Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

HBCU's might be looking to form semi-pro league
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
MyBB HBCU's might be looking to form semi-pro league
The plan is to go after high level recruits and offer them the college experience and get paid at the same time. Guess it will be like a cross between the NBA development league and college ball.

HBCU Semi Pro League Idea

They also would be paid to play basketball, between $50,000 and $100,000 a year. Moreover, they would be allowed to endorse products, sell autographs, sign with agents, accept gifts from boosters, declare for the NBA draft, and even be drafted by NBA teams without losing their eligibility.
06-22-2017 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: HBCU's might be looking to form semi-pro league
Duplicate thread "Investment group seeking to form HBCU pay-for-play league to attract nation’s best"
http://csnbbs.com/thread-820490.html
06-22-2017 03:57 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
HBCU's might be looking to form semi-pro league
Just curious, who is going to pay for this and where will they play? Schools do not have large arenas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06-22-2017 06:42 PM
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

(06-22-2017 06:42 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  Just curious, who is going to pay for this and where will they play? Schools do not have large arenas.

From what I read, they are looking for investors to help with initial startup, and then look to Media rights and endorsement deals to keep the league running. Most of those schools have at least a 7k arena to play in, or access to one nearby. Those schools have a large passionate fan base, so I can see it working.

If they are successful, I could see larger schools pressuring their State Government to pass laws against the funding for those schools. As soon as Kentucky looses the #1 H.S. recruit to Grambling because he can make 100k plus endorsements while still being in college, you can best believe that they will find any way they can to squash it.
06-23-2017 09:10 AM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(06-22-2017 06:42 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  Just curious, who is going to pay for this and where will they play? Schools do not have large arenas.

You know the stadium does not actually need to be large to make a profit if you make it a form on entertainment. Alabama A&M for example has a 21k stadium that could be easily closed to have double that. But even so...I can think of a few ways to make a football game more exciting.

So let's say I'm at an HBCU and I have a 21k stadium with Alabama A&M vs Alabama State. First, why do people like to go to concerts? Good music and the experience. So what if I can make a football game and concert? And mix that with team pride?

1. Sell drinks at the stadium.
2. Have a 40 minute half time with a celebrity performer. Say, a rapper like B.O.B.
3. Sell food people actually want.
4. Get the local campus Greek organizations to tailgate outside the event.

This would be easy to sell out.....I have not even mentioned the actual football game yet.

5. Put quality players on the field and workout a deal with ESPN 3.
6. Take away all of the stupid rules on players such as them not being able to get gifts.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2017 10:25 AM by TrojanCampaign.)
06-23-2017 10:20 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Until top players see it as the path to a lottery pick, just not likely to gain traction.
06-23-2017 10:40 AM
Advertisement

TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(06-23-2017 10:40 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Until top players see it as the path to a lottery pick, just not likely to gain traction.

^^ Not so sure about that if they get the right investors.

They don't need to get the 5 star recruits. They need to get the 3-4 star players that are going to G5 schools because they have no where else to go. Then if you couple that with more player friendly practices such as extending halftime to give players longer rest. And extending the quarters to allow more players to get playing time/experience.

Part of the problem with college football now is that you have extremely talented guys that never get playing time. My USC Trojans for example, heard of Max Browne? I bet not, he was a high school prodigy QB who started maybe 2 games at USC. Not because he was bad, there were just better options than him.

He transferred to Pitt as a graduate with hopes of actually getting to play 1 season and show what he can do. What if he went to one of the HBCU leagues and they had a 16 game season? That's a lot of tape for an NFL team to make a decision.
06-23-2017 10:53 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(06-23-2017 10:20 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

You know the stadium does not actually need to be large to make a profit if you make it a form on entertainment. Alabama A&M for example has a 21k stadium that could be easily closed to have double that. But even so...I can think of a few ways to make a football game more exciting.

So let's say I'm at an HBCU and I have a 21k stadium with Alabama A&M vs Alabama State. First, why do people like to go to concerts? Good music and the experience. So what if I can make a football game and concert? And mix that with team pride?

