Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret...
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

I Root For: Wichita State
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret...
Would you like to know why so many Shocker fans are D-Bags? Okay, let me lay it out for ya.

For as far back as anyone can remember, we've been pounding sorry-ass programs into the ground with impunity. The coaching staff found it IMPOSSIBLE to schedule home-and-homes with any decent brand school because they knew exactly what would happen if they came into Koch Arena for the return game. So until recently, we've had to subsist on eating ****, year in and year out, in conference and out. Once Creighton left, it was nothing but pure wall to wall ****. So we pounded Hidden Valley schools even harder.

This has been going on for more than a decade. Hell, back in 2007 we started taking buy games just so we could get a little test. Syracuse paid us 80k to go into their barn and beat the living **** out of them. At one point we were up by 29... or was it a 29-3 run...? I don't remember. The T.V. commentator said we broke all kinds of records for the beating we unleashed on the Orangemen inside the Carrier Dome. Scheduling was so bad that Mark Turgeon, the pride of ChicKUnville, approached Bill Self about a game. ESPN got in on the deal and said it would be prime-time. Mark agreed to play the game inside the ChicKUn Coop. UK stalled... eventually saying the game didn't make sense for them. This is the kind of **** we've had to put up with since escaping the abyss of the 90's. Everybody and their dog has tried to keep a once proud (national program) from rebuilding. Back in the 80's we were an NBA farm club sending All-American after All-American to the Association. But it was a different time now in college athletics, and it appeared nobody cared to see the Shockers rise again.

Circa 2007 and in comes a cocky chap from a tiny school called Winthrop with promises of building on what Turgeon left. His first year was a disaster. It was so bad he went into the AD's office and asked that he be fired. AD Jim Schaus reassured the young coach that he had his full support and everything would be fine. Gregg went back to his staff with new purpose and ordered them to bring in players tall enough that he'd have to look up or they would be finding new jobs. The rest is history... But the scheduling difficulties continued. We started getting into some decent exempt tournaments and things improved a little. In 2012 we won the NIT championship. In 2013, we finally got our shot to play some noteworthy teams on a big stage. We did not disappoint. Since the Final Four run we've played some brands and whipped their asses in front of God and country. Of course our egos have swollen, but it's been more like a primal aggression has awakened in many of us. We've been hungry for so long, we've know what Wichita State was capable of, what support there was in the community, our tradition. We weren't going to be happy with a few flash in the pan Cinderella runs. We wanted back in, to have a permanent seat at the table - like it once was before we were shut down by "big brother".

So here we are today, we've passed the revival stage and are now working on getting reinstated back into the club. We find ourselves in a new league with 3 brand names (one quickly fading). We're not coming in with the attitude that "Wow, we've finally made it." bull****! We're coming in to shut the mouths of all the naysayers who've continued to disrespect our accomplishments (some here in this forum) because of the conference we were trapped in. We've come to take our frustrations out on the nice people of Cincinnati, Connecticut, and Memphis in order to complete the resurgence of a once proud program. We're not really any better than we were a year ago, or two years, or five. We're the same pissed off, jilted basketball program where everybody from the towel boy to the head coach has a chip on their shoulder and is pissed off at a system that rewards association and not merit.

So you see, it's not just a game, or a challenge for another conference championship, it's the final leg of a journey that started 30 years ago after we got the death penalty, lost our blue chip train and had our program completely and utterly dismantled. Shocker Basketball was all Wichita had, people used to order their cars adorned with Shocker paint schemes and decals. Wichita State was everything to this modest, blue-collar town. It had no equal.

So let me close by quoting the great General James "Mad Dog" Mattis: "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Perhaps we missed out on the polite and professional part, but make no mistake, the Shockers are coming to this conference to eat. Maybe we get a lesson taught to us, maybe we're not ready to take the next step. A rebalancing of expectations could be healthy, albeit unlikely. I feel this is our time now. We've swallowed enough conference ****-sandwiches and suffered through enough bad luck to last a lifetime. We've come to get the respect we've already earned by eliminating the last remaining excuse haters have to hold us down.

T

...03-cool
06-22-2017 01:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shock Offline
Ass-Kicking Booby-Loving 'Murican

I Root For: U of Wichita
RE: I'm gonna let you in on a little secret...
[Image: tumblr_nhvykiXjbU1sajg7no1_500.gif]
06-22-2017 01:21 AM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
Hey, be grateful ya jerks. Some schools would kill to be in your shoes...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
06-22-2017 01:34 AM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(06-22-2017 01:34 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  Hey, be grateful ya jerks. Some schools would kill to be in your shoes...

