Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC revenue tidbits
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
AAC revenue tidbits
From Hartford Courant article...UConn, UC, and USF receive around 10M per year in revenue distribution...at least until BE exit monies dry up.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-husk...story.html

The AAC reported revenue of about $79 million in the 2015-16 fiscal year. ACC revenue was $373 million, the Big 12 was $313 million and the SEC $639 million.
--------------
In 2015-16, UConn received $10,523,469 from the AAC, followed by Cincinnati ($9.485 million) and South Florida ($9.144 million). The three schools compensated the least were Navy ($2.757 million), Central Florida ($3.514 million) and SMU ($3.57 million).

The AAC is still distributing $70 million in exit fees from the Big East. AAC schools that were formerly Big East members are UConn, Cincinnati, South Florida.
-----------
A Better TV Deal?

The AAC's current TV deal primarily for football and basketball (seven years, $126 million, with ESPN) is in its fourth year. The conference will begin shopping itself for a new deal in a year or so, aiming to come to an agreement in 2018 or 2019.

The current deal expires in 2020 and the hope is the next one will offset money lost in Big East payouts. It is impossible to tell how much more lucrative a new deal might be. The AAC has separated itself as the clear front-runner among Group of 5 schools, but it's unclear how the product will be viewed a couple years from now, and how a network – which in the meantime will gain and lose other programming – might value it.

"Our TV contract is so woefully undervalued right now but we're hoping that makes up for some of that [exit fee money that will be lost]," Aresco said. "We weren't fortunate in realignment but we were fortunate to have that revenue as part of the deal where we had to give up the [Big East] name, and that wasn't easy to do, but we got most of the revenue and a lot of the units left behind, and that has sustained a lot of the programs like UConn and Cincinnati and USF and some other schools — for now.
07-01-2017 02:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: AAC revenue tidbits
(07-01-2017 02:56 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  From Hartford Courant article...UConn, UC, and USF receive around 10M per year in revenue distribution...at least until BE exit monies dry up.

The AAC reported revenue of about $79 million in the 2015-16 fiscal year. ACC revenue was $373 million, the Big 12 was $313 million and the SEC $639 million.
--------------
In 2015-16, UConn received $10,523,469 from the AAC, followed by Cincinnati ($9.485 million) and South Florida ($9.144 million). The three schools compensated the least were Navy ($2.757 million), Central Florida ($3.514 million) and SMU ($3.57 million).

The AAC is still distributing $70 million in exit fees from the Big East. AAC schools that were formerly Big East members are UConn, Cincinnati, South Florida.
-----------
A Better TV Deal?

The AAC's current TV deal primarily for football and basketball (seven years, $126 million, with ESPN) is in its fourth year. The conference will begin shopping itself for a new deal in a year or so, aiming to come to an agreement in 2018 or 2019.

The current deal expires in 2020 and the hope is the next one will offset money lost in Big East payouts. It is impossible to tell how much more lucrative a new deal might be. The AAC has separated itself as the clear front-runner among Group of 5 schools, but it's unclear how the product will be viewed a couple years from now, and how a network – which in the meantime will gain and lose other programming – might value it.

"Our TV contract is so woefully undervalued right now but we're hoping that makes up for some of that [exit fee money that will be lost]," Aresco said. "We weren't fortunate in realignment but we were fortunate to have that revenue as part of the deal where we had to give up the [Big East] name, and that wasn't easy to do, but we got most of the revenue and a lot of the units left behind, and that has sustained a lot of the programs like UConn and Cincinnati and USF and some other schools — for now.

The 3 were lucky getting the huge pie anyway. Now is all based on what this conference can do without payouts, units, and selling the name. I still think we get $4 million each with good exposure which would still put us in the tweener status.
07-01-2017 03:08 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
I get why Navy's numbers are down (football only member), but I wonder why SMU and UCF's numbers appear to be lower than the rest of AAC (not including USF, UConn, and UC).
07-01-2017 03:12 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(07-01-2017 03:08 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 02:56 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  From Hartford Courant article...UConn, UC, and USF receive around 10M per year in revenue distribution...at least until BE exit monies dry up.

--------------

-----------
A Better TV Deal?

The 3 were lucky getting the huge pie anyway. Now is all based on what this conference can do without payouts, units, and selling the name. I still think we get $4 million each with good exposure which would still put us in the tweener status.

We're lucky huh? I'd say UCF and company are lucky to be cashing in on those yearly basketball credits over the past 3 years (which are mostly thanks to UCONN and Cincinnati).

But to each their own...
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 03:24 PM by HuskyU.)
07-01-2017 03:23 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
AAC revenue tidbits
(07-01-2017 03:12 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I get why Navy's numbers are down (football only member), but I wonder why SMU and UCF's numbers appear to be lower than the rest of AAC (not including USF, UConn, and UC).

We didn't get any basketball credits due to post season ban
07-01-2017 03:29 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats

--------------

-----------
A Better TV Deal?

Luck ain't got nothing to do with it.
07-01-2017 03:53 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-01-2017 03:12 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  I get why Navy's numbers are down (football only member), but I wonder why SMU and UCF's numbers appear to be lower than the rest of AAC (not including USF, UConn, and UC).

