ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Chesapeake on track to be 2nd largest city in VA
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
https://pilotonline.com/news/local/chesa...1a786.html

Interesting, didn't realize Chesapeake was growing like that.
06-26-2017 01:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: OT: Chesapeake on track to be 2nd largest city in VA
Its inevitable when you turn landmasses that are counties into cities. Suffolk is technically the largest city (not most populous), but certainly has the potential to be the largest population wise at some point in the future. Hampton Roads is the only region in VA that has county-cities, so its a phenomenon unlikely to be seen anywhere else.
06-26-2017 02:03 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-26-2017 02:03 PM)monarx Wrote:  Its inevitable when you turn landmasses that are counties into cities. Suffolk is technically the largest city (not most populous), but certainly has the potential to be the largest population wise at some point in the future. Hampton Roads is the only region in VA that has county-cities, so its a phenomenon unlikely to be seen anywhere else.

Without that, I'm guessing Norfolk would extend east at least to Town Center and down to South Norfolk and maybe Indian River, and Portsmouth would gobble up Western Branch and northern Nansemond County. With options to encroach further into the counties (think Charlotte/Mecklenberg County)
06-26-2017 02:59 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-26-2017 02:59 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 02:03 PM)monarx Wrote:  Its inevitable when you turn landmasses that are counties into cities. Suffolk is technically the largest city (not most populous), but certainly has the potential to be the largest population wise at some point in the future. Hampton Roads is the only region in VA that has county-cities, so its a phenomenon unlikely to be seen anywhere else.

Without that, I'm guessing Norfolk would extend east at least to Town Center and down to South Norfolk and maybe Indian River, and Portsmouth would gobble up Western Branch and northern Nansemond County. With options to encroach further into the counties (think Charlotte/Mecklenberg County)

True. Although South Norfolk was an independent city too. From what I understand from some old folks who live there, Norfolk actually laid the water and sewer lines in Kempsville for future annexation. Thats also why many of the reservoirs in VB are owned by Norfolk. Though, I don't think it would be a bad thing as the region would have grown in a much more logical way. Princess Anne County (now VB) and Norfolk County (now Chesapeake) wanted to remain rural and keep urban sprawl (annexation) out. Obviously that didnt work at all and now they have all the same issues as Norfolk that they were trying to avoid. And we have three competing downtowns. Oddly enough, staying counties would have wound up preserving the space in a much better way. The town of Virginia Beach would likely have become a city eventually on its own, but would likely be about the size of Franklin and focused strictly on tourism and maintaining a top oceanfront resort, and Norfolk would likely be similar to Charlotte or Baltimore by now.
06-26-2017 03:25 PM
ODU79 Offline
Bench Warmer

I've lived in Great Bridge for the past 25 years. A ton more stop lights, developments and traffic tie ups. I'm not surprised.
06-26-2017 03:54 PM
bit_9 Offline

We're like 3rd generation Chesapeake/South Norfolk. I'm 37 and have watched it grow over the years. I know many of my parents friends despise it but their peers did it and now their kids are expediting that growth. If you want to maintain the farm land and rural vibe time to head to Moyock. I almost moved there myself.
06-26-2017 04:06 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

You either grow or die.
06-26-2017 04:43 PM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

(06-26-2017 04:43 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  You either grow or die.

Eh. The growth of this region is the death of it.
06-26-2017 10:53 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(06-26-2017 04:06 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  We're like 3rd generation Chesapeake/South Norfolk. I'm 37 and have watched it grow over the years. I know many of my parents friends despise it but their peers did it and now their kids are expediting that growth. If you want to maintain the farm land and rural vibe time to head to Moyock. I almost moved there myself.

Ya may way go further out than Currituck Co. They have some plans to develop a mega site and build upward of 20k homes. But lack the infrastructure and hardly no Public Safety (paid fire department)
06-27-2017 05:20 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Imagine if Fairfax, Alexandria, and Arlington became a "city". Chesapeake is like the Georgia Dome... with Georgia State and Troy playing inside.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
06-27-2017 05:33 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Born and raised in southern Chesapeake. I've seen my families and other relatives farmland disappear into developments, highways, wma and Navy/ government land. 30 years ago my family farmed 3000 plus acres now we only own 174 acres. Our farm is neighbors 2 two government agencies and unable to do anything but farm the land now. Army Corps of Engineer will no longer allow us to clear our ditches and what once was high ground is becoming swamp due to near by developments. If anyone is interested there is a glassroots facebook group to help slow down growth in southern Chesapeake #stopdevelopingsouthernchesapeake
06-27-2017 05:54 AM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-27-2017 05:54 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  Born and raised in southern Chesapeake. I've seen my families and other relatives farmland disappear into developments, highways, wma and Navy/ government land. 30 years ago my family farmed 3000 plus acres now we only own 174 acres. Our farm is neighbors 2 two government agencies and unable to do anything but farm the land now. Army Corps of Engineer will no longer allow us to clear our ditches and what once was high ground is becoming swamp due to near by developments. If anyone is interested there is a glassroots facebook group to help slow down growth in southern Chesapeake #stopdevelopingsouthernchesapeake

