Thanks Phil Steele for backing me up on Marshall football this year
Bookmark and Share
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
Exclamation Thanks Phil Steele for backing me up on Marshall football this year
Marshall #2 in the East.

--Marshall's poor finish in 2016 will have them undervalued in most sets of my Power Ratings, including my Plus/Minus Ratings on page 34 which mostly resemble the Vegas rankings. My main set of of Power Ratings call for Marshall to be at the top of CUSA. I love taking team's that had 10, 13, and 10 wins the previous 3 years and drop down to t3, especially iwht the infusion of Power 5 VHT's on the defensive side of the ball and a veteran offense. Marshall was 14-3 in CUSA in '14 and '15. The Thundering Herd host that key game against WKU on November 11. Even though they were -117.3 ypg in conf play, I will call for them to finish in a much inproved year. In'13 I called Marshall the Most Improved Team in the country and they went from 5 to 10 wins...will they get the same billing this year? (See Most Improved List)

Chase Litton 3rd Team
Tyre Brady 3rd Team
Ryan Yurachek 1st Team
Levi Brown 4th Team
Ryan Bee 3rd Team
Juwon Young 2nd Team
Rodney Allen 2nd Team
Kendall Gant 2nd Team
Keion Davis 3rd Team (KR)

Marshall Ranks #1 in CUSA overall in his Unit Ranking
QB 3rd
RB 9th
WR th
OL 8th
DL 2nd
LB 1st
DB 1st
ST 3rd
CH 1st (I am assuming this is coach based off other writings)

Phil's Forecast
Offense - In QB Rakeem Cat's fist year they ran a conservative offense and averaged just 21.8ppg. With and experienced CAto at the helm they averaged 40.9, 42.1 and 45.6! In '15 they had a first year QB and dropped to 31.3ppg. I thought with and experienced Litton they would improved but they dropped to 26.4 ppg and 350 ypg (lowest 5Y). This year 6 starters return and with the added speed at WR they should be more potent.

Defense - Marshall had to replace the CUSA DPOY a 2nd straight year in '16. Their '15 defense was #10- FBS in ppg allowed (17.8 best here s/'99). They did only hold foes to 10 7pg below their season average (#60) taking on a light schedule. They only had 4 returning starters but 8 of their top 13 tacklers were back in '16. The ppg amazingly doubled (35.3) and their 455 ypg was their worst s/'12. This year 7 starters return and they get some big time VHT trasnfers and will more resemble the '15 defense.

2017 - Marshall has off 3 straight DD win seasons and were 20-1 in the last 3+ years at home. Their schedule went from #127 in '15 to #98 in '16 but it was still shocking they dropped to 3-9 and from +47 ypg in CUSA play to -117. This year factors pointing up are that Marshall rates +8.5 in my SMI (stock market indicator), they were -3 net upsets in '19 (up 66%). They have numerous Power 5 VHT's on defense and will be tough like the '14 and '15 units with my #2 DL, #1 LB's and #1 DB's in CUSA. In 2013 this team was my #1 Most Improved team in the country and went from 5 to 10 wins and the team is capable of a +5 jump in the win total.

Rates Ryan Yurachek as the #31 TE in the country.

Rates Marshall as the #43 DL in the country.

Rates Marshall as the #44 DB unit in the country.

Rates Marshall as the #55 Special Teams in the country.

Rates Marshall's schedule as #102 in the country.

Rates Marshall's schedule as #106 in Opponents Winning %.

Rates Marshall returning experience as #61 overall and #5 in CUSA.

Stock Market Indicator
Bull Market - +8.5
This means we won 8.5 less games in 2016 than our previous two years averaged. That places us as a nearly 100% chance of improving our record significantly according to is analysis.

Ranks us as the #5 most improved team behind #1 ND, #2 TC, #3 Oregon, and #4 Texas.

Ranks us #84 in his Power Poll.

2017 Projected Units
#7 Most Improved Defensive Rush
#2 Most Improved Defensive Points

2017 Project Stats
Rushing Offense - 123.3
Passing Offense - 269.3
Scoring Offense - 27.2
Rushing Defense - 147.3
Pass Defense - 232.8
Scoring Defense - 27.7
YP Diff +12.6 (67)
PPG Diff -0.4

Has us finishing as the #54 team in the country.

Projects us going to the Cure Bowl vs South Alabama on Saturday, December 16th.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2017 02:22 PM by MU ATO.)
06-28-2017 02:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: Thanks Phil Steele for backing me up on Marshall football this year
Phil Steele always rates Marshall high...He has had WKU low last 3 seasons, wonder why this season is the year he finally has us ranked high with a completely different coaching staff?
06-28-2017 02:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Pre-season rankings are entertaining. Sometimes they are on the mark. Sometimes they are in the ballpark. Sometime you wonder how in the world the could be so far off. You just have to play the season out to see which group your team's ranking fits in.
06-28-2017 04:22 PM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Love his rag. So detailed. But C-USA has gone thru so many changes that it's been really tough to get a grasp on the talent levels and tendencies.
06-28-2017 05:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.