Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

45 Days to Kickoff... #45 Jr. PK Tyler Gray
Bookmark and Share
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Exclamation 45 Days to Kickoff... #45 Jr. PK Tyler Gray
[Image: gray_tyler_45.jpg?width=300]

Tyler hails from Winchester and returns as the starter for placekicking duties. With this loaded offense, this very well may be the most "overworked" placekicker in all of college football. :>)

Of course, Tyler came up huge at a critical moment a season ago. With NDSU gaining momentum and their fans back into it big time, I'm sure I wasn't alone when Tyler lined up for a 45 yard field goal with a little over 11 minutes left in the 17-17 tie game and I started yelling "come on Tyler, make this (expletive) thing!" His make really gave the team a boost and regained some of that momentum that we had lost in the 3Q.

You can bet we'll need Tyler to do something similar at some point this upcoming season. Good luck to Tyler. Get some rest, young man. You will be utilized A LOT.

Meet Tyler Gray: http://www.jmusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=13390
07-19-2017 06:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU_71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
RE: 45 Days to Kickoff... #45 Jr. PK Tyler Gray
(07-19-2017 06:35 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  [Image: gray_tyler_45.jpg?width=300]

Tyler hails from Winchester and returns as the starter for placekicking duties. With this loaded offense, this very well may be the most "overworked" placekicker in all of college football. :>)

Of course, Tyler came up huge at a critical moment a season ago. With NDSU gaining momentum and their fans back into it big time, I'm sure I wasn't alone when Tyler lined up for a 45 yard field goal with a little over 11 minutes left in the 17-17 tie game and I started yelling "come on Tyler, make this (expletive) thing!" His make really gave the team a boost and regained some of that momentum that we had lost in the 3Q.

You can bet we'll need Tyler to do something similar at some point this upcoming season. Good luck to Tyler. Get some rest, young man. You will be utilized A LOT.

No doubt that was one of the most clutch FG-makes in JMU history.
07-19-2017 08:27 AM
Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

(07-19-2017 08:27 AM)JMU_71 Wrote:  

interesting topic. I wonder what #1 would be, if it's not the NDSU kick? the playoff game winner at EKU into the wind a few years ago immediately comes to mind. not the most talented JMU team ever, but a pressure packed kick for sure.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 08:56 AM by Jay M. Youix.)
07-19-2017 08:56 AM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
(07-19-2017 08:27 AM)JMU_71 Wrote:  

The best was NotMike's tweet about that FG:

[Image: R8KWoQf.png]
07-19-2017 09:27 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

Cameron's kick to end the game at Liberty was pressure packed as well.
07-19-2017 09:34 AM
bjk3047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUKES.
I'd argue for Paul Wantuck at William and Mary in 2005. 44 yarder to win 30-29 at the final horn (for a kicker who did not have that range), juuuust snuck over the crossbar.

Clutch given the circumstances moreso than of playoff importance.
07-19-2017 10:09 AM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-19-2017 10:09 AM)bjk3047 Wrote:  I'd argue for Paul Wantuck at William and Mary in 2005. 44 yarder to win 30-29 at the final horn (for a kicker who did not have that range), juuuust snuck over the crossbar.

I thought it was 47? Either way, so clutch. I did not however enjoy our starting kicker sulking post-game because Mickey gave the kick to Wantuck. Gotta celebrate with your team dude! And let me state definitively before someone says otherwise. No, it did not hit the crossbar. It hit the goalpost after going over the crossbar.

