of Memphis, 1st time Tubby saw Rod at a game, Rod was wearing a Memphis Tigers hoodie. At one point, Tubby told him to "keep working hard" but never offered him.

Even though Memphis had two open scholarships and Rod was amenable to red shirting, he was never offered.

Obviously, Gregg Marshall thought enough of him to offer.

The guy with Rod noted that Memphis has done a poor job in getting after Tyler Harris and were way late to the game on William Douglass.

He thought the Tigers "better" get Lomax because that's the only Memphis kid they have any chance with.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 02:10 PM by salukiblue.)
08-04-2017 02:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MEMPHIS TIGERS Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
Thanks for the recap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-04-2017 02:15 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: Rod Brown on with Jason and John 8/4
(08-04-2017 02:09 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  I know...some never listen to them...blah blah...

Talked about going to WSU. On the question of Memphis, 1st time Tubby saw Rod at a game, Rod was wearing a Memphis Tigers hoodie. At one point, Tubby told him to "keep working hard" but never offered him.

Even though Memphis had two open scholarships and Rod was amenable to red shirting, he was never offered.

The guy with Rod noted that Memphis has done a poor job in getting after Tyler Harris and were way late to the game on William Douglass.

He thought the Tigers "better" get Lomax because that's the only Memphis kid they have any chance with.

Thank you for the summary, albeit depressing.
08-04-2017 02:38 PM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Happy and sad
08-04-2017 05:17 PM
mtigerdiehard2006 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Greg Marshall likely offered Brown in order to increase his chances of landing other prospects. The fact of the matter is at 19 years-old Rod Brown was nearly a full year and in some cases a year and a half older than most of his peers that were in the Class of 2018, which explains his re-classification to 2017. By the time he suits up at Wichita State he will nearly be 21 years-old. He's a grown man. In addition, he functioned as an undersized power forward who lacked the jumper to play full-time on the wing, and lacked the size and post moves to be a full-time power forward at the next level. He's a classic tweener. He had big-time trouble guarding 6'4-6'5 Southwind Forward Carlos Marshall in the Secional Finals at Cordova, as Marshall nearly gave him 40, and Brown didn't offer much resistance. He's a solid prospect, but the film doesn't lie. https://youtu.be/ryParIheoJk

Memphis has better bigs on their roster in Mike Parks Jr. and Kyvon Davenport, and likely better true bigs on the way.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 05:29 PM by mtigerdiehard2006.)
08-04-2017 05:27 PM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

There was no reason to bring in Rod IMO esp with the influx of bigs on the roster. We needed a guard and roster management becomes important as it relates to future seasons.

If he was a 5* or maybe even a 4* recruit, it may have turned out differently.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 05:43 PM by tiger1016.)
08-04-2017 05:41 PM
Advertisement

FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech
(08-04-2017 05:27 PM)mtigerdiehard2006 Wrote:  Greg Marshall likely offered Brown in order to increase his chances of landing other prospects. The fact of the matter is at 19 years-old Rod Brown was nearly a full year and in some cases a year and a half older than most of his peers that were in the Class of 2018, which explains his re-classification to 2017. By the time he suits up at Wichita State he will nearly be 21 years-old. He's a grown man. In addition, he functioned as an undersized power forward who lacked the jumper to play full-time on the wing, and lacked the size and post moves to be a full-time power forward at the next level. He's a classic tweener. He had big-time trouble guarding 6'4-6'5 Southwind Forward Carlos Marshall in the Secional Finals at Cordova, as Marshall nearly gave him 40, and Brown didn't offer much resistance. He's a solid prospect, but the film doesn't lie. https://youtu.be/ryParIheoJk

Memphis has better bigs on their roster in Mike Parks Jr. and Kyvon Davenport, and likely better true bigs on the way.

You took the bait.
08-04-2017 05:47 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(08-04-2017 02:09 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  I know...some never listen to them...blah blah...

Nothing said about Brown is bad, he probably isn't better than anyone else we have at the 3-4 and I wouldn't have taken him if I was Tubby. We do badly need point guards and 2 guards. For 2019 we will wait and see how all of our bigs do. If they are all good then we are not too bad; but if only a couple are D1 players, we will have to use our schollies on bigs.

Just a horrible message on Harris and Douglass; all taken with a grain of salt considering the messenger, but consistent with stuff we have all heard about the staff.
08-04-2017 06:11 PM
EricSigEpTNBeta183 Offline
1st String

Im sorry but you don't waste a scholarship offer Bc you hope to get other kids. If you are taking about a package w close friends maybe but that doesn't happen that often. He recruited him Bc he liked what he sees in Rod Brown and personally I think he's going to play way above his rating. In a few years we'll be saying, "damn the kid was in our backyard and we didn't even offer him?"

What's the issue with Jason and John anyways? John went to Memphis so his love for the program is real. Jason loves it maybe not in the same way but loves it just the same. Both are good people as well. They don't make up or mislead with their stories and I've found 99% of them to be on point.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 07:32 PM by EricSigEpTNBeta183.)
08-04-2017 06:12 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm actually beginning to think this might go down as the worst recruiting coaching staff ever at Memphis. Some real potential with this group.
08-04-2017 07:30 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

The bottom line is that Tubby didn't want him. Possibly, due to the guys already on the team, possibly he didn't think he'd turn out to be a solid player. That's why he didn't go after him or Crutcher.

