Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cards Falling into Place
Bookmark and Share
LouisianaEagleEdD Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Southern Miss
Cards Falling into Place
USM has suffered through instability during critical moments, including the 0-12 season just as CUSA was imploding. Now, consider these factors and I think you'll see that the proverbial cards are falling into place.

1. President is stable.
2. New mayor supports USM.
3. Football is stabilizing and with another winning season, a third in a row, will be secure.
4. Baseball is coming off two good seasons and recruiting is getting better.
5. The area around campus is better and with Midtown will be even better.
6. The university has added engineering programs. These should be built upon moving forward.
7. The university is looking to grow to 20K between coast and Hattiesburg campuses. With out of state waivers this is more probable than before. And they are holding the line on academic standards.
07-24-2017 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

RE: Cards Falling into Place
(07-24-2017 12:44 PM)LouisianaEagleEdD Wrote:  USM has suffered through instability during critical moments, including the 0-12 season just as CUSA was imploding. Now, consider these factors and I think you'll see that the proverbial cards are falling into place.

1. President is stable.
2. New mayor supports USM.
3. Football is stabilizing and with another winning season, a third in a row, will be secure.
4. Baseball is coming off two good seasons and recruiting is getting better.
5. The area around campus is better and with Midtown will be even better.
6. The university has added engineering programs. These should be built upon moving forward.
7. The university is looking to grow to 20K between coast and Hattiesburg campuses. With out of state waivers this is more probable than before. And they are holding the line on academic standards.

1. Besides construction engineering, what programs did they add?

2. As long as the admissions and retention offices stabilize and get an actual organized plan of attack (especially on the coast, OM has stepped up and dominated recruiting at the coast High Schools), this is definitely possible. Also, with TOPS faltering, they need to increase recruiting efforts in Louisiana.
07-24-2017 01:16 PM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

Also, having the Ward 1 City Councilman (which covers USM as well) being a recent USM Grad definitely helps out the university.
07-24-2017 01:18 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

Feel like State is doing much better than OM down there. The IHL numbers seem to back this up: http://www.mississippi.edu/research/IDP_CntyEnr.html (click Mississippi table).

We lead the Coast counties in enrollment, but the best students tend to go to MSU or OM (sometimes LSU). The area is starting to become like Metro Jackson where we get plenty of students but it's mostly dregs whereas the top of the pack go to Starkville/Oxford.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2017 01:23 PM by BeagleUSM.)
07-24-2017 01:21 PM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

(07-24-2017 01:21 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  Feel like State is doing much better than OM down there. The IHL numbers seem to back this up: http://www.mississippi.edu/research/IDP_CntyEnr.html (click Mississippi table).

We lead the Coast counties in enrollment, but the best students tend to go to MSU or OM (sometimes LSU). The area is starting to become like Metro Jackson where we get plenty of students but it's mostly dregs whereas the top of the pack go to Starkville/Oxford.

I stand corrected by the data. My statement was purely anecdotal from what I've seen in and around Harrison County.
07-24-2017 01:25 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(07-24-2017 01:18 PM)SouthernMissSNu Wrote:  Also, having the Ward 1 City Councilman (which covers USM as well) being a recent USM Grad definitely helps out the university.

losing Kimbo didn't help (USM grad)....but yeah, the current city political make-up is should be better in relative terms than before with Toby at the helm.....how much that "helps" remains to be seen.....

I'm much more worried about infrastructure failure than any other issue right now....IMO, that's where the focus needs to be first and foremost....
07-24-2017 01:27 PM
Advertisement

SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

(07-24-2017 01:27 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(07-24-2017 01:18 PM)SouthernMissSNu Wrote:  Also, having the Ward 1 City Councilman (which covers USM as well) being a recent USM Grad definitely helps out the university.

losing Kimbo didn't help (USM grad)....but yeah, the current city political make-up is should be better in relative terms than before with Toby at the helm.....how much that "helps" remains to be seen.....

I'm much more worried about infrastructure failure than any other issue right now....IMO, that's where the focus needs to be first and foremost....

Kim Bradley was a great asset to the university. Jeffrey George should step right into that role as seamlessly as possible (with some growing pains).

I agree. There's a lot to clean up within the city going forward. Infrastructure and safety should definitely be a priority.
07-24-2017 01:38 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(07-24-2017 01:25 PM)SouthernMissSNu Wrote:  
(07-24-2017 01:21 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  Feel like State is doing much better than OM down there. The IHL numbers seem to back this up: http://www.mississippi.edu/research/IDP_CntyEnr.html (click Mississippi table).

I stand corrected by the data. My statement was purely anecdotal from what I've seen in and around Harrison County.

Yeah, I mean they're definitely improving there. About a 25% jump in Harrison County enrollment at OM since 2012. MSU is just doing a little better.

