Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference USA Preseason Position Reviews: The final tally
Bookmark and Share
GreenSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: Thundering Herd
Conference USA Preseason Position Reviews: The final tally
Now that we are done I figured it would be cool to compile the results from each position review to see where teams stand. When I first started the series I couldn’t wait to see what the results yielded.

What results am I talking about? Well, I’ve decided to award each team points based on where they were placed in our categories. Each team received three points for a "Great Shape," two points for a "Good Shape," and one point for a "We'll See."

Because certain positions are more crucial than others, I decided to give a weighted value for quarterbacks and decreased the value of kickers and punters.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/6/2...on-la-tech
06-26-2017 05:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
RE: Conference USA Preseason Position Reviews: The final tally
I love seeing all these doubters. It's going to be a "I tried to tell you" kind of season. Not used to these but it's going to be fun.
06-26-2017 08:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Collin_Ellis Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tech
(06-26-2017 08:42 AM)MU ATO Wrote:  I love seeing all these doubters. It's going to be a "I tried to tell you" kind of season. Not used to these but it's going to be fun.

I hope so. CUSA needs all the good teams it can get.
06-26-2017 08:43 AM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

Donators
(06-26-2017 08:43 AM)Collin_Ellis Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 08:42 AM)MU ATO Wrote:  I love seeing all these doubters. It's going to be a "I tried to tell you" kind of season. Not used to these but it's going to be fun.

I'm not saying conf championship game either. I just highly doubt we finish near the bottom of the east.
06-26-2017 08:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MonarchManiac Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
If only pre-season rankings = on-field results.... :-)
06-26-2017 09:17 AM
Advertisement

wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I'll say again like I did last year, Charlotte will not finish last in the East.
06-26-2017 09:42 AM
ODUBB35 Online
Heisman

I hope that these prognosticators see something that I don't. I like ODU's team, but having a question mark at QB is a bit bigger than at other positions.

But WTH. Aim High!!!
06-26-2017 09:49 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-26-2017 09:42 AM)wh49er Wrote:  I'll say again like I did last year, Charlotte will not finish last in the East.

I don't think so either. I don't see a winning season in the future, but I don't think we'll be the worst team in the east.
06-26-2017 10:13 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I'm humbled and all but I disagree with this assessment. We haven't proved we can hang with WKU on the field - there's no way we should be rated higher than them in the preseason. We don't know who our QB is and out of the 3 guys competing only 1 of them has had a bit of playing time, and it wasn't all too pretty. Hard to hype up the machine when we don't have a driver yet.
06-26-2017 10:19 AM
Advertisement

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
The only position I'm worried about for the Raiders is DL. But it's not like we were good there last year. All three starting LB's are back and three of four DB's. Should be solid in the back seven.

The teams I'm worried about are Marshall and FAU. Those will be the two most improved teams IMO. The east will be a beast this year. Sorry Charlotte. You will finish last. Too much to replace.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2017 10:35 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
06-26-2017 10:34 AM
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
I'm thinking 3rd in east is a solid goal. W/out having a single QB that has more than a few minutes playing time that's a huge hurdle. Lost a starter on OL as well due to off-field shenanigans and a potential starting LB.

I think all the pre-season pub is awesome but we're not used to that. I need everyone to say we'll finish last.
06-26-2017 10:36 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(06-26-2017 10:19 AM)odu09 Wrote:  I'm humbled and all but I disagree with this assessment. We haven't proved we can hang with WKU on the field - there's no way we should be rated higher than them in the preseason. We don't know who our QB is and out of the 3 guys competing only 1 of them has had a bit of playing time, and it wasn't all too pretty. Hard to hype up the machine when we don't have a driver yet.

This would concern me too. I think the east is loaded this year and with uncertainty going into July at the QB position would make me uncomfortable.
06-26-2017 10:37 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

(06-26-2017 10:13 AM)Niner National Wrote:  
(06-26-2017 09:42 AM)wh49er Wrote:  I'll say again like I did last year, Charlotte will not finish last in the East.

I don't think so either. I don't see a winning season in the future, but I don't think we'll be the worst team in the east.