Also, that was the last game the MRD's played on the field in Williamsburg. The whole band was lining the sidelines when he made it & yes, a ton of us rushed the field to celebrate when it was good. That scene combined with their heartbreaking loss to us in the semis the year before sealed the deal. Some tribe students/alums made a stink about giving up their homefield advantage (which is fairly nonexistent at W&M) & the band was no longer welcome to perform halftime/post game there. In 2007, the band was allowed back with an insanely restrictive set of guidelines on when they could & could not play from the stands. It was obviously intended to deter us from bringing a pep band. Still remember the tribe cheer coach making a fool of herself yelling at the MRD staff because the band played the fight song at the end of the half when her "girls" were about to take the field for a weird "feature performance". After we won, the MRDs played EVERY SINGLE thing the kids knew during post-game. Fantastic passive-aggressive middle finger.
07-19-2017 10:57 AM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

(07-19-2017 10:57 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 10:09 AM)bjk3047 Wrote:  I'd argue for Paul Wantuck at William and Mary in 2005. 44 yarder to win 30-29 at the final horn (for a kicker who did not have that range), juuuust snuck over the crossbar.

I thought it was 47? Either way, so clutch. I did not however enjoy our starting kicker sulking post-game because Mickey gave the kick to Wantuck. Gotta celebrate with your team dude! And let me state definitively before someone says otherwise. No, it did not hit the crossbar. It hit the goalpost after going over the crossbar.

Also, that was the last game the MRD's played on the field in Williamsburg. The whole band was lining the sidelines when he made it & yes, a ton of us rushed the field to celebrate when it was good. That scene combined with their heartbreaking loss to us in the semis the year before sealed the deal. Some tribe students/alums made a stink about giving up their homefield advantage (which is fairly nonexistent at W&M) & the band was no longer welcome to perform halftime/post game there. In 2007, the band was allowed back with an insanely restrictive set of guidelines on when they could & could not play from the stands. It was obviously intended to deter us from bringing a pep band. Still remember the tribe cheer coach making a fool of herself yelling at the MRD staff because the band played the fight song at the end of the half when her "girls" were about to take the field for a weird "feature performance". After we won, the MRDs played EVERY SINGLE thing the kids knew during post-game. Fantastic passive-aggressive middle finger.

Good stuff from you both. That kick was very clutch considering we lose if it's missed and we know we aren't going to the playoffs if we lose. We still had the slimmest of chances to make it--obviously, we didn't.
07-19-2017 12:07 PM
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

I remember this well and I think I was just about in line with goal post on the field waiting to go on for postgame. It was definitely clutch!
07-19-2017 12:40 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes

[Image: cartman-delicious-tears-tribe-fans-give-...-tears.jpg]

That kick and the 04 postseason win were definitely my favorite W&M memories because of what they did to us at the end of regulation in 04.

Not much beats the 2006 midfield spider stomp though
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 12:54 PM by Deez Nuts.)
07-19-2017 12:53 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Eff Richmond.
07-19-2017 03:50 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I'd add in @ defending national champion & #1 YSU in 1992, JMU kicks winning FG with 6 seconds left to pull off the stunning upset.
http://commons.lib.jmu.edu/cgi/viewconte...=i19901999

In 2002 JMU kicked a 42 yd FG in OT to beat W&M & a 50 yarder in 2OT to beat Hofstra (after missing from 46 in the 2nd qtr and 34 in the 1st OT).

How many game winning FG did Scott Norwood make for JMU? I know he missed one for Buffalo in the Super Bowl..
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 08:26 PM by BDKJMU.)
07-19-2017 05:38 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-19-2017 05:38 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  How many game winning FG did Scott Norwood make for JMU? I know he missed a couple for Buffalo in Super Bowls lol..

I saw this on the net the other day...

[Image: CWEzIbJWIAEYfoy.jpg]

...I'll give points for creativity, but OUCH! 03-nutkick

:>)
07-19-2017 05:45 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

Back in Norwood's day, JMU wasn't the team it is today. We didn't have nearly as many opportunities to kick. Scott had a really strong leg and regularly practiced and made them beyond the 50 yard line (60+ yard FG). As best I can remember he only had one opportunity for that distance and missed miserably, but the word got to the NFL that he was special. He had a great career except for the one wide right. He actually lead the NFL in scoring one or two seasons.
07-19-2017 07:14 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-19-2017 07:14 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  Back in Norwood's day, JMU wasn't the team it is today. We didn't have nearly as many opportunities to kick. Scott had a really strong leg and regularly practiced and made them beyond the 50 yard line (60+ yard FG). As best I can remember he only had one opportunity for that distance and missed miserably, but the word got to the NFL that he was special. He had a great career except for the one wide right. He actually lead the NFL in scoring one or two seasons.