3000 acres is HUGE! Was your family forced to sell or did the choose to cash in?
06-27-2017 08:36 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(06-27-2017 08:36 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(06-27-2017 05:54 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  Born and raised in southern Chesapeake. I've seen my families and other relatives farmland disappear into developments, highways, wma and Navy/ government land. 30 years ago my family farmed 3000 plus acres now we only own 174 acres. Our farm is neighbors 2 two government agencies and unable to do anything but farm the land now. Army Corps of Engineer will no longer allow us to clear our ditches and what once was high ground is becoming swamp due to near by developments. If anyone is interested there is a glassroots facebook group to help slow down growth in southern Chesapeake #stopdevelopingsouthernchesapeake

3000 acres is HUGE! Was your family forced to sell or did the choose to cash in?
A little bit of everything. My grandfather and great uncle co farmed and owned timber areas south of Cedar Rd. Once they passed away the land was split up over 18 children. The main farm stayed running for about 5 years until the housing boom of the late 80s early 90s hit the area. Some willingly cashed in, some felt forced to sell, some fought the hwy 17 and expansion. I'm in line to inherit the last 174 acres that was owned by my grandparents but farming it is becoming troublesome with flooding now and general public harassing the land. If they Navy and Chesapeake have their way it will belong to them by 2035 or 2050.
06-27-2017 09:33 AM
bit_9 Offline

woooow 3k acres is insane.
06-27-2017 10:00 AM
ODU2017 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion University
The worst part of the urban sprawl isn't just that it encroaches on people and looks ugly but it has no direction. It's totally inefficient and based upon a tax model that is completely unsustainable. The infusion of cash comes one time. But the city has to maintain or expand the infrastructure forever. If there is an economic downturn all of the new developments are abandoned and the city is left holding the bag.

On top of all that it's supremely disappointing that Norfolk has neighborhoods and districts in need of investment but developers would rather make a quick buck and ruin the rural scenery by building sprawl 30 miles away from where most people live.

Sent from my SM-G930F using CSNbbs mobile app
06-27-2017 10:23 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(06-27-2017 10:00 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  woooow 3k acres is insane.

You should checkout what the city is trying to do to the Frank T. Williams Farms on Ballahack Road which is over 4000 acres. One of the reasons the #stopdevelopingsouthernchesapeake facebook group was started. Some farmers on Centerville are getting enticed by solar energy companies to rent their land on a 20-year lease, the drawback is it creates a wasteland in 20 to 30 years that's not able to be farmed anymore.
06-27-2017 10:29 AM
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

Yeah, I've been keeping tabs. I'm on the Hickory against Rezoning Facebook and such. I'm in listen mode.
06-27-2017 10:40 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

As much as I am against development I have a second cousin who owns a parcel of land in the middle of Etheridge/ Fentress area. The parcel is landlocked by neighborhoods. It was farmed up until about the early 2000s until neighbors started complaining of loud noises smells and dust. The land has set dormant up until a few years ago when he went before the planning commission to develop the land into a neighborhood which the neighboring neighborhoods kicked it back and started a petition so he couldn't develop the land. He pays his taxes and maintains the land a few times a year but is unable to really do anything with it other than to keep it as is. Since there are neighborhoods on all sides of him I don't see the problem in developing the land. The city does not want it for parker & recreation so why not develop it.
06-27-2017 10:44 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(06-27-2017 10:40 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  Yeah, I've been keeping tabs. I'm on the Hickory against Rezoning Facebook and such. I'm in listen mode.

Rezoning is a touchie subject for folks around here. I feel bad for the football team over at Great Bridge. At a booster meeting there was talks of not being albe to field a varsity football team this coming year. They could not feild the JV team last year.
06-27-2017 10:48 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-26-2017 10:53 PM)Fatalisk Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 04:43 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  You either grow or die.

Eh. The growth of this region is the death of it.

Actually, the complete opposite. If you want to see death of an area, go to some rural areas of Southeastern North Carolina. There might be some people that like living in Moyock, where there is nothing to do, but that is a small part of the overall population.
06-27-2017 11:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.