I'm expecting a season similar to last year. The only way we are getting to 6 wins is if we start off winning 4 out of the first 5 games, possible but a tall task for this team.
06-26-2017 12:57 PM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

How many "good teams " the conference has is irrelevant unless they win most of the G-5 OOC games and win a few P-5 games. Otherwise we're talking about the best teams in a weak conference. Have to at least finish ahead of Sun belt and MAC and win most bowl games.
06-26-2017 01:27 PM
HERD1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MARSHALL
(06-26-2017 08:46 AM)MU ATO Wrote:  

I'm not saying conf championship game either. I just highly doubt we finish near the bottom of the east.

I don't understand why you think we'll be so much improved from last year (other than just hopes and dreams). We've done absolutely nothing/have made no changes other than "we'll just try harder" to improve from last year. We're still being coached by one of the most inept staffs in college football. Our recruiting is still towards the bottom of CUSA, we are still seeing player defections. No Marshall fan has any bit of actual factual evidence to support us being better. I think we do worse than 3-9 this year, in all honesty. There has been absolutely nothing done to make me believe otherwise.
06-27-2017 11:46 AM
GreenSteve Offline
1st String

(06-27-2017 11:46 AM)HERD1 Wrote:  

I don't understand why you think we'll be so much improved from last year (other than just hopes and dreams). We've done absolutely nothing/have made no changes other than "we'll just try harder" to improve from last year. We're still being coached by one of the most inept staffs in college football. Our recruiting is still towards the bottom of CUSA, we are still seeing player defections. No Marshall fan has any bit of actual factual evidence to support us being better. I think we do worse than 3-9 this year, in all honesty. There has been absolutely nothing done to make me believe otherwise.

I agree... What makes anyone think we're going to reverse a 3-9 season is beyond me. I know injuries were a big part of last year, but I just don't see a big turnaround...
06-27-2017 12:02 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

Donators

It's based on the core talent that is there and what was added over the past 2-3 years. The recruiting has not been towards the bottom. I'm not sure where you get that from. The defections were addressed and they are not the reason for only 3 wins last year. We needed WRs, DBs, RBs, and kicker and all of that the was addressed. Plus some talented players on defense are ready to play this year. As I've said all along I base my outlook on the talent that is there and the hopes that injuries don't decimate again. The other glaring issue was the other stuff that happened behind the scenes and I don't see that happening again. As far as coaching goes it was all good winning 10 plus games a year but then after a fluke season everything is bad. LOL.

I'll add you to my list of I tried to tell you.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2017 12:05 PM by MU ATO.)
06-27-2017 12:03 PM
Advertisement

GreenSteve Offline
1st String

(06-27-2017 12:03 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  

It's based on the core talent that is there and what was added over the past 2-3 years. The recruiting has not been towards the bottom. I'm not sure where you get that from. The defections were addressed and they are not the reason for only 3 wins last year. We needed WRs, DBs, RBs, and kicker and all of that the was addressed. Plus some talented players on defense are ready to play this year. As I've said all along I base my outlook on the talent that is there and the hopes that injuries don't decimate again. The other glaring issue was the other stuff that happened behind the scenes and I don't see that happening again. As far as coaching goes it was all good winning 10 plus games a year but then after a fluke season everything is bad. LOL.

Add me too... not buying it. We'll see.
06-27-2017 03:26 PM
HERD1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MARSHALL
(06-27-2017 12:03 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  

Doc did no better than Snyder against the same talent (we have 3 years of data proving that). Isn't it interesting that as soon as the conference got gutted, Doc magically begins the 3 10 win seasons? We were getting worse overall during that time, but it was masked by us getting to move down a division in football. Now last year showed us, our talent can't compete in even the worst conference in I-A. We went year by year from the 70-80's with Snyder to now the 100-120's with Doc. We got out talented, KILLED AT HOME, by Akron last year who finished 5-7. When you take into account that about 6 of Doc's top 10 recruits EACH YEAR never see the field (an extremely high number) his classes have been towards the bottom of CUSA since he's been here - which is EXACTLY why we are where we are now. Yes, every team has defections, but literally half to 3/4ths of Doc's top 10 never materialize. That is extreme. Any coach can recruit high risk players, that nobody else wants, most are smart enough to stay away though. It's ironic that all we heard was how great of a recruiter Doc was...as it turns out, it's his biggest weakness...

Hamrick made it clear that he was cool with the downward spiral we've been on - basically changing nothing from last season "all just a fluke"...coaching staff is just going to "try harder". I'll be surprised, shocked even, if we win 2 games.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2017 05:43 PM by HERD1.)
06-27-2017 05:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.