And the biggest insult after maybe the most famous FG miss in Super Bowl history,
"after the 1991 season the Bills sign a promising new kicker, Steve Christie of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and waive the 31 year old Norwood."
you get cut and replaced by a kicker from W&M..

That miss was 26+ years ago. Came across this interesting article from 13 years ago, "A Life After Wide Right"
https://www.si.com/vault/2004/07/12/3764...-direction
07-19-2017 08:25 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-19-2017 07:14 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  Back in Norwood's day, JMU wasn't the team it is today. We didn't have nearly as many opportunities to kick. Scott had a really strong leg and regularly practiced and made them beyond the 50 yard line (60+ yard FG). As best I can remember he only had one opportunity for that distance and missed miserably, but the word got to the NFL that he was special. He had a great career except for the one wide right. He actually lead the NFL in scoring one or two seasons.

Sadly, the 47 yarder that he missed was considered, (at the time), the outer limit of his range on grass. Sucks that it didn't work out for him, but the home town Buffalo fans have been pretty classy towards him over the years.
07-19-2017 10:31 PM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-19-2017 10:31 PM)olddawg Wrote:  

Sadly, the 47 yarder that he missed was considered, (at the time), the outer limit of his range on grass. Sucks that it didn't work out for him, but the home town Buffalo fans have been pretty classy towards him over the years.

I agree completely. I was specifically speaking of watching him practice while at JMU and kicking off that hard as he!! carpet we played on. He could bang them through the crossbars at ease from beyond the 50 yard-line. With that being said, had his "wide right" been through the uprights, it could have easily been just as good from 57 yards, distance didn't prevent it from going through. I'm not so sure that he wasn't too juiced as he drove his foot into the ball.
07-19-2017 11:52 PM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

(07-19-2017 05:38 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  

I'd add in @ defending national champion & #1 YSU in 1992, JMU kicks winning FG with 6 seconds left to pull off the stunning upset.

In 2002 JMU kicked a 42 yd FG in OT to beat W&M & a 50 yarder in 2OT to beat Hofstra (after missing from 46 in the 2nd qtr and 34 in the 1st OT).

How many game winning FG did Scott Norwood make for JMU? I know he missed one for Buffalo in the Super Bowl..

Good pull BDK! I can't believe I forgot about that kick by Trey. Of course, Trey missed a makeable kick against Terry Bowden's coached Samford team in the 1991 playoffs that would've put JMU in the Nat'l Semifinals.
07-20-2017 09:16 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-20-2017 09:16 AM)JMU_71 Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 05:38 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  

Good pull BDK! I can't believe I forgot about that kick by Trey. Of course, Trey missed a makeable kick against Terry Bowden's coached Samford team in the 1991 playoffs that would've put JMU in the Nat'l Semifinals.

Thanks. I just remembered that JMU had beaten then defending Nat Champs & #1 YSU by 3. Didn't know it was an end of the game field goal until I looked it up.

I know there's some old timers on here who swear that kick vs Samford that went above one of the uprights was good. Who knows what would have happened if called differently. Samford then lost @ YSU in the semis 10-0, and YSU beat Marshall in the NC (the 1st of 3 straight NC games between those 2 teams, and 4 straight appearances for YSU)..
07-20-2017 10:03 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

Gray's kick is #1 and its not even close.

with the way the game and momentum was going, he misses that and sets up NDSU with a shorter field, we may lose that game.

instead, he ******* nailed it !!!!

and order was restored and our boys realized once again we were the superior team and were going to win not just that game but the national championship.

Gray was the junkie shot in the arm the team needed at that moment.
07-20-2017 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.