Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Where do your school's football/bball programs lie within the local sports hierarchy?
BrooklynRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardozo HS
Where do your school's football/bball programs lie within the local sports hierarchy?
The "Metro Market" thread made me think about how big of a ticket each school's major programs are within their own city/region.

Thought it would be interesting to compare and debate among the different AAC schools.

Cincinnati

1st Tier
-Cincinnati Bengals

2nd Tier
-Cincinnati Reds

3rd Tier
-Cincy/Xavier Basketball (Cincy Basketball has the higher ceiling with a bigger fanbase but Xavier's consistency makes them about even here)

4th Tier
-Cincy Football (This has taken a major hit as of recent with Tuberville's shortcomings but this can easily rise)

5th Tier
-OSU Football, FC Cincinnati, high school football

6th Tier
-Everything else (minor league hockey, Northern Kentucky U basketball, Miami U football/basketball, high school basketball, etc)
07-19-2017 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
RE: Where do your school's football/bball programs lie within the local sports hierarchy?
i'd say high school football is more popular than uc football
07-19-2017 10:26 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Where do your school's football/bball programs lie within the local sports hierarchy?
Tier 1:
UCONN

Tier 2:
Red Sox / Yankees
Pats / Giants
Celtics

Tier 3:
Connecticut Sun
Hartford Wolfpack (minor league hockey)
Hartford Yard Goats (minor league baseball)
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 11:29 AM by HuskyU.)
07-19-2017 10:34 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
I'll take a stab at Wichita.

1. Wichita Wingnuts. Pete Rose, Jr. is the manager. 'Nuff said.

2. Wichita Thunder. Minor League hockey at its finest.

3. Wichita Aeros. Disbanded in 1984. But damn, they played some fine AA baseball. I hear ole Crash still owns a bar down in Mulvane.

4. Wichita Force. 3rd Division Arena League football with 2nd Division asprirations.

5. Wichita Jr. Thunder.

6. Club Rodeo. Some of the finest steers east of Lubbock.

7. Wichita State Bowling. 20, count 'em, 20! national championships. They're arguably more popular that the Wichita Jr. Thunder.

8. Shocker Football.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 10:52 AM by geef.)
07-19-2017 10:51 AM
Moody Magic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
Dallas is tough. Obviously a pro sports city. I'll just rank them in order:

Jerry's team
Mavs
Stars
Rangers
UT
A&M
TCU
Baylor
SMU
07-19-2017 11:03 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(07-19-2017 10:34 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Tier 1:
UCONN

Tier 2:
Red Sox / Yankees
Pats / Giants
Celtics / Knicks

Tier 3:

Seriously? UConn is bigger than pro sports in Connecticut?
07-19-2017 11:15 AM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(07-19-2017 11:15 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  
UCONN

Tier 2:
Red Sox / Yankees
Pats / Giants
Celtics / Knicks

Tier 3:

Ya. Local sports always cover anything UCONN-related before the pros. It's also the one thing that unites all sports fans in CT. Everything else is split 50/50 between Boston and NY.

If I were to break up UCONN by the sport then ya, the Pats/Giants are bigger than UCONN football. But if you put all UCONN sports together (football, MBB, WBB, MSOC, Hockey), UCONN is the bigger deal.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 11:24 AM by HuskyU.)
07-19-2017 11:19 AM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
We're about even with the Tulsa Drillers.
07-19-2017 11:26 AM
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

UCONN

Tier 2:
Red Sox / Yankees
Pats / Giants
Celtics / Knicks

Tier 3:

I would take the Knicks out. Once upon a time they would have been included but they really don't have a strong local following in CT now since they've been terrible for so long. I guess I would also stick the Connecticut Sun in that 3rd tier as well.
07-19-2017 11:26 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(07-19-2017 11:26 AM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  
UCONN

Tier 2:
Red Sox / Yankees
Pats / Giants
Celtics / Knicks

Tier 3:

I would take the Knicks out. Once upon a time they would have been included but they really don't have a strong local following in CT now since they've been terrible for so long. I guess I would also stick the Connecticut Sun in that 3rd tier as well.

Very true. I was debating whether to include the Knicks. And completely forgot about the Sun. Thanks.
07-19-2017 11:28 AM
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

UCONN

Tier 2:
Red Sox / Yankees
Pats / Giants
Celtics / Knicks

Tier 3:

UConn is the only thing that people from all parts of CT root for together. Otherwise, there is a Red Sox/Yankees/Patriots/Giants divide. I would say that the NFL is certainly more popular than college football here but like I said, UConn is the unifying sports brand. UConn basketball, both men's and women's, basically share the number 1 spot in the state.
07-19-2017 11:30 AM
Advertisement

UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
(07-19-2017 11:30 AM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  
UCONN

Tier 2:
Red Sox / Yankees
Pats / Giants
Celtics / Knicks

Tier 3:

UConn is the only thing that people from all parts of CT root for together. Otherwise, there is a Red Sox/Yankees/Patriots/Giants divide. I would say that the NFL is certainly more popular than college football here but like I said, UConn is the unifying sports brand. UConn basketball, both men's and women's, basically share the number 1 spot in the state.

