2017-18 NBA thread:
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
MyBB 2017-18 NBA thread:
Well the draft is the 22nd.

And, crazy early trades going down...

Hornets somehow want Dwight Howard

And the Lakers are making crazy move of their own.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2017 10:43 PM by PirateTreasureNC.)
06-21-2017 12:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
RE: 2017-18 NBA thread: NBA Draft 6/22
(06-21-2017 12:07 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  And the Lakers are making crazy move of their own.

Doesn't really seem that crazy to me. Russell is a nice player but he's not going to be great. And if they know they're going to draft Ball (which I think is the case) they probably don't want both Ball and Russell. Most importantly, they really needed to get Mozgov's salary off the books. They now have 3 picks in the first round and, if they want to, will have cap room for two big signings next year. I'd say the first big move of the Magic/Pelinka era was a decent one.

Of course, what I really wanted them to do was trade the second pick and one of their key pieces for Porzingis, figuring Ball (LaVar, not his kid) would be a great fit for New York.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2017 12:16 AM by Brookes Owl.)
06-21-2017 12:14 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(06-21-2017 12:14 AM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(06-21-2017 12:07 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  And the Lakers are making crazy move of their own.

Doesn't really seem that crazy to me. Russell is a nice player but he's not going to be great. And if they know they're going to draft Ball (which I think is the case) they probably don't want both Ball and Russell. Most importantly, they really needed to get Mozgov's salary off the books. They now have 3 picks in the first round and, if they want to, will have cap room for two big signings next year. I'd say the first big move of the Magic/Pelinka era was a decent one.

Of course, what I really wanted them to do was trade the second pick and one of their key pieces for Porzingis, figuring Ball (LaVar, not his kid) would be a great fit for New York.

The Fakers are so desperate to be relevant again they will do anything.

The sad thing is, this whole looming "The Decision III" by LeBron looms over nearly every title contender or team that thinks they are one player away... meanwhile also placing the spectre of defeat over the Cavs.
06-21-2017 12:24 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
We'll have to see what happens with Paul George between now and Thursday night. It's fair to assume that the Lakers are offering some combination, or all, of Lopez, Clarkson, and the two late 1st-round picks for George. I doubt anyone will top that offer. Question is whether having the best offer is enough, or whether the Pacers will send George elsewhere just because they're ticked off at George trying to force them to send him to LA.

LeBron won't go to LA, but the Lakers will have enough cap room to get a good player or two after next season no matter what. They could go after Westbrook at some point, and/or maybe get Klay Thompson once the Warriors get to the point where their payroll is unsustainable even for a high-revenue team. Not enough for the Lakers to contend for a title but enough to keep themselves out of the lottery.
06-21-2017 01:24 AM

Lush Offline
que la fĂȘte continue

I Root For: bail bondsmen
the spurs are gonna trade up and get d'aaron fox and win multiple titles
06-21-2017 08:38 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(06-21-2017 12:24 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  The Fakers are so desperate to be relevant again they will do anything.

Look, I've lost a lot of love for my home town team over the Kobe era, so I'm loathe to defend them too much, but this is just a bizarre statement. Of COURSE they're desperate to be relevant again! Every team in the league should be.

And by "do anything" you're implying that this move is somehow ill advised. I think it's a gamble but it's not an unreasonable one. Russell was a #2 pick but his trajectory is not at all clear. He's got very good tools but he lacks maturity and an all star future is not at all predictable. The Lakers had two of the worst contracts in the league with Mozgov (3 yrs remaining at $16MM/yr) and Deng (3 yrs remaining at $18MM/yr), and the only way to make them go away is by packaging young talent. With one of them gone, they've got room for one max contract and one near-max contract. That still (probably -
see below) doesn't make them Finals contenders but it gets them back as a solid playoff team with future opportunities. Right now they're dead in the water.

WTF do you think they should do differently?

Quote:The sad thing is, this whole looming "The Decision III" by LeBron looms over nearly every title contender or team that thinks they are one player away... meanwhile also placing the spectre of defeat over the Cavs.

I agree with this, and feel kind of sad that the Lakers are going through this because they think they might have a shot at LeBron. I don't want LeBron in LA, and I don't like the way Magic et al are going to have to genuflect to even get him to listen to a pitch. But if they can figure out a way to get a good free agent (like Paul George), if Lonzo looks as good as we think he can be, then I guess there's a non-trivial chance James comes to LA but I think it's still pretty slim.
06-21-2017 01:07 PM
Wedge Offline

RE: 2017-18 NBA thread: off season
Kyrie Irving asks to be traded. Pass the popcorn...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20124...-cavaliers

Quote:Kyrie Irving is ready to end his run with the Cleveland Cavaliers, as league sources told ESPN that the guard has asked the team to trade him.

The request came last week and was made to Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert. Irving has expressed that he wants to play in a situation where he can be more of a focal point and that he no longer wants to play alongside LeBron James, sources said.

Among several possibilities discussed in Irving's meeting with the Cavaliers, the San Antonio Spurs were raised as a preferred destination, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Other teams Irving said he'd be willing to join were the New York Knicks, Miami Heat and Minnesota Timberwolves, league sources told ESPN. Irving also considered the Chicago Bulls before the club traded Jimmy Butler, league sources told ESPN's Ian Begley.
07-21-2017 04:26 PM

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(07-21-2017 04:26 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Kyrie Irving asks to be traded. Pass the popcorn...

Quote:Kyrie Irving is ready to end his run with the Cleveland Cavaliers, as league sources told ESPN that the guard has asked the team to trade him.

The request came last week and was made to Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert. Irving has expressed that he wants to play in a situation where he can be more of a focal point and that he no longer wants to play alongside LeBron James, sources said.

Among several possibilities discussed in Irving's meeting with the Cavaliers, the San Antonio Spurs were raised as a preferred destination, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Other teams Irving said he'd be willing to join were the New York Knicks, Miami Heat and Minnesota Timberwolves, league sources told ESPN. Irving also considered the Chicago Bulls before the club traded Jimmy Butler, league sources told ESPN's Ian Begley.

This will get Lakers fan pretty excited.
07-21-2017 05:06 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(07-21-2017 05:06 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(07-21-2017 04:26 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Kyrie Irving asks to be traded. Pass the popcorn...

This will get Lakers fan pretty excited.

Proof, that LeBron as GM and coach on the DL rubs other stars the wrong way. The Cavs are going to implode and when they do, the franchise won't be good for a long, long while.
07-21-2017 08:55 PM
Wedge Offline

I think it's LeBron's game with short-term contracts that rubs Kyrie the wrong way. Kyrie has 3 more seasons on his contract, while LeBron can walk after next season and gives many signs that he will, leaving Kyrie and everyone else on a longer deal holding the bag.

LeBron thought the short deals were a good idea because they give him leverage over the Cavs' idiot owner, but they don't look so good to teammates who don't have the same ability to leave quickly. Would Kyrie be demanding a trade if he could be a UFA after next season, at the same time as LeBron?
07-21-2017 09:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.