Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Odds of playing college sports out of highschool
Bookmark and Share
MUther Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
Odds of playing college sports out of highschool
Friend posted this on FB. Thought some of you stats guys would find it interesting.

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/varsityo...sociations
07-03-2017 04:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

stanman505 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP
RE: Odds of playing college sports out of highschool
I told my daughter she was very fortunate and she does understand that. I had no idea the percentage playing her sport, at her level was so low.
07-03-2017 11:29 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
It would be interesting to see the %'s of D1 players that go pro. Out of all the high school athletes out there it is like the top 1% of the top 1% that eventually make it to the pros.
07-04-2017 06:56 AM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Soccer is a little misleading, a lot of schools especially the D1 schools have 50% or more international players. When you drill into the numbers for soccer, you get an appreciation for the impact international players have on scholarships.
07-04-2017 08:25 AM

Volkmar Offline
1st String

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that. I love to use things like this in my middle school math classroom.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2017 09:33 AM by Volkmar.)
07-04-2017 09:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HogDawg Online
All American

I Root For: LA Tech
(07-04-2017 09:33 AM)Volkmar Wrote:  Awesome! Thanks for sharing that. I love to use things like this in my middle school math classroom.

We wish you all the best as you graduate from middle school and move on to high school. 03-thumbsup
07-04-2017 10:25 AM
ODUDrunkard13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
For whatever it's worth, if you are a starter in high school, you can likely play D3. The costs of attending a D3 school are usually not worth extending the playing time but most can play. We had guys on my HS team who barely lettered that ended up playing D3 football.
07-04-2017 10:40 AM

SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
Agree with ODU. My daughter has 4-5 offers from a mix of D2, D3 and NAIA to play soccer, and several others have her high on their lists. She doesn't want to play D1, too much of a job. But as ODU pointed out, the scholarship money isn't much, more about academic schollies than anything else. D3 doesn't give athletic scholarship money, just academic awards. But again, most are pricey private schools that cost 30K or more a year. It's not really worth it unless the kid gets a very good ACT or SAT score.

NAIA is actually more digestible cost wise.
07-04-2017 11:45 AM
Jack Bauer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
NAIA is actually better competition for the most part in soccer. They don't have limits on briniging ininternational players like d1 does.
07-04-2017 02:18 PM
Volkmar Offline
1st String

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(07-04-2017 10:40 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  For whatever it's worth, if you are a starter in high school, you can likely play D3. The costs of attending a D3 school are usually not worth extending the playing time but most can play. We had guys on my HS team who barely lettered that ended up playing D3 football.

The chart from the original link shows that only 8% of all high school football starters play any kind of college football though; that's D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and NJCAA combined. So I'm not following what you base your analysis on. If it really is based on just your one school, I think you need to look a little further.

I understand that some guys who play multiple sports in high school almost always end up choosing just one sport in college, so there may be some overlap with HS football players who might play baseball, basketball, or something else in college instead. But even if we work under the assumption that every HS football starter will actually choose football for college, rather than another sport, I can't see the number jumping from 8% to anything more than maybe 40-45%.

Maybe you graduated from a regional football powerhouse where a much higher percentage than normal go on to play college football at various levels, as we have a few of those in Texas to be sure (national powerhouses even). But nationally, I can't see it going above 45% given the low 8% figure provided on the link, and I think 45% is probably even a pretty liberal estimate.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2017 06:50 PM by Volkmar.)
07-04-2017 06:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.