2. Have a 40 minute half time with a celebrity performer. Say, a rapper like B.O.B.

This would be easy to sell out.....I have not even mentioned the actual football game yet.

6. Take away all of the stupid rules on players such as them not being able to get gifts.

I don't know about USC and Alabama, but UC has always 1) sold drinks at the stadium, and 2) sold food people actually want.

If we didn't sell beer, no one would go. The German culture is still alive and well in Cincinnati - even Church festivals go through kegs by the dozen.
06-23-2017 11:05 AM
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

(06-23-2017 10:40 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Until top players see it as the path to a lottery pick, just not likely to gain traction.

That's right, but if you get one or two 5* guys to come play for 100k, and then become a lottery pick. It would open up the floodgates for all the rest of the blue chip players. I ain't gonna lie, if I had a son that I could send to college, and he makes 100k plus endorsements right out of high school, and he doesn't have to leave the country (Euroball) to do it. I would send him in a heartbeat.
06-23-2017 11:16 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(06-23-2017 10:20 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  You know the stadium does not actually need to be large to make a profit if you make it a form on entertainment. Alabama A&M for example has a 21k stadium that could be easily closed to have double that. But even so...I can think of a few ways to make a football game more exciting.

I'm not quite sure if you will run a profit if you make a Saturday college football experience, which is already six hours to most people, even LONGER and drawn out.

As for alcohol sales, the concessionaire, or campus food service provider (like Sedexho or Aramark) generally have the liquor license as opposed to the university itself. They are the ones who generally receive the bulk of the revenue. Same thing goes for food options, it all goes through them to the point that local businesses don't pair up to sell as it's not worth the time and effort.
06-23-2017 12:59 PM
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

(06-23-2017 12:59 PM)Renandpat Wrote:  
(06-23-2017 10:20 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  You know the stadium does not actually need to be large to make a profit if you make it a form on entertainment. Alabama A&M for example has a 21k stadium that could be easily closed to have double that. But even so...I can think of a few ways to make a football game more exciting.

I'm not quite sure if you will run a profit if you make a Saturday college football experience, which is already six hours to most people, even LONGER and drawn out.

As for alcohol sales, the concessionaire, or campus food service provider (like Sedexho or Aramark) generally have the liquor license as opposed to the university itself. They are the ones who generally receive the bulk of the revenue. Same thing goes for food options, it all goes through them to the point that local businesses don't pair up to sell as it's not worth the time and effort.
It is a basketball only league. No football as of now.
06-23-2017 01:13 PM
Advertisement

Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(06-23-2017 01:13 PM)SouthernBoiNOLA Wrote:  

So how would adding those ideas of yours to basketball make it more attractive to the fan base to go? All your alcohol revenue basically would pay for your concert performer.

Plus, there is likely to be an IRS audit of the school, department and/or players if something like this ever occurred.
06-23-2017 01:54 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
This idea is stupid because it will hurt HBCU's.

Scenario A: it doesn't attract materially better athletes or crowds.
---> costs increase, revenues stay the same, and the HBCUs are screwed out of the difference.

Scenario B: it attracts better athletes and crowds.
---> Big BB schools in the NCAA strong arm it into changing the rules, and they start paying and buy back their players. They have deeper pockets and use their money to further consolidate power.
---> costs increase, revenues decrease, and the HBCUs are screwed out of the difference.

They lose either way.
06-23-2017 02:08 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(06-23-2017 01:54 PM)Renandpat Wrote:  
(06-23-2017 01:13 PM)SouthernBoiNOLA Wrote:  

So how would adding those ideas of yours to basketball make it more attractive to the fan base to go? All your alcohol revenue basically would pay for your concert performer.

Plus, there is likely to be an IRS audit of the school, department and/or players if something like this ever occurred.

