Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coach Brumett Arrested
Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Online
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Coach Brumett Arrested
Not a good situation. Probably not as bad as it sounds, but I wonder if he keeps his job.

http://www.wcyb.com/news/tennessee/johns.../564772576
06-26-2017 01:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
RE: Coach Brumett Arrested
Sure would've been nice to have had some actual facts in that story.
06-26-2017 09:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MTBuc Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
Coach Torbush's MO is all about character and integrity. Innocent until proven guilty but I'd bet he's done here.
06-26-2017 09:42 PM
ETSUfan1 Online
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Coach Brumett Arrested
Torbush announced today that Brumett has been fired.
06-30-2017 09:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
Time to poach another FCS school.
06-30-2017 09:31 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I think it'll be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out for Brummett. Best wishes to him in this whole process. Little disappointed in a man who claims to be such a straight and narrow devout Christian missed that part about forgiveness.
And by saying that am I by no means endorsing a coach showing his ass (metaphorically) to a hotel clerk, even if said hotel clerk is an aloof doofus that probably shouldn't have been working the desk anyway.
07-04-2017 04:24 PM
Advertisement

prosec34 Offline
2nd String

(07-04-2017 04:24 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  I think it'll be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out for Brummett. Best wishes to him in this whole process. Little disappointed in a man who claims to be such a straight and narrow devout Christian missed that part about forgiveness.
And by saying that am I by no means endorsing a coach showing his ass (metaphorically) to a hotel clerk, even if said hotel clerk is an aloof doofus that probably shouldn't have been working the desk anyway.

Forgiveness in a Christianity sense is not the same as maintaining standards for a college football program. Given that we know nothing about Brummett's inside story within the program or in this criminal allegation, I don't believe that a backhanded slap to Torbush is in order. Torbush can't be asking parents to entrust their children to his care and yet have assistant coaches picking up criminal charges.
07-05-2017 11:19 AM
Flippmb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(07-04-2017 04:24 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Little disappointed in [Torbush] who claims to be such a straight and narrow devout Christian missed that part about forgiveness.

Evidently, my neighbor's wife had too much to drink last night. She came home around midnight, plowed her car through my fence, ran over my dog, and knocked down my apple tree.

This morning, her husband, who is a straight-and-narrow devout Christian, came over. He said he had decided to forgive his wife, and I was on my own for the damages. His wife invited me over for drinks this evening.

Do you think I should go?
07-05-2017 01:45 PM
seagrove10 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(07-05-2017 01:45 PM)Flippmb Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 04:24 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Little disappointed in [Torbush] who claims to be such a straight and narrow devout Christian missed that part about forgiveness.

Evidently, my neighbor's wife had too much to drink last night. She came home around midnight, plowed her car through my fence, ran over my dog, and knocked down my apple tree.

This morning, her husband, who is a straight-and-narrow devout Christian, came over. He said he had decided to forgive his wife, and I was on my own for the damages. His wife invited me over for drinks this evening.

A line from "Moby-Dick" by Herman Melville goes: "Better sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian".
07-05-2017 04:46 PM
Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

Forgiveness and reconciliation are not the same thing. I'm sure apologies have been made and forgiveness offered. Reconciliation is a sometimes lengthy process of earning trust back, however, and we will need a assistant coach before that process could even begin to be completed.

We are commanded to forgive (for those who missed Sunday School, it's Matthew 6:14-15), or our own "transgressions" will not be forgiven. We are also told to work towards reconciliation with those who seek forgiveness.

Forgiveness: "I accept your apology for what happened to my fence and dog."

Reconciliation: "I appreciate your paying my vet bills and all the work you've done fixing my yard and fence back even better than it was to begin with. I also appreciate that your wife is in rehab and that she is very sorry for what happened, and I hope she is better soon. Feel free to come by my cookout this weekend."
07-05-2017 06:36 PM
Flippmb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(07-05-2017 06:36 PM)Buckyball Wrote:  Forgiveness and reconciliation are not the same thing. I'm sure apologies have been made and forgiveness offered. Reconciliation is a sometimes lengthy process of earning trust back, however, and we will need a assistant coach before that process could even begin to be completed.

We are commanded to forgive (for those who missed Sunday School, it's Matthew 6:14-15), or our own "transgressions" will not be forgiven. We are also told to work towards reconciliation with those who seek forgiveness.

