Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Win for churches
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Win for churches
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...102438402/

7-2 court ruled that Missouri church could not be discriminated against solely because it was a church. Ginsburg and Sotomayor were the two who believe the 1st amendment is freedom from religion.

Strong win for those who still believe in the original intent of the 1st amendment, freedom of religion, not from.
06-26-2017 10:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
RE: Win for churches
(06-26-2017 10:33 AM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...102438402/

7-2 court ruled that Missouri church could not be discriminated against solely because it was a church. Ginsburg and Sotomayor were the two who believe the 1st amendment is freedom from religion.

Strong win for those who still believe in the original intent of the 1st amendment, freedom of religion, not from.

Please let ginsburg be replaced soon..
06-26-2017 10:41 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(06-26-2017 10:41 AM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 10:33 AM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...102438402/

Please let ginsburg be replaced soon..

Mean is forever....she will have her animated head in a jar like Nixon on Futurama.
06-26-2017 10:58 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I read part of Sotomayor's decision and she must be selecting her clerks via the same affirmative action that got her on the bench because Lord save us from that level of logical scrambling to make a political point!
06-26-2017 11:13 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
wise latina.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
06-26-2017 12:04 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
I would be wary of accepti g public funds. That's all I will say about this.

06-26-2017 12:05 PM
Advertisement

umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!

Good news!

(Bit of a pun there.)

Also, nice to see that somebody else understands the Founders' intent regarding the 1st Amendment as opposed to a later court's incorrect interpretation.
06-26-2017 12:07 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
(06-26-2017 12:05 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  I would be wary of accepti g public funds. That's all I will say about this.

FWIW, I agree here..
06-26-2017 12:37 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

They want $225 for an annual subscription to USA Today?!?!?!

Are they freakin' insane?

Never mind. I know the answer.
06-26-2017 01:08 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-26-2017 01:08 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  $225 for an annual subscription to USA Today?!?!
I remember reading that paper every chance I got in the 80s/90s. Now, I couldn't tell you when was the last time I even saw a copy of it, much less actually read one...
06-26-2017 03:24 PM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
So your ok with your tax dollars going to mosques, temples, and scientology centers? I figured republicans would be staunchly against this.
06-26-2017 03:29 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(06-26-2017 03:24 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 01:08 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  $225 for an annual subscription to USA Today?!?!
I remember reading that paper every chance I got in the 80s/90s. Now, I couldn't tell you when was the last time I even saw a copy of it, much less actually read one...

The only time I read USA Today is reading the complimentary copy while taking a crap in a hotel.
06-26-2017 03:31 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(06-26-2017 03:29 PM)Godzilla Wrote:  So your ok with your tax dollars going to mosques, temples, and scientology centers? I figured republicans would be staunchly against this.

Why would you "figure" that other than being a political/religious bigot?

No. I would have no problem if the local Mosque with a pre-school or whatever this was using the exact same program as this Church. Kids are kids.
06-26-2017 04:07 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(06-26-2017 03:29 PM)Godzilla Wrote:  So your ok with your tax dollars going to mosques, temples, and scientology centers? I figured republicans would be staunchly against this.

For things that aren't religious in nature, yes.

If a Mosque is out there building playgrounds for kids they should be eligible for public money.

That's what this is about--making Churches etc. eligible to receive public money for the good they do outside proselytizing.

Your mischaracterization is just that.
06-26-2017 04:38 PM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
(06-26-2017 04:38 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

If a Mosque is out there building playgrounds for kids they should be eligible for public money.

That's what this is about--making Churches etc. eligible to receive public money for the good they do outside proselytizing.

Lol I think your projecting a little bit. I never said I disagree with it I was just surprised y'all were so for it. Republicans aren't exactly known for advocating their tax dollars go to the church of Satan... even if it's to build playgrounds. I find the last sentence of the OP particularly disturbing though. The first amendment does and was ment to protect people from religion and expressly establishes us as a secular nation. So we need to monitor these religious institutions closely to make sure they are using the money for nothing more than the reason they got it.
06-26-2017 05:22 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
As long as the church facility that is requesting the funds is open to the public?....I have no problem with this decision. I assume that was the SCOTUS's feelings also.
06-26-2017 07:41 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(06-26-2017 05:22 PM)Godzilla Wrote:  

Lol I think your projecting a little bit. I never said I disagree with it I was just surprised y'all were so for it. Republicans aren't exactly known for advocating their tax dollars go to the church of Satan... even if it's to build playgrounds. I find the last sentence of the OP particularly disturbing though. The first amendment does and was ment to protect people from religion and expressly establishes us as a secular nation. So we need to monitor these religious institutions closely to make sure they are using the money for nothing more than the reason they got it.

I don't get to discriminate between religions...regardless of which I personally feel are BS. I expect the SCOTUS had the same view.
06-26-2017 07:46 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

Well, that's one line of thought.
06-26-2017 08:30 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

Quakers, Puritans, Hugenots. Our nation was populated with people trying to get away from state sponsored religion. They wanted to be free to practice what they wanted or not if they chose not to.

The First Amendment was to allow free expression of whatever religion you chose. If you don't understand that, as many Democrats don't, your history education was grossly inadequate. Democrats want to use it to try to suppress religion and discriminate against the religious (see Bernie Sanders).
06-26-2017 08:47 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

Strange....I don't read that in the text.

Quote:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Perhaps you could point out the part that backs your claim.
06-26-2017 09:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.