Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could the State Move to Ban or Limit Athletic Subsidies
Bookmark and Share
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Could the State Move to Ban or Limit Athletic Subsidies
From a Dispatch article on the state higher ed budget.

Quote:Plus, the budget calls on the state chancellor to investigate all higher education fees charged to students and gives him the power to block a fee he does not determine to be in the best interest of students. Universities could appeal that decision to the state Controlling Board, a bipartisan legislative spending oversight panel.

06-29-2017 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

#41 Offline
1st String

RE: Could the State Move to Ban or Limit Athletic Subsidies
As much as I'm a sports fan, this would be a good thing.

It's immoral to force students there to learn and get an education to subsidize athletics with so-called "activity fees" -- especially when most of them are borrowing into massive debt just to attend.

06-29-2017 02:12 PM
TubaCat Online
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
In National Geographic style:

"This kills the Bearcat."

If a move were made that makes us unable to subsidize athletics before we are back in a P5 conference, it will be a permanent relegation to sub-MAC levels. I'm sure our friends in Columbus will be huge supporters of this idea, under the guise of "caring about Ohio students."

06-29-2017 02:27 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-29-2017 02:27 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  In National Geographic style:

If a move were made that makes us unable to subsidize athletics before we are back in a P5 conference, it will be a permanent relegation to sub-MAC levels. I'm sure our friends in Columbus will be huge supporters of this idea, under the guise of "caring about Ohio students."

Yep. It's a proposal to effectively do away with all non-P5 athletic programs.

06-29-2017 02:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

JPBearcat3 Offline
we'll do the rest, boys

I Root For: #BearcatNation
While I understand the proposal - and agree with the principles - UC athletics does QUITE a bit of marketing for the university as a whole. You can make a fairly easy argument that some of those student subsidies are going towards the marketing of the university - a mission that aligns with what student fees should be going to.

Now as to the amount of those student fees, well that's up for debate (obviously).

But it's not as if subsidizing UC athletics, or any college's athletics, isn't a benefit to the university as a whole.

06-29-2017 02:41 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: #CinCityPride
Interesting. I have heard of a couple states putting a cap on the amount to subsidize athletics, but I am not aware of taking it away completely. For instance, last year Georgia legislated that no more than 65-85% of the schools athletic budgets come from student fees. Virginia has done similarly although their mark is 70%.

I could see Ohio doing something similarly. If this were to pass UC would be OK, as would the MAC schools. Schools like Wright State, Cleveland State and Youngstown State on the other hand are going to be in trouble (WSU already is). Subsidies makes up 75-80+ percentage of their athletic budget.

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2017 02:51 PM by CliftonAve.)
06-29-2017 02:50 PM
Bearcat1010 Offline
2nd String

I know students pay a general fee as well as a campus life fee. I found the current breakdown of the general fee distribution but does anyone know how the campus life fees are distributed?

The general fee breakdown is interesting.

06-29-2017 03:05 PM

Recluse1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
As a whole, the lack of oversight in how this money is spent is frightening, rising tuition costs need to be addressed. As unpopular as such an idea would be. I think fairness needs to be put into place, but whenever a heavy handed approach is used by states or the federal government toward anything, it just seems like things get worse.

06-29-2017 03:08 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Walter Williams
(06-29-2017 03:08 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  As a whole, the lack of oversight in how this money is spent is frightening, rising tuition costs need to be addressed. As unpopular as such an idea would be. I think fairness needs to be put into place, but whenever a heavy handed approach is used by states or the federal government toward anything, it just seems like things get worse.

Tuition rates having been climbing very fast at ALL schools because of the student loan program which now carries more debt than all U.S. household credit card debt.

Get rid of the student loan program and tuition will drop like a rock.

06-29-2017 03:10 PM
TubaCat Online
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
(06-29-2017 02:28 PM)Marcus Wrote:  
(06-29-2017 02:27 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  In National Geographic style:

Yep. It's a proposal to effectively do away with all non-P5 athletic programs.

I would agree and even take it one step further... depending on how restrictive they want to be, this could even harm almost any P5 school (except the several that actually make a profit on athletics).

06-29-2017 03:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.