The co-opt the HBCU's has a crap ton of problems.
1. You have to pay them something for the use of their name and trademarks.
2. You have to pay them something for the use of their facilities.
3. You have to make them whole in some manner for giving up their varsity team or you create mega market confusion running a pro team using the same name.
4. Some of the locations just aren't going to be financially viable. Itta Bena has 2000 people, the entire county has 32,000 and roughly 35% are below the poverty line. Pine Bluff at one time was the second largest city in Arkansas and the Razorbacks played some of their home basketball games there. Population since 1970 has dropped 14.5%. 2010 census had 49,083 estimated in 2016 to be 43,841 about 31% of the population below poverty line. Alcorn State is in a county with a population of 7,726 in area of 527 sq miles.
Maybe could do some good taking over MEAC school hoops teams but a lot of the SWAC is in communities that are guaranteed money losers. Maybe you can have the Mississippi Valley team play in a Memphis suburb or such and have Alcorn play in Vicksburg or Natchez etc.
06-23-2017 02:09 PM
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

(06-23-2017 02:08 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  This idea is stupid because it will hurt HBCU's.

---> costs increase, revenues stay the same, and the HBCUs are screwed out of the difference.

---> Big BB schools in the NCAA strong arm it into changing the rules, and they start paying and buy back their players. They have deeper pockets and use their money to further consolidate power.
---> costs increase, revenues decrease, and the HBCUs are screwed out of the difference.

They lose either way.
Right now, HBCU's can barely pay for their sports departments. They are running their entire Athletics Departments on budgets that some schools spend on their baseball team. If this idea brings in a million per school, it would be a double those schools athletic budgets.
I can't see a reason for them not too, they are getting hosed by the NCAA right now, so if this makes them money at the expense of getting larger schools pissed, or it doesnt work and they are in the same place they were already in, then so be it.
06-23-2017 06:56 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(06-23-2017 06:56 PM)SouthernBoiNOLA Wrote:  
(06-23-2017 02:08 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  This idea is stupid because it will hurt HBCU's.

They lose either way.
Right now, HBCU's can barely pay for their sports departments. They are running their entire Athletics Departments on budgets that some schools spend on their baseball team. If this idea brings in a million per school, it would be a double those schools athletic budgets.
I can't see a reason for them not too, they are getting hosed by the NCAA right now, so if this makes them money at the expense of getting larger schools pissed, or it doesnt work and they are in the same place they were already in, then so be it.

So your theory is that a bunch of schools w/ shoe string athletics budgets should dump *millions* into their AD's, thereby financially crippling both the schools and the athletic departments just for the sake of trying to start an arms race against schools w/ athletics departments w/ hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue?

Do you honestly not see the potential (almost certain) downside to that plan?
06-23-2017 08:51 PM
Advertisement

SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

(06-23-2017 08:51 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

They lose either way.

So your theory is that a bunch of schools w/ shoe string athletics budgets should dump *millions* into their AD's, thereby financially crippling both the schools and the athletic departments just for the sake of trying to start an arms race against schools w/ athletics departments w/ hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue?

That is the beauty of the plan. There is an outside company running the league using outside investors for startup cost. The outside company licensing the name from the HBCU, and paying them to use the campuses gym. In return the kid is admitted as a college student. No money is coming from the HBCU.
06-23-2017 09:50 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(06-23-2017 09:50 PM)SouthernBoiNOLA Wrote:  

They lose either way.

That is the beauty of the plan. There is an outside company running the league using outside investors for startup cost. The outside company licensing the name from the HBCU, and paying them to use the campuses gym. In return the kid is admitted as a college student. No money is coming from the HBCU.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-drunk03-drunk03-drunk03-drunk03-drunk01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle
06-23-2017 09:57 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Isn't it clear to everyone that Schwarz's real aim is to be lord of this league, where contracts would be through him. And importantly their future professional rights. He thus gets a cut of advertising and other revenue, and holds the rights to future contracts, so NBA or NFL must buy him out. His model is the Chiese and other Asian leagues.

This white money shark has no interest in the African American schools or community, except to make himself money.

Hopefully both the desperate HBCUs see through him, and also the G League dent his "best of the best" theory (like kids really think this start up wll offer better results than going through KU, UK, Duke, or UNC)
06-23-2017 10:08 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(06-23-2017 09:50 PM)SouthernBoiNOLA Wrote:  

They lose either way.

Fair enough
06-23-2017 10:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.