Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Other Schools Thoughts on UMKC
Bookmark and Share
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMKC
Other Schools Thoughts on UMKC
Since nobody at other schools in MVC thought highly of UMKC and really didn't want us besides Wichita St. I was wondering what other WAC schools thought about us? Do you think we should leave/be replaced? I guess this thread could include Chicago St or the east portion of WAC. Do you think our schools have potential?
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 02:39 PM by RoosHouse.)
07-16-2017 02:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

edinburger Online
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
RE: Other Schools Thoughts on UMKC
(07-16-2017 02:38 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  Since nobody at other schools in MVC thought highly of UMKC and really didn't want us besides Wichita St. I was wondering what other WAC schools thought about us? Do you think we should leave/be replaced? I guess this thread could include Chicago St or the east portion of WAC. Do you think our schools have potential?

Every night I give a prayer of thanks that we have UMKC. And Chicago State. Because if it weren't for you, UTRGV wouldn't be in a conference with an automatic bid and we'd go back to being a drifting lonely unattached outpost of Division I with not even the theoretical possibility of a post season.

And unlike some other WAC schools we don't constantly whine that we could do better or that we could replace you with someone better. Believe it or not, people at UTRGV are proud of being in the WAC.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 03:28 PM by edinburger.)
07-16-2017 03:23 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
All schools have potential. Its just whether they reach it or not. With Richardson I believe UMKC's potential is limited to being in the middle of the WAC. He can't justify buy in post season tournaments forever as success. He is 54-75 as head coach. I though it was a mistake that he got a contract extension and can see him being UMKC's version of Cameron Dollar.

Richardson has had some good recruits. But I don't think he has properly utilized them.
07-16-2017 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

My ideal Wac Would be

East Division
1.UMKC
2.Chicago St. replace with Oral Roberts if bankrupt
3.NMSU
4.UTRGV
5.Denver

West Divsion
1. GCU
2. CSUB
3. UVU
4.Cal Baptist
5. UCSD
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 03:51 PM by RoosHouse.)
07-16-2017 03:50 PM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
I like UMKC, personally. I mean, the WAC is what it is currently and they are in the conference, however the reason. So, yah, I want them to be good to raise the level of the conference.
I do wish more Roo fans would visit this board though. I think maybe the lack of participation may tend to have some wonder about the Roo's ..... fit though. (??)

Currently mobile....away from the house or on the 'throne.'
07-16-2017 05:38 PM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
I dont dislike UMKC (or Chicago State) but I'd prefer both wernt in the WAC and instead were two Texas or western schools.
07-16-2017 09:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(07-16-2017 02:38 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  Since nobody at other schools in MVC thought highly of UMKC and really didn't want us besides Wichita St. I was wondering what other WAC schools thought about us? Do you think we should leave/be replaced? I guess this thread could include Chicago St or the east portion of WAC. Do you think our schools have potential?

I'm largely indifferent to UMKC. I don't like or dislike the university or teams. You just... exist. Everyone loves an underdog, so I do like and root for Dildy/Chicago St to find success.
07-16-2017 10:48 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
I agree with Crimson that schools have potential. What I like about UMKC is that they are the only D1 school in the city and there is no NBA team in the city. Their issues are attendance and interest in their program. It seems like no one cares about UMKC basketball.

I thought Richardson might do a better job of recruiting and player development, having coached with Rick Pitino. The men's athletic programs at UMKC are not impressive. No football, no baseball, men's soccer was dead last in the WAC and men's basketball has been mediocre. The AD needs to fix that.

UMKC should stay in the WAC. If they can win in the WAC in basketball maybe that opens up some interest from the MVC.
07-17-2017 09:29 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
UMKC brings excellent academics, a great television market, and a great historical basketball facility to the WAC. I like the Midwest flavor the Roos and Chicago State bring to the WAC.
07-17-2017 09:45 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

(07-17-2017 09:45 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  UMKC brings excellent academics, a great television market, and a great historical basketball facility to the WAC. I like the Midwest flavor the Roos and Chicago State bring to the WAC.

+1
07-17-2017 10:38 AM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
(07-17-2017 09:29 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  I agree with Crimson that schools have potential. What I like about UMKC is that they are the only D1 school in the city and there is no NBA team in the city. Their issues are attendance and interest in their program. It seems like no one cares about UMKC basketball.

I thought Richardson might do a better job of recruiting and player development, having coached with Rick Pitino. The men's athletic programs at UMKC are not impressive. No football,
no baseball, men's soccer was dead last in the WAC and men's basketball has been mediocre. The AD needs to fix that.

UMKC should stay in the WAC. If they can win in the WAC in basketball maybe that opens up some interest from the MVC.

Seattle U reminds me a lot of UMKC for these reasons. Similar situations of underperforming schools. You could replace UMKC with SU in the bold text and it would fit perfectly. I think UMKC needs a new coach asap. Look what its done practically immediately for SU and UVU.
07-17-2017 12:09 PM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
For me as a Aggie fan, I'm less concern with UMKC's location than what they can do on the court. NMSU had great basketball a rivalry with Indiana State back in the Missouri Valley in late 1970's . And, to a lesser extent a good basketball rivalry with Western Kentucky while in the Sunbelt. Aggie fans are more concerned with the competition.

I'm not sure if the Roos fans feel Richardson is the right coach for their program but it does appear he has plateaued with what he can do there. If UMKC could hire a more seasoned coach similar to CSUB's Barnes and then become a more relevant basketball member, then most negative perceptions about the Roos program would change. Just my opinion.
07-17-2017 12:21 PM
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

I feel that we are going to take a step back next year in the 250-300 kenpom ranking. Nobody knows who the best player is. I wan't that high on coach rich until he bounced back without Martez this year.
07-17-2017 05:38 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
As a long-time WAC fan who has continued to closely follow and root for the conference since Hawaii's departure, I appreciate the important role that CSU and UMKC have played in helping the WAC survive its transition from the FBS days.

