http://lrtrojans.com/sports/2017/7/11/fo...study.aspx

Surprised none of y'all have been all over this
07-12-2017 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
RE: LR to Conduct Feasibilty Study for Football & Marching Band
Super happy to see it! Even if we don't add football, at least we'll have it there in black and white why. It's also fun to watch the old guard "let's keep this a commuter campus" folks squirm in their seats a little.
07-12-2017 04:37 PM
Robert C Offline
littlerocktrojans.com

I Root For: LR,Tulsa
It will be interesting to see how many people will want this enough to support it as fans. But we know the biggest challenge is $$$. We won't get a football program and marching band if we can't afford it no matter the public demand. It's so damn expensive. Also basketball will suffer and Title IX issues will be exacerbated. You can't deny two things: 1) in the South football is king and 2) the LR Hog fans are disgruntled about losing local games.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 10:48 PM by Robert C.)
07-12-2017 10:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Online
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I'm a cynic.
City is paying for part because they don't want to lose the parking revenue. Parks and Tourism is paying part because they are stuck with an old facility with significant upkeep and want to find a way to make some money.

The old stadium commission and city tried to get AState to move the Mizzou game. St. Louis was offering to pay $1.5 million and Kansas City offered AState just under $2 million cash money to move the game. Little Rock's offer was we could pay them $7500 and they'd keep parking and concessions.

We've had FOUR opportunities to have a bowl game in Little Rock. First was when Independence was in financial trouble and wanted to rotate between Shreveport, Little Rock and Jackson, MS or at least one of them. They got told to take a hike. Head of the old Detroit Bowl wanted to do a game and he got laughed out of the room. Peterson tried and had the MAC and Sun Belt ready to go but the group he put together didn't like the dates ESPN offered so while they were looking at other TV options Montgomery signed with ESPN. Tried again the next year, got conditional NCAA approval but couldn't get the money together.

Heck apparently no one has even bothered to line up sponsorship money to make the Hogs an offer they can refuse, they sure didn't seem to mind taking Jerry's money to get a game out of Fayetteville.
07-12-2017 11:23 PM

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(07-12-2017 11:23 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I'm a cynic.
City is paying for part because they don't want to lose the parking revenue. Parks and Tourism is paying part because they are stuck with an old facility with significant upkeep and want to find a way to make some money.

The old stadium commission and city tried to get AState to move the Mizzou game. St. Louis was offering to pay $1.5 million and Kansas City offered AState just under $2 million cash money to move the game. Little Rock's offer was we could pay them $7500 and they'd keep parking and concessions.

We've had FOUR opportunities to have a bowl game in Little Rock. First was when Independence was in financial trouble and wanted to rotate between Shreveport, Little Rock and Jackson, MS or at least one of them. They got told to take a hike. Head of the old Detroit Bowl wanted to do a game and he got laughed out of the room. Peterson tried and had the MAC and Sun Belt ready to go but the group he put together didn't like the dates ESPN offered so while they were looking at other TV options Montgomery signed with ESPN. Tried again the next year, got conditional NCAA approval but couldn't get the money together.

Heck apparently no one has even bothered to line up sponsorship money to make the Hogs an offer they can refuse, they sure didn't seem to mind taking Jerry's money to get a game out of Fayetteville.

I'm a cynic as well. According to our AD, the study will be done and all the facts (costs, benefits to the university and city, how it will effect enrollment, etc.) will be laid out but the firm won't make a recommendation. He does not know what will come out of it, but rightly points out that this is the "perfect" time to do this- the hogs are moving out, the stadium commission is discussing possible renovations which will likely make the stadium more soccer friendly- Reducing the capacity and putting in "real" seats would be nice. Maybe the city is "ready" for a football team to call their own. If it doesn't happen now, most of us will be long gone before the issue is brought up again. I'm not 100% sure where I stand on the issue, but it would be exciting if some of the big money folks in LR really got behind this effort. Obviously, it's a mute point if they don't.
07-13-2017 09:46 AM
arkstfan Online
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(07-13-2017 09:46 AM)mjs Wrote:  

I'm a cynic as well. According to our AD, the study will be done and all the facts (costs, benefits to the university and city, how it will effect enrollment, etc.) will be laid out but the firm won't make a recommendation. He does not know what will come out of it, but rightly points out that this is the "perfect" time to do this- the hogs are moving out, the stadium commission is discussing possible renovations which will likely make the stadium more soccer friendly- Reducing the capacity and putting in "real" seats would be nice. Maybe the city is "ready" for a football team to call their own. If it doesn't happen now, most of us will be long gone before the issue is brought up again. I'm not 100% sure where I stand on the issue, but it would be exciting if some of the big money folks in LR really got behind this effort. Obviously, it's a mute point if they don't.