Forgiveness: "I accept your apology for what happened to my fence and dog."

Reconciliation: "I appreciate your paying my vet bills and all the work you've done fixing my yard and fence back even better than it was to begin with. I also appreciate that your wife is in rehab and that she is very sorry for what happened, and I hope she is better soon. Feel free to come by my cookout this weekend."

Sounds good to me. Not sure I can get the dog to go along.
07-06-2017 07:47 AM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

(07-05-2017 01:45 PM)Flippmb Wrote:  

He didn't get behind the wheel of a car. He showed his ass to an overnight desk clerk. Sure would've been nice to allow the judicial process to play out, or to maybe give him the same leeway they gave Dr. Champouillion for years of sexually harrassing students and colleagues, or perhaps allowing him to resign over what will amount to a very low level misdemeanor if anything compared to Yaser Zaatini, who should probably be sitting in a jail cell but was allowed to resign and will probably keep his state retirement.
Bit of a double standard, imo from the university. Like I said, I'm interested to see how it plays out with him when he gets his day in court.
07-06-2017 03:26 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

The music teacher was tenured. To my knowledge this was only the 3rd time the university has fired a tenured faculty member, and the first time since right before Dr. Noland took over. There are procedures that must be followed there. Yaser's situation was taken care of very swiftly after the university found out about it, and he will likely end up in prison for some time.

I do believe that we should allow the legal system to play out when someone is arrested. Similar to when the Dean of Education was recently arrested for domestic violence and the university removed him from the dean position (did not dismiss him) prior to the evidence being admitted to court. I would be fine waiting until a guilty verdict in court in this type of situation.

But coach has created a culture within the football program where disrespect isn't tolerated. He has dismissed players for much less disruptive behavior than Brumett exhibited. If this is the culture you are creating (and I support it), you have to hold the coaches accountable when they fail to uphold to this standard.
07-06-2017 03:54 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I wonder what the university policy actually is on employees who get arrested/charged with a crime vs. convicted and based on the level (misdemeanor/felony).
07-06-2017 07:49 PM
prosec34 Offline
2nd String

Holding people accountable is critical to a football program. From the top to the bottom, from the long snapper to the quarterback, everyone needs to know that people are treated the same and that standards won't be compromised.

The second a head coach bends those rules for anyone, the whole thing can fall apart.
07-06-2017 09:16 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

(07-06-2017 09:16 PM)prosec34 Wrote:  Holding people accountable is critical to a football program. From the top to the bottom, from the long snapper to the quarterback, everyone needs to know that people are treated the same and that standards won't be compromised.

The second a head coach bends those rules for anyone, the whole thing can fall apart.

So is affording them due process...
07-07-2017 12:59 PM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(07-07-2017 12:59 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 09:16 PM)prosec34 Wrote:  Holding people accountable is critical to a football program. From the top to the bottom, from the long snapper to the quarterback, everyone needs to know that people are treated the same and that standards won't be compromised.

I think an interesting question would be what if, at the end of the day, the coach in question is proven totally innocent?
07-07-2017 02:25 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

(07-07-2017 02:25 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  

I think an interesting question would be what if, at the end of the day, the coach in question is proven totally innocent?

Or the charges dropped altogether, plead down to a citation that's about the equivalent to a speeding ticket, etc...
That's been my point. Not excusing what he allegedly did or didn't do, but maybe the university should've afforded him due process since after all, they're a government entity and due process applies DIRECTLY to them.
07-07-2017 03:08 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
(07-07-2017 03:08 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  

Or the charges dropped altogether, plead down to a citation that's about the equivalent to a speeding ticket, etc...
That's been my point. Not excusing what he allegedly did or didn't do, but maybe the university should've afforded him due process since after all, they're a government entity and due process applies DIRECTLY to them.
Sounds like they did investigate it just putting him on suspension. What they got back, they obviously didn't like.
07-09-2017 08:42 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

(07-09-2017 08:42 AM)etsuandpurdue3 Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 03:08 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  

Sounds like they did investigate it just putting him on suspension. What they got back, they obviously didn't like.
I'm sure a government entity not affording someone due process is certainly a fair way of handling that situation.
07-09-2017 04:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.