^^He knows^^
06-22-2017 02:29 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
Navy
Whichita St
is a pretty great combo

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
06-22-2017 03:19 AM
PIRATE TERP Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU / MARYLAND
AD Compher please take note ... required attitude adjustment ... all the best to the Shocks ... 04-cheers 04-rock 05-stirthepot
06-22-2017 06:36 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
They will come back to earth pretty quickly in the AAC. I expect them to be in the top 1/2 of the league most years fighting for the title. There is no free pass in this league.
06-22-2017 06:53 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
Love passionate fans with attitudes. Welcome aboard Shocker fans!
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 08:17 AM by 8BitPirate.)
06-22-2017 08:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(06-22-2017 01:34 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  Hey, be grateful ya jerks. Some schools would kill to be in your shoes...

Nah .. that's how you fall off :) ... Still need that National Championship (or 5)
06-22-2017 09:34 AM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(06-22-2017 06:53 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  They will come back to earth pretty quickly in the AAC. I expect them to be in the top 1/2 of the league most years fighting for the title. There is no free pass in this league.

The hope isn't that WSU will come back to earth as much as that the rest of the league will rise to compete with WSU (and the other top AAC teams).
06-22-2017 09:35 AM
StatueKnight Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
(06-22-2017 01:06 AM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  Would you like to know why so many Shocker fans are D-Bags? Okay, let me lay it out for ya.

For as far back as anyone can remember, we've been pounding sorry-ass programs into the ground with impunity. The coaching staff found it IMPOSSIBLE to schedule home-and-homes with any decent brand school because they knew exactly what would happen if they came into Koch Arena for the return game. So until recently, we've had to subsist on eating ****, year in and year out, in conference and out. Once Creighton left, it was nothing but pure wall to wall ****. So we pounded Hidden Valley schools even harder.

This has been going on for more than a decade. Hell, back in 2007 we started taking buy games just so we could get a little test. Syracuse paid us 80k to go into their barn and beat the living **** out of them. At one point we were up by 29... or was it a 29-3 run...? I don't remember. The T.V. commentator said we broke all kinds of records for the beating we unleashed on the Orangemen inside the Carrier Dome. Scheduling was so bad that Mark Turgeon, the pride of ChicKUnville, approached Bill Self about a game. ESPN got in on the deal and said it would be prime-time. Mark agreed to play the game inside the ChicKUn Coop. UK stalled... eventually saying the game didn't make sense for them. This is the kind of **** we've had to put up with since escaping the abyss of the 90's. Everybody and their dog has tried to keep a once proud (national program) from rebuilding. Back in the 80's we were an NBA farm club sending All-American after All-American to the Association. But it was a different time now in college athletics, and it appeared nobody cared to see the Shockers rise again.

Circa 2007 and in comes a cocky chap from a tiny school called Winthrop with promises of building on what Turgeon left. His first year was a disaster. It was so bad he went into the AD's office and asked that he be fired. AD Jim Schaus reassured the young coach that he had his full support and everything would be fine. Gregg went back to his staff with new purpose and ordered them to bring in players tall enough that he'd have to look up or they would be finding new jobs. The rest is history... But the scheduling difficulties continued. We started getting into some decent exempt tournaments and things improved a little. In 2012 we won the NIT championship. In 2013, we finally got our shot to play some noteworthy teams on a big stage. We did not disappoint. Since the Final Four run we've played some brands and whipped their asses in front of God and country. Of course our egos have swollen, but it's been more like a primal aggression has awakened in many of us. We've been hungry for so long, we've know what Wichita State was capable of, what support there was in the community, our tradition. We weren't going to be happy with a few flash in the pan Cinderella runs. We wanted back in, to have a permanent seat at the table - like it once was before we were shut down by "big brother".

So here we are today, we've passed the revival stage and are now working on getting reinstated back into the club. We find ourselves in a new league with 3 brand names (one quickly fading). We're not coming in with the attitude that "Wow, we've finally made it." bull****! We're coming in to shut the mouths of all the naysayers who've continued to disrespect our accomplishments (some here in this forum) because of the conference we were trapped in. We've come to take our frustrations out on the nice people of Cincinnati, Connecticut, and Memphis in order to complete the resurgence of a once proud program. We're not really any better than we were a year ago, or two years, or five. We're the same pissed off, jilted basketball program where everybody from the towel boy to the head coach has a chip on their shoulder and is pissed off at a system that rewards association and not merit.

So you see, it's not just a game, or a challenge for another conference championship, it's the final leg of a journey that started 30 years ago after we got the death penalty, lost our blue chip train and had our program completely and utterly dismantled. Shocker Basketball was all Wichita had, people used to order their cars adorned with Shocker paint schemes and decals. Wichita State was everything to this modest, blue-collar town. It had no equal.

So let me close by quoting the great General James "Mad Dog" Mattis: "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Perhaps we missed out on the polite and professional part, but make no mistake, the Shockers are coming to this conference to eat. Maybe we get a lesson taught to us, maybe we're not ready to take the next step. A rebalancing of expectations could be healthy, albeit unlikely. I feel this is our time now. We've swallowed enough conference ****-sandwiches and suffered through enough bad luck to last a lifetime. We've come to get the respect we've already earned by eliminating the last remaining excuse haters have to hold us down.