I don't think the start-up costs are that huge of a barrier. The annual operating costs are the battle.
07-13-2017 10:10 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-13-2017 10:10 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 09:46 AM)mjs Wrote:  

I don't think the start-up costs are that huge of a barrier. The annual operating costs are the battle.

What is your opinion with regard to the popularity of football in the area? I always felt the idea of supporting UALR football, in this city, when we have trouble drawing 2000 for basketball was totally ridiculous. Is football really that much more popular that 10X as many people will come out to LR football games, than do for basketball games? I find that hard to believe, but maybe I'm wrong. Right now a significant portion of our fan base is older- I don't see those folks sitting in the rain, on hard metal bleachers, to watch a losing football team (at best, it will take a while to start winning).
07-13-2017 11:01 AM

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I wonder if the folks that do the study, include some sort of survey of the Little Rock population, to get an idea how many folks would actually support a football team (i.e. go to games, buy season tickets, donate financially to the program).
07-13-2017 11:03 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arkansas State
First off, yes football is king in the south and I think there would be an immediate "niche group" that would develop and turn out for games. (I won't speculate and say how many but if there are 2-3,000 that show up for Hendrix games and even several hundred for Lyon games in Batesville, I have no doubt in my mind there'd be a couple of thousand intrigued, football hungry peeps that would show up to War Memorial). The biggie will be how quick can they become competitive and start having successful seasons? Everybody loves winners and winning does more than look good on paper (ask Astate fans and peeps with the recent massive budget increases and facility improvements)

Another thing to keep in mind is how they're marketed in Little Rock. Perfect example is the Little Rock Rangers-I thought it was dead on arrival when they were first announced. But not only did they establish themselves at the perfect time (with this sudden revival of popularity with soccer in the country) but they've been really smart and really focused on trying to appeal to the "young and hipster crowds" by getting food truck vendors involved, along with the local breweries giving people another excuse to tailgate at War Memorial. I know quite a bit of people my age and who I went to school with that turn out to Rangers games quite frequently, even some that are season ticket holders now.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 11:26 AM by RamblinRedWolf.)
07-13-2017 11:25 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-13-2017 11:25 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  First off, yes football is king in the south and I think there would be an immediate "niche group" that would develop and turn out for games. (I won't speculate and say how many but if there are 2-3,000 that show up for Hendrix games and even several hundred for Lyon games in Batesville, I have no doubt in my mind there'd be a couple of thousand intrigued, football hungry peeps that would show up to War Memorial). The biggie will be how quick can they become competitive and start having successful seasons? Everybody loves winners and winning does more than look good on paper (ask Astate fans and peeps with the recent massive budget increases and facility improvements)

Another thing to keep in mind is how they're marketed in Little Rock. Perfect example is the Little Rock Rangers-I thought it was dead on arrival when they were first announced. But not only did they establish themselves at the perfect time (with this sudden revival of popularity with soccer in the country) but they've been really smart and really focused on trying to appeal to the "young and hipster crowds" by getting food truck vendors involved, along with the local breweries giving people another excuse to tailgate at War Memorial. I know quite a bit of people my age and who I went to school with that turn out to Rangers games quite frequently, even some that are season ticket holders now.

Yes, the Rangers have apparently done a really good job. I thought they were crazy when they announced they would play at War Memorial- their league only requires a 500 seat "stadium", and thus UALR's soccer field would have fit the requirement (maybe a small bleacher would have been need to be added). While they obviously have over 50,000 empty seats, every game, their attendance was reportedly 6th out of the 90 teams in their division. Too bad Little Rock doesn't have a 5K soccer specific stadium. Maybe working with UALR to increase their capacity to 2500 to 3000 would still be a good idea.
07-13-2017 02:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.