Nonetheless I don't believe the WAC's current stretched footprint over three time zones is sustainable in the long run for a non-football conference with minimal TV revenue. At some point, perhaps sooner rather than later, the WAC's marriage of convenience with CSU and UMKC should come to an end. That will make it easier for the WAC to convince more D-II schools in the pacific and/or mountain time zones to follow in the footsteps of GCU and Cal Baptist.

I also think CSU will be better off moving down to D-II where it can better afford to compete, and UMKC will be better off back in the Summit where it will sit close to the geographic center of the conference.

Just my opinion.
07-18-2017 12:27 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

(07-18-2017 12:27 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  As a long-time WAC fan who has continued to closely follow and root for the conference since Hawaii's departure, I appreciate the important role that CSU and UMKC have played in helping the WAC survive its transition from the FBS days.

Nonetheless I don't believe the WAC's current stretched footprint over three time zones is sustainable in the long run for a non-football conference with minimal TV revenue. At some point, perhaps sooner rather than later, the WAC's marriage of convenience with CSU and UMKC should come to an end. That will make it easier for the WAC to convince more D-II schools in the pacific and/or mountain time zones to follow in the footsteps of GCU and Cal Baptist.

I also think CSU will be better off moving down to D-II where it can better afford to compete, and UMKC will be better off back in the Summit where it will sit close to the geographic center of the conference.

Just my opinion.

It is impossible to tell how things will evolve over the next five years. I feel that there will be a conference that does not make it. I think the Summit is the league with the most concerns at this time and for UMKC to jump back into it would be foolish. Fort Wayne wants into the Horizon and that may happen next year. If Fort Wayne leaves, the Summit is at five baseball & men's soccer schools. That could open up the flood gates and schools like Denver and Oral Roberts could come flowing out. Maybe even Omaha. UMKC should not make a move to the Summit. If they left the WAC and the Summit collapsed, they could be without a conference home.

As for Chicago State, with their arena and the talent in the Chicago area, why drop down? They take bus trips to Big Ten schools for $100,000 and they get $250,000 in revenue from the WAC. They have home games in basketball this season with Bradley from the MVC and Northern Illinois from the MAC. I just don't see why they would drop down.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2017 10:09 AM by SoCalBobcat78.)
07-18-2017 10:08 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(07-18-2017 12:27 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  As a long-time WAC fan who has continued to closely follow and root for the conference since Hawaii's departure, I appreciate the important role that CSU and UMKC have played in helping the WAC survive its transition from the FBS days.

Nonetheless I don't believe the WAC's current stretched footprint over three time zones is sustainable in the long run for a non-football conference with NO TV revenue. At some point, perhaps sooner rather than later, the WAC's marriage of convenience with CSU and UMKC should come to an end. That will make it easier for the WAC to convince more D-II schools in the pacific and/or mountain time zones to follow in the footsteps of GCU and Cal Baptist.

Just my opinion.

Fixed it for you.
07-18-2017 10:49 AM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(07-18-2017 10:08 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

Just my opinion.

It is impossible to tell how things will evolve over the next five years. I feel that there will be a conference that does not make it. I think the Summit is the league with the most concerns at this time and for UMKC to jump back into it would be foolish. Fort Wayne wants into the Horizon and that may happen next year. If Fort Wayne leaves, the Summit is at five baseball & men's soccer schools. That could open up the flood gates and schools like Denver and Oral Roberts could come flowing out. Maybe even Omaha. UMKC should not make a move to the Summit. If they left the WAC and the Summit collapsed, they could be without a conference home.

As for Chicago State, with their arena and the talent in the Chicago area, why drop down? They take bus trips to Big Ten schools for $100,000 and they get $250,000 in revenue from the WAC. They have home games in basketball this season with Bradley from the MVC and Northern Illinois from the MAC. I just don't see why they would drop down.

I'm curious were you got the $250,000 in revenue from the WAC?

I ask because it is $100,000.
07-19-2017 11:39 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

(07-19-2017 11:39 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

Just my opinion.

The WAC received $1.7 million in NCAA tournament basketball revenue this past season. Divided among seven schools (GCU was not eligible) that would be almost $250,000. That does not include any other revenue the WAC might generate.
07-19-2017 08:16 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(07-19-2017 08:16 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 11:39 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

Just my opinion.

The WAC received $1.7 million in NCAA tournament basketball revenue this past season. Divided among seven schools (GCU was not eligible) that would be almost $250,000. That does not include any other revenue the WAC might generate.

Well then the WAC short changed NMSU, because all we got from them this year was a $100,000.

Quote:The university also received a $100,000 distribution payment from the Western Athletic Conference and a $250,000 distribution payment from the Sun Belt Conference.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/c...482329001/
07-19-2017 10:42 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
UMKC calls home a historic venue with a cool nickname. On my bucket list as I want to see this in person.
[Image: 1445228511.png]

I still occasionally think of that crazy '05 ChiSt/UMKC game when both teams were rolling.

What's cool about KC (relative to urban Midwest extension campuses...UNO/UWM/IUPUI)
Omaha - Creighton, UNO hockey
Milwaukee - Bucks, Marquette
Indy - Pacers, Butler
Kansas City - nothing

There's a niche waiting within KC confines for the Kangaroos. Don't know if it'll be 5 years or 50 years, but it'll happen one day.
07-19-2017 11:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.