I Root For: Houston
[ESPN] Louisville and North Carolina to test NCAA
07-05-2017 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

The Cutter of Bish Offline
All American

I Root For: the little guy
RE: [ESPN] Louisville and North Carolina to test NCAA
Obsess all one will with PSU and Baylor, but how UNC is fighting back against the NCAA and leaning on procedural adherence is x100 worse.

You did something wrong, so own it.
07-05-2017 07:05 PM
_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
Their argument isn't all that flawed, even if it's weak.
07-05-2017 07:25 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
The power of the NCAA as a rule enforcement authority can only exist in so much as its constituents want it to exist ... or perhaps more importantly, want the illusion of it to exist.

Every major school wants to make sure that its respective competitors aren't "cheating" at academic eligibility, and aren't "cheating" at recruiting. But they all do it, to some degree. They want everyone else to get caught, but they don't want themselves to get caught.

The NCAA never was, isn't, and never is going to be like a government law enforcement or investigation unit, although some people seem to think it is or should be.
07-05-2017 07:55 PM

sierrajip Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
++++. 4 stars for you. The schools in the power conferences will always trump the NCAA. They control the money.
07-05-2017 09:34 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
I am pretty sure that U of L is only appealing the number of vacated games, and the associated monetary penalty associated with that.

They are accepting all the other penalties the NCAA came back with, on top of the self imposed penalties the NCAA accepted ... so the 5 game suspension of Coach Pitino, the additional scholarships losses, the additional recruiting restrictions, the on campus recruiting visit restrictions ... all of those U of L is accepting.

Not that it is going to matter.

But figured that should be stated for the record.
07-05-2017 09:55 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
All American

I Root For: the little guy
Yeah, at least UL is taking some ownership of this.

UNC's just been flicking this off the whole time. Even kinda flicked off its accrediting body enough to get the probation. With that behind them, now that piece becomes ammo to fight the NCAA even harder.

It's not necessarily just the NCAA who should be doing anything. Like PSU, the conference should act, too. Don't tolerate this crap.
07-06-2017 05:31 AM

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
atlantic cheaters conf.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 08:25 AM by goodknightfl.)
07-06-2017 08:24 AM
Eldonabe Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Umass
(07-06-2017 08:24 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  atlantic cheaters conf.

Maybe so..... but you would join up in a fraction of a nano-second if you were asked to join them

Jealousy and envy are the two worst human emotions.....
07-06-2017 09:48 AM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
(07-06-2017 05:31 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Yeah, at least UL is taking some ownership of this.

UNC's just been flicking this off the whole time. Even kinda flicked off its accrediting body enough to get the probation. With that behind them, now that piece becomes ammo to fight the NCAA even harder.

It's not necessarily just the NCAA who should be doing anything. Like PSU, the conference should act, too. Don't tolerate this crap.

And honestly ... at this point ... I think you would find a great many U of L fans that would encourage adopting the UNC strategy, if they could go back in time and start this whole thing over.

There is NO favor in bending over, and working closely with the NCAA through this type of investigation.

Facts of the case as it stands today:

--- The Grand Jury failed to even bring an indictment against Katina Powell for all of her claims of committing crimes. Not enough evidence to even indict! That's unheard of. The common joke in legal circles is that a ham sandwich can get indicted.

--- The only other claims to the story she told came from student athletes at other schools, who testified under threat of losing their eligibility. What else were they going to say?

Knowing these things now, U of L should have fought the allegations, and made the NCAA show that they occurred. Not just accept them on their face, impose a punishment, and hope for leniency for doing those things.

They may have still been hit with sanctions, but the appeal would be a whole lot stronger when you can still point to all the flaws in the "evidence" against you. And then attack the ridiculous vacating standard the NCAA is trying to apply now. Which is all they have at this point.

This U of L case is showing the rest of the schools in the NCAA (you paying attention Ole Miss??) that you shouldn't cooperate AT ALL with them ... there is no benefit to doing so.
07-06-2017 12:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.