The NFL is definitely more popular than college football in CT. While I don't expect that to ever completely change, the numbers may shift a bit at some point due to on field results. In recent memory, the Patriots and Giants have been excellent while UConn football has been mediocre to bad. Somewhere near the end of a bad UConn football season, we all collectively think, "Well, at least we have the Patriots/Giants." If the day comes where the Patriots and Giants are bad at the same time and UConn is good, maybe Pats/Giants fans will think, "Well, at least we have UConn football."

In Edsall we trust.
07-19-2017 11:54 AM
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

(07-19-2017 11:54 AM)UConnHusky Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 11:30 AM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  
UCONN

Tier 2:
Red Sox / Yankees
Pats / Giants
Celtics / Knicks

Tier 3:

The NFL is definitely more popular than college football in CT. While I don't expect that to ever completely change, the numbers may shift a bit at some point due to on field results. In recent memory, the Patriots and Giants have been excellent while UConn football has been mediocre to bad. Somewhere near the end of a bad UConn football season, we all collectively think, "Well, at least we have the Patriots/Giants." If the day comes where the Patriots and Giants are bad at the same time and UConn is good, maybe Pats/Giants fans will think, "Well, at least we have UConn football."

In Edsall we trust.

Yeah, I think I would have the NFL in general on Tier 1 with UConn, followed by NBA/MLB in tier 2, with local minor league sports on tier 3.
07-19-2017 11:59 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

If we're going by leagues and not specific teams, I'd say:

Tier 1:
College Basketball
NFL
MLB

Tier 2:
NBA
NHL
College Football

Tier 3:
WNBA
MLS
Minor League Sports
Other College Sports
07-19-2017 12:07 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
(07-19-2017 12:07 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  If we're going by leagues and not specific teams, I'd say:

Tier 1:
College Basketball
NFL
MLB

Tier 2:
NBA
NHL
College Football

Tier 3:
WNBA
MLS
Minor League Sports
Other College Sports

I agree with this ranking. The only hard sport to slot is college hockey, since it doesn't neatly slot into the other college sports category. I think that UConn fans follow UConn hockey more than the other Tier 3 sports but not quite as much as college football in Tier 2. UConn hockey may even possibly have a greater following than the NHL and NBA in CT at this point from a live game perspective (there isn't as much UConn hockey on TV, so the NHL and NBA win the TV fan following argument by default). Anyway, I am not really sure if my take on college hockey in CT is accurate or slightly off.
07-19-2017 12:21 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
Greenville / Eastern NC

Tier 1:
ECU Football

Tier 2:
ECU Baseball
High School Football

Tier 3:
NFL Football (Panthers and some other teams because the Panthers are fairly young)

Tier 4:
NASCAR
Soccer
Golf

Tier 5:
College basketball
Air hockey
Fooseball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-19-2017 12:32 PM
Advertisement

Moody Magic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
(07-19-2017 12:32 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  Greenville / Eastern NC

Tier 1:
ECU Football

Tier 2:
ECU Baseball
High School Football

Tier 3:
NFL Football (Panthers and some other teams because the Panthers are fairly young)

Tier 4:
NASCAR
Soccer
Golf

Tier 5:
College basketball
Air hockey
Fooseball

I'm really surprised by your ranking of college basketball. I get that ECU might not capture everyone's attention but I thought hoops ruled the entire state of NC. Similat to Indiana. Is Greenville the exception to the rule in NC?
07-19-2017 02:18 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(07-19-2017 12:21 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 12:07 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  If we're going by leagues and not specific teams, I'd say:

Tier 1:
College Basketball
NFL
MLB

Tier 2:
NBA
NHL
College Football

Tier 3:
WNBA
MLS
Minor League Sports
Other College Sports

I agree with this ranking. The only hard sport to slot is college hockey, since it doesn't neatly slot into the other college sports category. I think that UConn fans follow UConn hockey more than the other Tier 3 sports but not quite as much as college football in Tier 2. UConn hockey may even possibly have a greater following than the NHL and NBA in CT at this point from a live game perspective (there isn't as much UConn hockey on TV, so the NHL and NBA win the TV fan following argument by default). Anyway, I am not really sure if my take on college hockey in CT is accurate or slightly off.

Ya, college hockey is an interesting one. It's definitely grown in popularity since the move to Hockey East. It may fall into Tier 2.5 along with the NHL.
07-19-2017 02:30 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU

Tier 1:
ECU Football

Tier 2:
ECU Baseball
High School Football

Tier 3:

Tier 4:
NASCAR
Soccer
Golf

Tier 5:
College basketball
Air hockey
Fooseball

I somehow doubt tier 5 is accurate. College basketball is too popular in the state and both UNC and NCSU have fans all over the state.
07-19-2017 02:32 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
(07-19-2017 02:32 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  

Tier 1:
ECU Football

Tier 2:
ECU Baseball
High School Football

Tier 3:

Tier 4:
NASCAR
Soccer
Golf

Tier 5:
College basketball
Air hockey
Fooseball

I somehow doubt tier 5 is accurate. College basketball is too popular in the state and both UNC and NCSU have fans all over the state.

I'm obviously exaggerating a bit. Tier 4 at the lowest. I will say that I've met more NASCAR and MLB (Pirate radio 1250 broadcasts Orioles games this time of year) fans in Greenville than college hoops fans, and like you said, those are half ACC hoops fans.

07-19-2017 02:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.