May also have something to do with how bowl revenue is distributed. I imagine schools going to bowls get extra league revenue to off set actual travel expenses. Whatever is left of bowl income after paying out expense allowances to traveling teams, is probably then equally divided between all members. Final year revenue disbursements would appear as some have more revenue, but after bowl expenses are backed out, it probably evens out.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 03:57 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-01-2017 03:54 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
"The three schools compensated the least were Navy ($2.757 million), Central Florida ($3.514 million) and SMU ($3.57 million)."

that means Memphis is making at least 3.6 million per year in the AAC...that's more than 3x what we were getting in CUSA (1.1 million) to go along with better TV exposure and better competition.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 04:12 PM by UofMemphis.)
07-01-2017 04:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
I'm so definitely against unequal revenue sharing.

If only UConn could play well again in basketball b/c in football they're not bringing their share.
07-01-2017 04:25 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(07-01-2017 04:25 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  I'm so definitely against unequal revenue sharing.

If only UConn could play well again in basketball b/c in football they're not bringing their share.

Glass houses.

Our product may suck...but people are tuning in. We are in the top half of the conference in both basketball and football TV viewership. The same can't be said for Houston. In terms of people in the stands - You can't even sell out your less than 40,000 stadium with an undefeated team. And let's not even bring up your basketball viewership.

Who again isn't carrying their weight? Hopefully you can bring up those numbers before the TV contract look-in period.
07-01-2017 04:40 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

USF, UConn and Cincy have been living high on the hog compared to the rest of us.

The next TV deal will need to pay $7M per school per year or else USF, UConn and Cincy will see reduced annual conference payments.
07-01-2017 04:50 PM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(07-01-2017 03:23 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  

--------------

-----------
A Better TV Deal?

We're lucky huh? I'd say UCF and company are lucky to be cashing in on those yearly basketball credits over the past 3 years (which are mostly thanks to UCONN and Cincinnati).

But to each their own...

The rest of the members split 30% of that money. Not a huge factor really. Doesn't matter because we all need to step up now. If we can land at least 4 teams in the tourney and one going deep, the ncaa credits can stay strong. This is a huge year for the league pushing into tv negotiations.
07-01-2017 05:35 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(07-01-2017 04:50 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  USF, UConn and Cincy have been living high on the hog compared to the rest of us.

The next TV deal will need to pay $7M per school per year or else USF, UConn and Cincy will see reduced annual conference payments.

If we are making 2 million a team in media and the base payout without a exit fee boost is around 3.5 million---we'd need a 6-7 million dollar RAISE to get to that 10 million dollar territory. That means a media payout of 8-9 million a team. I don't know if that's gunna happen. I suspect not.

Obviously, if the base payout is higher, UConn would need less of a raise to keep pace.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 06:10 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-01-2017 06:08 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
What is the annual revenue expected for newcomer Wichita State?
07-01-2017 06:46 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-01-2017 06:08 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 04:50 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  USF, UConn and Cincy have been living high on the hog compared to the rest of us.

If we are making 2 million a team in media and the base payout without a exit fee boost is around 3.5 million---we'd need a 6-7 million dollar RAISE to get to that 10 million dollar territory. That means a media payout of 8-9 million a team. I don't know if that's gunna happen. I suspect not.

Obviously, if the base payout is higher, UConn would need less of a raise to keep pace.

Except USF, Cincy and UConn average about $9M from the conference. And the rest of us average about $4M.

So we need a $5M raise from TV to bring us up to what USF, Cincy and UConn have been enjoying.
07-01-2017 06:52 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
AAC revenue tidbits
(07-01-2017 06:46 PM)sfink16 Wrote:  What is the annual revenue expected for newcomer Wichita State?

Nada zilch
07-01-2017 07:04 PM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

(07-01-2017 04:40 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 04:25 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  I'm so definitely against unequal revenue sharing.

Glass houses.

Our product may suck...but people are tuning in. We are in the top half of the conference in both basketball and football TV viewership. The same can't be said for Houston. In terms of people in the stands - You can't even sell out your less than 40,000 stadium with an undefeated team. And let's not even bring up your basketball viewership.

Who again isn't carrying their weight? Hopefully you can bring up those numbers before the TV contract look-in period.

Take a good hard look at these games... and the only game UConn was given any ratings credit for was b/c Houston was your opponent.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...NfVRmOWv7Q

Houston has a rich history Football Basketball Baseball Golf Track etc.

Our new football stadium is complete, we're now upgrading our basketball arena and before long our absence in basketball will be yesterday's news.

Don't start 5h¿t with Houston 05-nono
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 08:14 PM by BigHouston.)
07-01-2017 07:37 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(07-01-2017 07:37 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  

Glass houses.

Take a good hard look at these games... and the only game UConn was given any ratings credit for was b/c Houston was your opponent.

Don't start 5h¿t with Houston in football 05-nono

Ah yes...because people weren't tuning in for the rematch after UCONN embarrassed you the year before...

And my point stands firm. Since the inception of the AAC, UCONN has been in the top half of the conference when it comes to BOTH basketball and football TV viewership. We weren't included in the "A group" for nothing. That's a fact bud.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 07:55 PM by HuskyU.)
07-01-2017 07:47 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
This is another reason why WS will probably reconsider pursuing football….
07-01-2017 08:11 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

(07-01-2017 07:47 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 07:37 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  

Glass houses.

Don't start 5h¿t with Houston in football 05-nono

Ah yes...because people weren't tuning in for the rematch after UCONN embarrassed you the year before...

And my point stands firm. Since the inception of the AAC, UCONN has been in the top half of the conference when it comes to BOTH basketball and football TV viewership. We weren't included in the "A group" for nothing. That's a fact bud.

We're bringing our basketball program back unlike y'all in football, don't see the light nowhere near proly not for a long long long long time.

You better hope yall's basketball doesn't drown too
07-01-2017 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.