T

...03-cool

[Image: giphy.gif]
06-22-2017 09:46 AM
Advertisement

Eldonabe Online
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
Right now Cincy is your only competition. Uconn has started circling the bowl and Memphis is hot on their heels.

Uconn has a chance to plug the toilet and stop the swirl of death, but if Ollie can't make that happen this year - Uconn is in big trouble. Good thing you have Lady Husky basketball to keep you relevant to the 85 people that give a **** about women's basketball!
06-22-2017 09:58 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
05-stirthepot I think the 2017-2018 AAC Basketball season is going to be very interesting to watch play out. It appears many will be eating crow soon enough. 07-coffee3
06-22-2017 09:59 AM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
I dismissed this "tale of woe" when he used a hockey term for basketball. Also he's a troll, so there's your other reason to dismiss his post.
06-22-2017 10:05 AM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
I'd love to play OSU, UK, IU, etc. but they won't play us. Don't care about your plight. We've all got the cards stacked against us. Our mission is bigger than a basketball game, team, season, or program. You better be coming to eat.
06-22-2017 10:14 AM
Moody Magic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
(06-22-2017 09:35 AM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  
(06-22-2017 06:53 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  They will come back to earth pretty quickly in the AAC. I expect them to be in the top 1/2 of the league most years fighting for the title. There is no free pass in this league.

The hope isn't that WSU will come back to earth as much as that the rest of the league will rise to compete with WSU (and the other top AAC teams).

See, this statement perfectly sums up the problem most of us have with your fans attirude. You're implying that we need to "rise up" to compete with your program. How arrogant do you think that comes across for a team who's biggest accomplishment is a final four in 2013. You do realize UConn won the NATIONAL​ CHAMPIONSHIP in 2014? The program's 4th. UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis and Houston all have a more successful history than WSU, yet you're telling us we all need to rise up to compete with you. You have a fine program, a really good coach and a passionate fan base, but come on.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 10:21 AM by Moody Magic.)
06-22-2017 10:19 AM
Advertisement

shock Offline
Ass-Kicking Booby-Loving 'Murican

I Root For: U of Wichita
(06-22-2017 10:19 AM)Moody Magic Wrote:  

See, this statement perfectly sums up the problem most of us have with your fans attirude. You're implying that we need to "rise up" to compete with your program. How arrogant do you think that comes across for a team who's biggest accomplishment is a final four in 2013. You do realize UConn won the NATIONAL​ CHAMPIONSHIP in 2014? The program's 4th. UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis and Houston all have a more successful history than WSU, yet you're telling us we all need to rise up to compete with you. You have a fine program, a really good coach and a passionate fan base, but come on.
You are right. The future is totally decided on history.
06-22-2017 10:30 AM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

Pump the breaks a bit. That wasn't the intention of the post. WSU is predicted to be a Top 5-10 team next year. The goal of the AAC shouldn't be for WSU to be proved wrong and show they aren't a Top 5-10 team but for other schools to prove they are also Top 25 teams or whatever.

In the context of next year .. yes the AAC will probably need to rise up. In the context of long term .. absolutely you are correct. The point is let's all hope everyone rises up rather than hoping anyone "comes back to earth"

Too many MVC team fans were begging and wishing that Marshal would leave, or players would leave and jump at any chance to pull WSU down while their school sat and did nothing to improve themselves (ie keeping coaches for 10+ years that had never made the NCAA and rarely the NIT). That's where my comment stems from. Not trashing anyone's history, just let's not be hoping people "come back to earth" and instead lets have each fan's teams hoping they can overtake whoever is predicted at the top.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 10:53 AM by Stickboy46.)
06-22-2017 10:51 AM
Wudizzle Offline
1st String

This sentiment doesn't match the page of threads on this board last March when everyone was pissed about the top 2 teams in the league getting average seeds. The league added WSU because it wanted another current heavyweight basketball program. A WSU fan saying programs in this league need to rise up is like, well, fans from every program in this league saying programs need to rise up to improve the league. Which is in pretty much every basketball thread.
06-22-2017 11:13 AM
Moody Magic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
(06-22-2017 11:13 AM)Wudizzle Wrote:  

This sentiment doesn't match the page of threads on this board last March when everyone was pissed about the top 2 teams in the league getting average seeds. The league added WSU because it wanted another current heavyweight basketball program. A WSU fan saying programs in this league need to rise up is like, well, fans from every program in this league saying programs need to rise up to improve the league. Which is in pretty much every basketball thread.

When the flagship program of this conference​ has a year like UConn did, it is going to negatively impact the entire league. You couple that with our conference's lack of any big OOC wins (except Temple who had two) and the fact that the AAC has no one in the room fighting for us, we got what we probably deserved, 6 seeds.

Yes, adding WSU will help the overall profile but we still need our power programs , UConn and Cincy, to be good. And I'm sorry, WSU is a really good program but you're not a national heavyweight. Those are UNC, Duke, UCLA, Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan St, and if this conference has one, it is UConn.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 11:52 AM by Moody Magic.)
06-22-2017 11:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.