Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Redoing Realignment: Big East with Boise St. and SDSU
YNot Offline
1st String

I Root For: BYU
Redoing Realignment: Big East with Boise St. and SDSU
In December 2012, MWC commissioner Craig Thompson made the move to keep Boise St. and eventually SDSU in the MWC. (imbalanced revenue sharing)

The Big East/AAC rebounded and added Tulsa in March 2013 to create the current AAC football alignment.

But, what if the MWC kept equal revenue-sharing and Boise St. and SDSU maintained their commitment to the Big East/AAC? What would things look like today?

With Boise and SDSU, the soon-to-be AAC had 13 members. Would Tulsa be #14? Would Fresno and UNLV also bolt to the AAC to make 15 members? Would Tulsa be #16? Other?

How does the MWC respond? Stay at 10 teams? 8 teams? Invite Idaho and NMSU? Montana? Affiliate with independent BYU (similar to the attempted WAC deal)?
07-07-2017 03:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: Redoing Realignment: Big East with Boise St. and SDSU
The MW would stay at 10 members. UTEP would still wanted to stay with CUSA and UTSA wanted CUSA.
The only real option for the MW would have been NMSU and Texas St. I think they would hold unless going to 12 for a CCG was the goal of the MW as there was no indication that a CCG would be possible with 10.
Montana and Montana St would be better options than Idaho or NMSU.
07-07-2017 03:47 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
All American

I Root For: the little guy
If those two stayed with the Big East/AAC, I'd assume AQ or power status remained, as well. So, the bloc remains a P6 structure.

You probably get AFA and BYU eventually in the AAC.

MWC at that point is CUSA-west. The merger moves forward, and the only thing causing any swaps within CUSA is whether UTEP, Rice, and Tulsa want to send their kids west to play sports or east.

As a tangent, I've wondered about ACC taking on non-fb schools when so many Big East members applied to the ACC after the Pitt-Cuse shocker. Specifically, if the conference took Villanova and/or Marquette.
07-07-2017 04:04 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I think the number one priority would have been to attempt to get BYU and Air Force, again, as Football-only members. There would have been concessions needed to be made in order to get BYU, like allowing them to keep their TV rights for home games (but it appears they made similar concession to Navy). If you got those two locked-up, along with Navy, then you could acquire Army to get all three service academics under one banner. That would have gotten you to 16 schools, as follows:

East
Army (Football-only)
Cincinnati
East Carolina (Football-only)
Memphis
Temple
UConn
UCF
USF

West
Air Force (Football-only)
Boise State (Football-only)
BYU (Football-only)
Houston
Navy (Football-only)
San Diego State (Football-only)
SMU
Tulane

ECU was not upgraded to full member status until March of that year - after Boise State and San Diego State backed out before in December/January. The C7 left before both schools backed out, so their participation in this hypothesis is moot.
07-07-2017 04:15 PM

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(07-07-2017 04:04 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  If those two stayed with the Big East/AAC, I'd assume AQ or power status remained, as well. So, the bloc remains a P6 structure.

MWC at that point is CUSA-west. The merger moves forward, and the only thing causing any swaps within CUSA is whether UTEP, Rice, and Tulsa want to send their kids west to play sports or east.

As a tangent, I've wondered about ACC taking on non-fb schools when so many Big East members applied to the ACC after the Pitt-Cuse shocker. Specifically, if the conference took Villanova and/or Marquette.

From what I recall, Georgetown, St. Johns and Villanova all were talked about as potential non-football members in the ACC. I don't think Providence or Seton Hall were. I know that DePaul and Marquette were most certainly not. In the end, the money clearly was not enough for any member of the C7 to get invited (or accept an invite) to the ACC, nor did any of the C7 wish to continue to be a passenger on the football bus once again.
07-07-2017 04:24 PM
YNot Offline
1st String

(07-07-2017 04:15 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  I think the number one priority would have been to attempt to get BYU and Air Force, again, as Football-only members. There would have been concessions needed to be made in order to get BYU, like allowing them to keep their TV rights for home games (but it appears they made similar concession to Navy). If you got those two locked-up, along with Navy, then you could acquire Army to get all three service academics under one banner. That would have gotten you to 16 schools, as follows:

East
Army (Football-only)
Cincinnati
East Carolina (Football-only)
Memphis
Temple
UConn
UCF
USF

West
Air Force (Football-only)
Boise State (Football-only)
BYU (Football-only)
Houston
Navy (Football-only)
San Diego State (Football-only)
SMU
Tulane

ECU was not upgraded to full member status until March of that year - after Boise State and San Diego State backed out before in December/January. The C7 left before both schools backed out, so their participation in this hypothesis is moot.

I wonder if the CCG deregulation vote would have turned out differently if the AAC was at 16 teams at the time....both the ACC and SEC would have been on board. Enough votes to push through full deregulation?
07-07-2017 04:31 PM
billybobby777 Offline
Fighting the cartel 5

I Root For: ECU, Army
(07-07-2017 04:24 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 04:04 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  If those two stayed with the Big East/AAC, I'd assume AQ or power status remained, as well. So, the bloc remains a P6 structure.

From what I recall, Georgetown, St. Johns and Villanova all were talked about as potential non-football members in the ACC. I don't think Providence or Seton Hall were. I know that DePaul and Marquette were most certainly not. In the end, the money clearly was not enough for any member of the C7 to get invited (or accept an invite) to the ACC, nor did any of the C7 wish to continue to be a passenger on the football bus once again.

Were Georgetown, St Johns and Nova actively trying to get into the ACC as non-football members? All 3 play FCS football correct? Would they have tried to move football into the ACC like Villanova almost did in the Big East?
07-07-2017 04:34 PM

Fighting Muskie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio St, MAC
It's terribly unfortunate for the schools involved but untimately I think the Carholic 7 taking so long to back out doomed the football schools in their attemp to make a coast to coast league. Had UConn, USF, and Cincy known that they'd soon be abandoned by their non-FB mates I think the direction thing took would have looked radically different.

If the western gambit was to work they needed a more steady home for the western schools' Olympic sports. Truthfully they needed to bring in 6-8 western schools that could form a division:

Houston
SMU
Boise St
San Diego St
BYU
AFA
Tulsa
UNLV

This group could function as its own conference, while an eastern league of UConn, Temple, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF, ECU and (Navy FB only) with a few non-FB members like Dayton and VCU essentially partner with them for a media contract and title game.

To make the cross country model to work they needed more western schools
07-07-2017 04:46 PM
YNot Offline
1st String

So, it's not too late...

FOOTBALL
- UConn, Temple, Cincy, ECU, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulane
- Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Navy, Boise St., SDSU, AFA, UNLV/CSU

OLYMPIC SPORTS
- UConn, Temple, Cincy, ECU, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulane, VCU
- Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Wichita, Boise St., SDSU, AFA, UNLV/CSU, BYU
07-07-2017 05:00 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Game
I don't think Boise State and SDSU in the BE/AAC was sustainable. At best, I see that arrangement lasting 4-5 years.
07-07-2017 05:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.