Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How do you accurately determine a college team's market??
DawgNBama Offline
NCR Ranger

I Root For: p-natal vitamin
How do you accurately determine a college team's market??
I was looking at this post I copied from the AAC board

(07-19-2017 07:31 AM)Moody Magic Wrote:  The WSU thread about being great for the board got me thinking about what they add numbers wise. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I quickly ranked the metro areas by population for each AAC school. I'm not saying each school delivers their market but it is their base. Interesting to note the two schools with loudest/most annoying/vocal fans come from the two smallest markets.....

AAC rank - metro area (metro pop, US metro rank)

1. SMU - DFW (7,200,000 4th)
2. UH - Houston (6,800,000 5th)
3. Temple - Philly (6,100,000 7th)
4. USF - Tampa (3,000,000 18th)
5. Navy - Baltimore/Annapolis (2,700,000 21st)
6. UCF - Orlando (2,500,000 23rd)
7. Cincy - Cincinnati (2,200,000 28th)
8. Memphis - Memphis (1,300,000 42nd)
9. Tulane - New Orleans (1,300,000 46th)
10. UConn - Hartford (1,200,000 47th)
11. Tulsa - Tulsa (1,000,000 55th)
12. WSU - Wichita (600,000 87th)
13. ECU - Greenville, NC (200,000 236th)

Also, I included Annapolis in the Baltimore metro.

, and it got me thinking, "how does one accurately determine a college team's market?" With some teams, it's kinda obvious like UCLA's market is LA and Miami, Fl's market is Miami, etc. But how do you determine USC's market? It stands for the University of Southern California, so just how many markets can it claim? And Auburn has fans both in the states of Alabama and Georgia. What markets can they claim? See what I mean? So, how does one determine the market for each team??
07-29-2017 12:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
RE: How do you accurately determine a college team's market??
You don't. It's meaningless.

You determine the size of their fan base, the size of the population that watches them in hopes that they lose, and the size of th epopulation that's willing to watch them due to their quality of play (i.e. people that just want a good game).
07-29-2017 12:31 AM
DawgNBama Offline
NCR Ranger

(07-29-2017 12:31 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  You don't. It's meaningless.

You determine the size of their fan base, the size of the population that watches them in hopes that they lose, and the size of th epopulation that's willing to watch them due to their quality of play (i.e. people that just want a good game).

How do you accurately determine those three things? Some have a fan base in just one city, some have a fan base in an entire state, some have a fan base in a region, etc.
07-29-2017 12:46 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Markets are mostly meaningless.

ESPN, FS1 don't distribute to markets, they distribute nationally

RSNs like Fox South and Altitude distribute regionally.

Outside of OTA television, markets just don't mean anything.
07-29-2017 01:22 AM

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(07-29-2017 12:46 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

How do you accurately determine those three things? Some have a fan base in just one city, some have a fan base in an entire state, some have a fan base in a region, etc.
You're spending way too much time/effort focusing on arbitrary geographic distinctions that are largely meaningless.

My best guess at determining a school's fan base is to use a combination of:
*Attendance
*Merch sales
*Ratings (factoring in time, network, record, and opponent)
07-29-2017 01:44 AM
DawgNBama Offline
NCR Ranger

What's a good website for looking at merchandise sales? Forbes?
I'm not baiting, I'm not spamming, not calling anybody out, etc. I really want to know. I always feel like I'm at a loss in these market threads because I don't really know how to determine market, fan base size, etc., and I really want to because I want to make informed posts to reply to posts on markets.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2017 02:47 AM by DawgNBama.)
07-29-2017 02:02 AM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(07-29-2017 01:44 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

You're spending way too much time/effort focusing on arbitrary geographic distinctions that are largely meaningless.

*Attendance
*Merch sales

This. ECUs market may be small however we do well in the three items above. The weird thing is ECU is only an hour or so from Raleigh where most ECU fans live. Yet we can't count that as our TVmarket.
07-29-2017 02:47 AM

ken d Offline
Heisman

I Root For: college sports
It depends on what you are trying to sell, and to whom. If you are on the outside of the P5 looking in, you will want to claim the broadest possible market reach, whether you can demonstrate that's real or not.

If you draw well on TV, you will tout that. If you sell a lot of tickets, you will point to that as evidence of the breadth of your "market". Same with merchandise.

At the end of the day, the people who are buying will apply their own subjective judgment. The sellers' arguments will carry little weight.
07-29-2017 07:57 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Game
Market is an obsolete metric in terms of broadcasting. If Miami is at Oklahoma, the vast majority of the DFW fans will tune into that game over any SMU game. Conversely, if Miami were hosting Savannah State, few fans in Miami would tune in.

I'm sure the media moguls have some elaborate formula for determining what games they can get the most revenue from.
07-29-2017 09:05 AM
DawgNBama Offline
NCR Ranger

(07-29-2017 02:47 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  
(07-29-2017 01:44 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

*Attendance
*Merch sales

This. ECUs market may be small however we do well in the three items above. The weird thing is ECU is only an hour or so from Raleigh where most ECU fans live. Yet we can't count that as our TVmarket.

Why can't you claim Raleigh as your tv market? You may not be able to claim it exclusively, IMO, but I would think you would be able claim it.
07-29-2017 09:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.