Tough for us going up against those schools when they have the SEC athletics, greek life, much larger endowments (more scholarship $$$), etc.
07-24-2017 01:39 PM
Bench Warmer

The new programs are ocean engineering and computer engineering.
07-24-2017 02:41 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

We need to work on Jackson recruiting since that seems to be an afterthought to most on campus.
07-24-2017 03:07 PM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

(07-24-2017 02:41 PM)LouisianaEagleEdD Wrote:  The new programs are ocean engineering and computer engineering.

Not necessarily what I think of when I hear "engineering", but it's a start.
07-24-2017 03:12 PM
Advertisement

Bench Warmer

Ocean engineering is a sub-discipline within civil. Very critical with coastal and ocean issues. Nice compliment to the already strong programs at USM.
07-24-2017 03:39 PM
Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USM
(07-24-2017 03:39 PM)LouisianaEagleEdD Wrote:  Ocean engineering is a sub-discipline within civil. Very critical with coastal and ocean issues. Nice compliment to the already strong programs at USM.

[Image: th?id=OIP.IvAA2i6KoUDUEnW7YqO6SwDaEd&...;amp;h=300]

The only thing unique and notable about USM academically is Polymer Science - used to be one of the top 5 in the US, and it is being neglected under the current leadership.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2017 07:17 PM by Black and Gold Battle Umbrella.)
07-24-2017 07:14 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(07-24-2017 07:14 PM)Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Wrote:  
(07-24-2017 03:39 PM)LouisianaEagleEdD Wrote:  Ocean engineering is a sub-discipline within civil. Very critical with coastal and ocean issues. Nice compliment to the already strong programs at USM.

The only thing unique and notable about USM academically is Polymer Science - used to be one of the top 5 in the US, and it is being neglected under the current leadership.

USM has many good alumni in computer science, construction management, nursing, the fine arts, etc. And you can talk down colleges that educate teachers, but the flip side of that is that a lot of good coaches went to USM, and even played for USM.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2017 07:51 PM by AndreWhere.)
07-24-2017 07:50 PM
stinkfist Online

(07-24-2017 07:50 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  

USM has many good alumni in computer science, construction management, nursing, the fine arts, etc. And you can talk down colleges that educate teachers, but the flip side of that is that a lot of good coaches went to USM, and even played for USM.

more times than I wish happened, higher education simply becomes what what one makes of it.....and he's not wrong about the polymer science dept with one exception (no Thames at the helm gives it that appearance)

however, you're also in the right in defense of other solid programs.....

while that may seem like it comes from a pacifist, I will assume you know that I am not....

picking fights are only necessary when req'd.....I don't see an argument worthy in either premise....nor do I believe either was intentionally malicious...

this is one of those times where I simply want to say, "See, Provide, and Continue to develop ALL moving forward Southern Miss!"
07-24-2017 08:43 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

We're definitely in the best place we have been in a while (though that's not saying a whole lot).

The problem athletically is there's no one left to sell whatever positive comes of all this. The P5 is closed. Any action there will involve a contraction instead of an expansion. We'll still have a shot at improving our lot when the Big 12 finally blows up, but it'll just be a higher caliber of leftovers.

Unfortunately, we're coming in about 20 years late and a few million dollars short.
07-24-2017 09:57 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(07-24-2017 09:57 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  We're definitely in the best place we have been in a while (though that's not saying a whole lot).

The problem athletically is there's no one left to sell whatever positive comes of all this. The P5 is closed. Any action there will involve a contraction instead of an expansion. We'll still have a shot at improving our lot when the Big 12 finally blows up, but it'll just be a higher caliber of leftovers.

Unfortunately, we're coming in about 20 years late and a few million dollars short.

you easily get how the finale plays out....always have....

it's a simple law of diminishing and reallocation....it's out of the fan's hands

we either improve investment/spending to a level of playing the game as req'd or succumb to the dolores....
07-24-2017 10:08 PM
Soaring Eagle Offline
Veni, vidi, vici

CrappiesCrappies

Polymer Science is not being neglected.

The program added Polymer Engineering as an undergraduate track recently. It is due to get its ABET accreditation in undergraduate engineering. The PhD program has had the engineering designation for some time. In 2010 the accelerator was opened and houses advanced material start up companies and expanded polymer research centers with top defense and aerospace companies. The professors in the department are involved in cutting edge research that brings alot of research funding and they are well cited in academic publications. Student numbers are also up for the program.

I be interested to hear how you think it is being neglected.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2017 01:40 AM by Soaring Eagle.)
07-25-2017 01:38 AM
Soaring Eagle Offline
Veni, vidi, vici

CrappiesCrappies
On the football stabilizing point.

I am a little concerned about this season in football. Hope I am wrong but I think a losing season is a possibility.
07-25-2017 01:53 AM
Sosoboi Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: SoMiss

The Dubard school is recognized globally...my wife has BS, MS, from Dubard. We have moved all over the world with my job in the oil and gas industry, and I have been amazed as to how her education has been recognized as she applies for jobs. Norway, Scotland, Australia, Nigeria...they recognized her Dubard education and welcomed her.

Also our Polymer Science (as you mentioned) and Chemistry PhD's are highly sought after in the oil and gas industry.
07-25-2017 06:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.