Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Saban calls for all Power 5 schedule
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Alabama
He's said it before and he's saying it again.

It's a short video, but he offers some significant changes...

Saban talks to Michael and Jemelle

1. Power 5 to play all Power 5 to generate additional fan interest and TV audience

2. Expansion of playoffs
07-27-2017 12:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

AllTideUp Offline
1st String

RE: Saban calls for all Power 5 schedule
I posted the above before I saw the thread in the P5 forum. I should have searched for this article though which goes into much greater detail.

I'll leave it here though because I figure we can put a nice SEC spin on things...

Saban calls for 10 SEC games
07-27-2017 12:31 AM
XLance Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Carolina
pasted from the P5 forum

RE: Saban's ideas for CFB: All P5 scheduling, expanded playoff
What you have heard and read are the seeds of bowl elimination replaced by a round of playoffs.
If you can seed all of the teams with expanded P5 play, then you have a basis of the first round of the tournament, which could be played out over the month of December.
The Weed Eater bowl and the Sun Bowl will still exist, but the teams will be selected by seeding in a first round that will last a month instead of a weekend.
Why would those thoughts be coming from the SEC and the ACC?
Do you know who owns all of the bowls (sans two or three)?

If the Weed Eater bowl is a tournament game instead of a minor bowl game in Shreveport, do you think that viewership (advertising rates) would go up?
07-27-2017 07:10 AM
Gamecock Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Carolina
Maybe Saban could start by scheduling more than one power five game out of conference?
07-27-2017 07:36 AM

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(07-27-2017 07:36 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  Maybe Saban could start by scheduling more than one power five game out of conference?

The AD would have to accept 6 vice 7 home games first.
07-27-2017 09:24 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-27-2017 07:36 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  Maybe Saban could start by scheduling more than one power five game out of conference?

I was thinking the same thing. In the SEC, who even schedules 10 p5 games - besides S Carolina and Georgia? Yet he's talking 12?
07-27-2017 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(07-27-2017 09:48 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I was thinking the same thing. In the SEC, who even schedules 10 p5 games - besides S Carolina and Georgia? Yet he's talking 12?

He's telling you where the networks want this to go. So like E.F. Hutton you had better listen. I told you two years ago that the we would be headed toward all P games. The majority of the posters hooted. 5 years ago I told the board in my opening post that this was network driven and essentially a corporate takeover of college football and that realignment would be used as product placement to gain the maximum interest and exposure for the contests. That post met with the same scoffing.

Dabo's talking point has been a 13 game schedule that did away with the Spring Game as we know it and incorporated a pre season game against a G5 or FCS in state program a week to two weeks prior to the current opening of the season. Since that ticket could easily be sold for more than a Spring Game, and would represent the 7th home game for each P5 school, and would benefit the smaller state program, the concept is easily justified. Add to it the fact that it allows 2 sport athletes to compete in the Spring without football interference and it is a winner of an idea.

With all of the talk about G5 playoffs, eventually the schadenfreude over the P5 will die and that concept too will be adopted. That will permit the P5 to host a playoff that might expand. However I don't think it will expand much. The networks will push for the elimination of the conference championship game and will want to pit the #2 conference seed of one conference against the #1 seed of another and vice versa. That would take 2 schools from each of the remaining P conferences and make the playoff a three game affair. They will use this lure to kill off conference championships where the conference keeps the all of the revenue and replace it with having an extra school in the playoffs. I'm not sure the conferences will go for this.

If they don't we will keep the CCG and still have a champs only playoff.

The 12 P games is exactly what the networks have been after. I don't think we will move to 10 conference games though. I think we will have 9 conference games in conferences of roughly 16 schools (which works for playing everyone every 3 to 4 years) and that we will have 3 OOC P games to fill it out. Why?

Three will be needed for schools like Texas and Oklahoma should they wind up in different conferences. That way Texas could play both Oklahoma and Texas A&M and Texas Tech should they all wind up in different conferences. Oklahoma would be able to play Texas and Nebraska and still have the insurance of a game with a PAC school if they wanted to maintain West coast recruiting ties. Florida would be able to play both Miami and F.S.U. like they once did and still have a game against a Michigan.

It is the cross conference games that make ESPN and FOX the most money because two distinct regions are tied into one telecast which gives them the audience size they need to maximize ad rates.

Nobody tunes in to watch Directional Tech play Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, or Southern Cal, and the fans don't love it either if they are paying 65 dollars for three such tickets in their season books.

So since money more than championships has become the goal of the A.D. I look for the conferences to get to P games only within a decade or two. Each negotiation with the networks will now be driven by the inclusion of another P game and the commissioners will milk the process to get as much for them as they can. So we'll add those last 3 P games a game at a time. Most all of us are playing 9 P games already either in conference or in conference and out of conference combined.

Saban isn't pipe dreaming here. He's telling you where we are headed.
07-27-2017 10:34 AM

AllTideUp Offline
1st String

Basically what JR said...

But if you want to know the reason Saban isn't scheduling 10 Power games NOW, it's because virtually no one else is doing it. That's called a competitive disadvantage.

And if you two aren't scared of the competition as your chest-beating would indicate then you should embrace what Saban is calling for rather than being snarky about it.
07-27-2017 11:16 AM
Ewglenn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty

Florida
07-27-2017 08:54 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-27-2017 08:54 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

Florida

Not really. Look at their past OOC schedules. This year is unusual for the Gators. Much respect for the Gamecocks' schedule, though - you guys play 2 P5's OOC just about every year (in addition to your 8 SEC games).
07-27-2017 09:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.