Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBA D league is now G league
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
G for Gatorade. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb...411841001/

" ...Players can enter the G League at 18, and the NBA said it plans to explore the idea of high school players going directly into the G League, though it still prefers the college route to the NBA. 
“As I said, when we now have 20 members of a 60-person two round draft coming directly from one year of college, I think from a training standpoint we really got to rethink this process,” Silver said."
06-20-2017 02:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: NBA D league is now G league
(06-20-2017 02:47 PM)bullet Wrote:  G for Gatorade. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb...411841001/

" ...Players can enter the G League at 18, and the NBA said it plans to explore the idea of high school players going directly into the G League, though it still prefers the college route to the NBA. 
“As I said, when we now have 20 members of a 60-person two round draft coming directly from one year of college, I think from a training standpoint we really got to rethink this process,” Silver said."

I don't really follow the D/G League. How does it work now? Where do the players come from? Are their rights owned by NBA teams? Is there an age limit now?
06-22-2017 03:30 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
They need to do it just like baseball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06-22-2017 03:44 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Yes 26 of 30 NBA teams have G League teams now. A 27th for 2018-19 was announced (Washington), and a 28th is also planned for that year, but the franchise rights not yet purchased (New Orleans - evaluating bids from 5 cities). Denver and Portland are the only ones without a team or concrete plans.

The NBA announced "2-way" contracts which allow teams to keep two more players (thus the Players Union grows 30 players or two team's worth without diluting the NBA), who can play up in the NBA or down in the G League. Along with assignments for young players (40% of the league has D League, now G League experience) which most teams use to get some rookies and 2nd year players some game time, it will become almost a full minor league.

The potential impact is on 18 year olds who can skip college and go straight to the league. This is the Brandon Jennings type cases. The NBA doesn't want these guys going overseas, where the training and conditions are ... dicey.

It's unlikely to have a much impact on college, but there are guys who now and again fall into this category, such as Jeremy Tyler, and Latavious Williams. Then again some "one and done" types may prefer to get paid (the D-League salary is bumping up to better compete with Europe and China) rather than college. It is possible we may get one or two players annually who are drafted after a year or two of G League without any college. If it gets much more than that it could dilute the college game, replacing UK as the one and done mecca.

But I don't think i will actually have a big impact on College, because unlike Baseball there is no HS player draft, and we are not likely to see one for at least a decade.

(Note the HBCU league would be competing with this)
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 04:21 PM by Stugray2.)
06-22-2017 04:11 PM
Advertisement

TardisCaptain Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Starfleet Acdmy
Gee Whiz
06-22-2017 04:17 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
The G League makes much more sense for talented high school players who are e one year and done types. Earn some money without being expected to attend classes or worry about NCAA violations.
06-22-2017 04:30 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(06-22-2017 04:30 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The G League makes much more sense for talented high school players who are e one year and done types. Earn some money without being expected to attend classes or worry about NCAA violations.

If it's about the money, you can get more money for playing at a big school, either from shady boosters or shady street agents or a mixture of both. You ain't buying Momma a house on a minor league salary ($19 or $26,000). And I'd expect the quality of life as an athlete on campus at a power program to be much nicer than the life of a minor league athlete.

EDIT: Oh, and one-and-dones already don't have to worry about NCAA violations. That's the school's problem.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 06:20 PM by johnbragg.)
06-22-2017 06:17 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
From a publicity standpoint, at least for the near future, more exposure playing college for Duke, Kentucky, UCLA etc than a year in the G League
06-22-2017 06:36 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
This officially ends my life long dream of joining the D league.
06-22-2017 09:21 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(06-22-2017 04:30 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The G League makes much more sense for talented high school players who are e one year and done types. Earn some money without being expected to attend classes or worry about NCAA violations.

Until now, the D League made no sense for a top high school prospect. But now there are options in which they can make a pretty good paycheck for that first year. Yet, none of them are taking that paycheck, opting instead to play a year in college. Clearly, the exposure of NCAA basketball vs the anonymity of the D (now G) league is worth a lot to them.
06-23-2017 09:34 AM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(06-22-2017 04:11 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  It's unlikely to have a much impact on college, but there are guys who now and again fall into this category, such as Jeremy Tyler, and Latavious Williams. Then again some "one and done" types may prefer to get paid (the D-League salary is bumping up to better compete with Europe and China) rather than college. It is possible we may get one or two players annually who are drafted after a year or two of G League without any college. If it gets much more than that it could dilute the college game, replacing UK as the one and done mecca.

