Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SWAC Player of the Year Commits to New Mexico State
Bookmark and Share
FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies
SWAC Player of the Year Commits to New Mexico State
It's official, New Mexico State has just landed the 2017 SWAC Player of the Year in Zach Lofton (6'3 Sr) who averaged nearly 17 points per game last season for Texas Southern.

SWAC Player of the Year Zach Lofton Commits to New Mexico State
07-03-2017 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

gleadley Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GCU
RE: SWAC Player of the Year Commits to New Mexico State
Congrats, Aggies. Good get.
07-03-2017 03:47 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
Now I can honestly say NMSU has the strongest group of guards in the WAC. They go two deep on the 1, 2, & 3 positions on the court. NMSU also has arguably the best low post player in the WAC. This is going to be an interesting 2017-18 season.
07-03-2017 03:52 PM
SeattleVandals Online
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
That is a big pick up. Damn, congrats NMSU
07-03-2017 03:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies
(07-03-2017 03:52 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Now I can honestly say NMSU has the strongest group of guards in the WAC. They go two deep on the 1, 2, & 3 positions on the court. NMSU also has arguably the best low post player in the WAC. This is going to be an interesting 2017-18 season.

We go two deep at every spot. This might be a team that runs a lot this season. We have more depth this season than we had last season.
07-03-2017 04:01 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
Special Teams

(07-03-2017 04:01 PM)FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 03:52 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Now I can honestly say NMSU has the strongest group of guards in the WAC. They go two deep on the 1, 2, & 3 positions on the court. NMSU also has arguably the best low post player in the WAC. This is going to be an interesting 2017-18 season.

We go two deep at every spot. This might be a team that runs a lot this season. We have more depth this season than we had last season.

If I were to project our starting line up...

Starters > Back Ups
PG: AJ Harris... 5'9... SO > Shunn Buchanan... 6'0... SO
SG: Sidy Ndir... 6'2... SO > LaMarcus Lee... 6'2... SO
WG: Zach Lofton... 6'3... SR > Wayne Stewart... 6'6... JR
PF: Eli Chuha... 6'8... JR > Jemerrio Jones... 6'5... SR
C: Johnathon Wilkins... 6'10... SR > Marlon Jones... 6'8... JR
07-03-2017 04:12 PM
LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
Hey Aggies,
This is not a shot at you guys. This is just an observation and question. Are any of you concerned with Lofton's inability to stick around a program?
Zac attended 4 different high schools
San-Jacinto College>>Illinois State>>Minnesota (Kicked off team before ever playing a game)>>Texas Southern>>NMSU
Something must be going on right? We had the same issue with Dom Magee. He was not quite the journeyman as Lofton. He was highly touted, great expectations. He didn't like to work within the system and transferred again.
Anyone know what his issue is?
He also shot just 27% from 3 last season. Looks like he had some productive scoring games last season, but fizzled last 5 games. Did he lose interest?
07-03-2017 05:35 PM

NMSUPistolPete Offline
Special Teams

(07-03-2017 05:35 PM)LopesUp Wrote:  Hey Aggies,
This is not a shot at you guys. This is just an observation and question. Are any of you concerned with Lofton's inability to stick around a program?
Zac attended 4 different high schools
San-Jacinto College>>Illinois State>>Minnesota (Kicked off team before ever playing a game)>>Texas Southern>>NMSU
Something must be going on right? We had the same issue with Dom Magee. He was not quite the journeyman as Lofton. He was highly touted, great expectations. He didn't like to work within the system and transferred again.
Anyone know what his issue is?
He also shot just 27% from 3 last season. Looks like he had some productive scoring games last season, but fizzled last 5 games. Did he lose interest?

If Lofton were an underclassman, I might have some reservations. But, he has already graduated so he does not effect our APR. Additionally, Lofton has NBA aspirations. This is Lofton one last season to impress pro scouts so he needs to put together his best season yet. NMSU has multiple scorers so it will be difficult to key on Lofton defensively like what was probably the case at Texas Southern. NMSU has two players (Ndir & Chuha) who could legitimately win WAC POTY; and that is even before Lofton joined the team. My main concern is team chemistry. Lofton's perimeter shooting percentage should improve because he will get more uncontested shots. Jans needs to get this team to play unselfishly. Especially since NMSU has a lot of scoring alphas now.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2017 06:30 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-03-2017 06:28 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
Interesting another guard. NMSU don't have a lot of depth up front and will also be a lot smaller while the rest of the WAC is getting bigger.
07-03-2017 06:29 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
Special Teams

(07-03-2017 06:29 PM)Clarity Wrote:  Interesting another guard. NMSU don't have a lot of depth up front and will also be a lot smaller while the rest of the WAC is getting bigger.

NMSU has five players (maybe six) to play in the paint this season.

Eli Chuha 6'8
John Wilkins 6'10
Marlon Jones 6'9
Jemerrio Jones 6'5
Johnny McCants 6'7

And, the jury is still out on Bollo Gnahore 6'10

I expect NMSU to play a three guard line up with this roster; with two bigs down low. Five somewhat big men should be enough.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2017 06:41 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-03-2017 06:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.