Not saying that he missed on either/both of them, but for some reason, he decided to pass. My guess is that he would have taken Brown shortly after the team imploded, but didn't think he would add enough to the team to sign him after he got the other guys.

We'll see if he's right on this one or not.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 08:18 PM by memtiger1987.)
08-04-2017 08:17 PM
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

My only thing is that Memphis still has two open spots this year, and according to some, there will be more defections at the end of the 2017-18 season, so what is the harm on taking a kid a) who Wichita State wants, 2) who WANTS to come to Memphis, and 3) is willing to redshirt and be a four year player?
08-04-2017 09:26 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(08-04-2017 05:41 PM)tiger1016 Wrote:  There was no reason to bring in Rod IMO esp with the influx of bigs on the roster. We needed a guard and roster management becomes important as it relates to future seasons.

If he was a 5* or maybe even a 4* recruit, it may have turned out differently.

Yeah, except Tubby is the HC and his main recruiter's mantra is "start unknown..."
08-04-2017 09:29 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(08-04-2017 09:26 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  My only thing is that Memphis still has two open spots this year, and according to some, there will be more defections at the end of the 2017-18 season, so what is the harm on taking a kid a) who Wichita State wants, 2) who WANTS to come to Memphis, and 3) is willing to redshirt and be a four year player?

Because almost everyone on the roster now will be gone in 2 years and as far as I'm concerned, we don't have a point guard on the roster right now.
08-04-2017 10:16 PM
TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

I trust Tubby.
08-05-2017 06:58 AM
SouthernBlue Offline
1st String

(08-04-2017 10:16 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 09:26 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  My only thing is that Memphis still has two open spots this year, and according to some, there will be more defections at the end of the 2017-18 season, so what is the harm on taking a kid a) who Wichita State wants, 2) who WANTS to come to Memphis, and 3) is willing to redshirt and be a four year player?

Because almost everyone on the roster now will be gone in 2 years and as far as I'm concerned, we don't have a point guard on the roster right now.

Sorry, I really like Martin as a point guard. And Kareem will do fine as a backup pg. We will be fine, much better than you think.
08-05-2017 10:35 AM
Advertisement

memtiger1987 Offline
All American

Most of you think Tubby is a lazy recruiter. Now, he's got two local kids (Crutcher and Brown) that want to play for the Tigers. It's simple, if he thought they'd help, he'd sign them. I think if Brown would have been available earlier, Tubby would have signed him asap. But, after he signed all the Jucos, I don't think he was needed.

Brown may turn out to be a great college player. Tubby just didn't see it.
08-05-2017 10:48 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(08-04-2017 10:16 PM)Stammers Wrote:  

That doesn't really impact Brown, though.

Assume Tubby signed and redshirted Brown. That leaves one open schollie for 2018 and also one for Rivers. You get a PG with one of those (Lomax/Harris/Smith) and another g/f or a big. If, like some folks here say, at least one more spot will open in the spring, you can get either the g/f or the big you didn't get.

That gives you Martin, Lomax, Johnson, Brewton, and Rhodes at the guard spot for 2018-19. Then, with the five or six open spots in 2019-20, he still will have Martin, Lomax, and Johnson and a couple other recruits at the guard position while only losing Martin.

I think the real screw up is if Memphis signs two guards this signing period because that means they will have six on the roster next year and only two guys on the roster signed for 2019-20 at the PF/C position (assuming both Azab and Enoh are still here) if they don't sign a big.
08-05-2017 10:57 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(08-05-2017 10:48 AM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  

Most of you think Tubby is a lazy recruiter. Now, he's got two local kids (Crutcher and Brown) that want to play for the Tigers. It's simple, if he thought they'd help, he'd sign them. I think if Brown would have been available earlier, Tubby would have signed him asap. But, after he signed all the Jucos, I don't think he was needed.

Again, Brown is willing to redshirt and there are two spots open, so it's not like Tubby would have had to sign him and be forced to play him this year.

More importantly it's just the inability of this staff to "get it." Late on Douglass. Groundwork should have been out there on Brown regardless. Late on Harris.

Now they are trying to pit Harris vs. Lomax from a position of weakness.

Both those guys already have better offers and Memphis is at least three years away from being a legit S16 type team (if EVERYTHING magically fell into place).

Just blunder after blunder. But hey, Coach BAM! tweets a lot, so there's that.
08-05-2017 11:01 AM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(08-05-2017 11:01 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 10:48 AM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  

Again, Brown is willing to redshirt and there are two spots open, so it's not like Tubby would have had to sign him and be forced to play him this year.

More importantly it's just the inability of this staff to "get it." Late on Douglass. Groundwork should have been out there on Brown regardless. Late on Harris.

Now they are trying to pit Harris vs. Lomax from a position of weakness.

Both those guys already have better offers and Memphis is at least three years away from being a legit S16 type team (if EVERYTHING magically fell into place).

Just blunder after blunder. But hey, Coach BAM! tweets a lot, so there's that.

Man, not sure how to be more clear, but Tubby didn't want him. He decided to pass on him.

He wants Lomax. He's working him hard. Not sure we are ever in a position of strength. It's not like he doesn't have other great offers. So Memphis fills up, it makes for an easy decision... You mentioned better offers. Why choose Memphis over Florida? If it's a better offer, why not just go to the better place?

You make it seem like Tubby can just make Lomax (or Harris) sign now. Neither wants to sign now. How do you make them sign..
08-05-2017 11:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.