I don't think you realize how high salaries are overseas. A decent American player can earn $200-300k a year, even in a backwater place like Lebanon.

And you don't have to be a great player to earn that much. One of the people who I know earned that type of salary was the 6th man (as a senior) at an A-10 school that didn't make the tournament.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2017 12:04 PM by Captain Bearcat.)
06-23-2017 10:05 AM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(06-22-2017 06:17 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

If it's about the money, you can get more money for playing at a big school, either from shady boosters or shady street agents or a mixture of both. You ain't buying Momma a house on a minor league salary ($19 or $26,000). And I'd expect the quality of life as an athlete on campus at a power program to be much nicer than the life of a minor league athlete.

EDIT: Oh, and one-and-dones already don't have to worry about NCAA violations. That's the school's problem.

Not really.....trust me I have been an athlete. It's pretty freaking stressful.

Let's compare the D leagues life to mine lol....So he is getting a steady paycheck and has the freedom to do whatever he wants to at the age of 18.

I have to wake up at 6am in the morning, go to my Engineering classes, dodge all the people who pretend to be your friends, go to mandatory study halls, go to team meetings, go to practice, go to the gym, eat super late, and repeat for however long you are in college. Then your weekends during season are pretty much dedicated to traveling for the games.

Oh and this does not include all of the other mandatory events athletes have to attend like award ceremonies, academic counseling, and highly suggested team bonding activities. Or how the athletic department is all in your business about what you do on Saturday night or what the girls name was you were talking to.

Some of you paint it as if athletes are just blessed to be in the presence of a campus because they are getting a scholarship. I'm glad I did, I got 4 free years of school and I only played for two. But the reason many of the players want to get paid is because it's extremely demanding.
06-23-2017 10:44 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(06-23-2017 10:44 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

Let's compare the D leagues life to mine lol....So he is getting a steady paycheck and has the freedom to do whatever he wants to at the age of 18.

I have to wake up at 6am in the morning, go to my Engineering classes, dodge all the people who pretend to be your friends, go to mandatory study halls, go to team meetings, go to practice, go to the gym, eat super late, and repeat for however long you are in college. Then your weekends during season are pretty much dedicated to traveling for the games.

Oh and this does not include all of the other mandatory events athletes have to attend like award ceremonies, academic counseling, and highly suggested team bonding activities. Or how the athletic department is all in your business about what you do on Saturday night or what the girls name was you were talking to.

Some of you paint it as if athletes are just blessed to be in the presence of a campus because they are getting a scholarship. I'm glad I did, I got 4 free years of school and I only played for two. But the reason many of the players want to get paid is because it's extremely demanding.

Very good points, it's not all Johnny Football dressed as Scooby-Doo with chicks hanging off you. (But it is SOME of that.) It sounds like you graduated with an Engineering degree--are you comparing life as a college athlete to your post-college, decent-salaried lifestyle--or are you comparing it to minor league life, which would have just as much travel, practice and gym time but you're living on $20,000?

I'm talking specifically about the elite basketball recruits who are mulling over a couple of offers from power programs where he plans to stay a year before the NBA draft, and an offer of a G-League contract. He's not going to many classes.

EDIT: As for the social life, I'd expect picking up girls as a star player on the UT Longhorns is an easier road than doing so as a member of the Austin Spurs.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2017 11:18 AM by johnbragg.)
06-23-2017 11:14 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(06-23-2017 10:44 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

Good friend of mine used to coach college baseball until he got married and wanted to make a living without being gone all the time. He's got an 11 year old who "might" end up being a special player. We were talking about pro ball over lunch and the high draft picks and low draft picks. He said if his kid gets good enough to be drafted he will tell him to sign. His argument was you go late in the draft all you get is a bus ticket and a hat but you spend your time playing baseball and learning baseball and you are guaranteed to have your college paid for when you get cut. You've spent a few years sharing a crappy apartment, get a lot of your meals paid for.

Then if you don't make it go to college where you will have a better scholarship than most of the guys on the baseball team and can concentrate on school or if you want to stay in baseball, go find the coach and tell him how far you made it in the pros and tell him you want to be a volunteer coach. Get your degree and now you have pro experience and college coaching experience when you start job hunting.
06-23-2017 01:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.