Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coal mine opens-PA is winning!
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Coal mine opens-PA is winning!
http://nypost.com/2017/06/17/dont-be-so-...nitiative/

For the first time in nearly a decade, a new coal mine has opened here, and a US president has rallied alongside an industry deemed by many as obsolete.
The Acosta Deep Mine in Somerset County marks a dramatic upturn for the area. And while President Trump cannot claim that he brought the industry back here personally (this new mine was already being developed before the election), he is an effective cheerleader for folks who’ve been discounted by the political elite.
“We will begin by employing 70 to 100 miners and we hope to open a total of three new mines in the next 18 months — and that will mean additional hiring,” said George Dethlefsen, CEO of Corsa Coal, which owns the mine.
More than 400 people applied for the first wave of jobs that will pay from $50,000 to $100,000, Dethlefsen said.
In a region where the median household income is $29,050, and nearly 12 percent of the population lives below the poverty line, the economic injection is huge.
06-19-2017 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
RE: Coal mine opens-PA is winning!
The dem map is shrinking

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
06-19-2017 07:46 PM
wahoowa Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators
Do you think that Obama wakes up in a fever dream every night wondering which part of his pen and phone policy will be rolled back tomorrow? I do.

I don't wonder about Hillary's dreams, that would scare me if I delved into that fetid hole.
06-19-2017 07:53 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(06-19-2017 07:42 PM)bullet Wrote:  http://nypost.com/2017/06/17/dont-be-so-...nitiative/

For the first time in nearly a decade, a new coal mine has opened here, and a US president has rallied alongside an industry deemed by many as obsolete.
The Acosta Deep Mine in Somerset County marks a dramatic upturn for the area. And while President Trump cannot claim that he brought the industry back here personally (this new mine was already being developed before the election), he is an effective cheerleader for folks who’ve been discounted by the political elite.
“We will begin by employing 70 to 100 miners and we hope to open a total of three new mines in the next 18 months — and that will mean additional hiring,” said George Dethlefsen, CEO of Corsa Coal, which owns the mine.
More than 400 people applied for the first wave of jobs that will pay from $50,000 to $100,000, Dethlefsen said.
In a region where the median household income is $29,050, and nearly 12 percent of the population lives below the poverty line, the economic injection is huge.

Seriously wonderful news. Look at those numbers, understand what relieving some, even a smidgen (har), of that misery can do. And do it in spades. 100 grand for one job in a place folks are making a third of that? Just think what this will mean to the car mechanic, diner owner and employees, local schools, fire and cops.

400 jobs? That's a YUGE infusion of capital into all sorts of areas. Folks can get their houses fixed up, that'll help a lot too.
06-20-2017 12:23 AM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
The entire coal industry employees 80,000 people, failing JC Penny employees 110,000 people. Let's not pretend coal is coming back or it is somehow going to revitalize the US economy. Natural gas crippled coal and now renewables are coming in to pick off the rest. We need to be investing in the future not the past.
06-20-2017 01:10 AM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(06-20-2017 01:10 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  The entire coal industry employees 80,000 people, failing JC Penny employees 110,000 people. Let's not pretend coal is coming back or it is somehow going to revitalize the US economy. Natural gas crippled coal and now renewables are coming in to pick off the rest. We need to be investing in the future not the past.

Who ever suggested such a thing?

You ever spent much if any time in the areas of Va., WVa., Ky., NC etc? Coal mining towns? I have, a lot. Those entire areas are hurting, hard, and no amount of community college re-training programs are going to help much. They need jobs. And a way they actually make money. Not just just siphon off Boshephus' check to pay to Darryl.

They gotta PRODUCE something. Not get a job as a nurses assistant, when no one can pay the nursing bill. Stuffs.

This may not be a long term answer, and no doubt it isn't any more than the buggy-whip was, but until something better comes along (it won't be hi-tech RAM chips), these are very good, hard working, honest jobs that can sustain and raise a family.

And who is this "we"?!? Are you investing in "renewables"? If so, such as what? Sun power? Big asss fans? Batteries?!?

Show me where any (or ALL) of those can replace fossil "read... naturally occurring dinosaur" fuels can replace them and I'm all in.

Thus far I'll go with what we got and a massive expansion of nukes to help out. What's your counter?
06-20-2017 01:48 AM
Advertisement

Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
Low Costs of Solar Power & Wind Power Crush Coal, Crush Nuclear, & Beat Natural Gas

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/25/cos...tural-gas/
06-20-2017 08:00 AM
tennis2k4 Offline
Master Mason

I Root For: memphis
(06-20-2017 12:23 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(06-19-2017 07:42 PM)bullet Wrote:  http://nypost.com/2017/06/17/dont-be-so-...nitiative/

Seriously wonderful news. Look at those numbers, understand what relieving some, even a smidgen (har), of that misery can do. And do it in spades. 100 grand for one job in a place folks are making a third of that? Just think what this will mean to the car mechanic, diner owner and employees, local schools, fire and cops.

400 jobs? That's a YUGE infusion of capital into all sorts of areas. Folks can get their houses fixed up, that'll help a lot too.
Your reading comprehension isn't that great 400 people applied for the 70 to 100 jobs.
06-20-2017 08:29 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(06-20-2017 01:48 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(06-20-2017 01:10 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  The entire coal industry employees 80,000 people, failing JC Penny employees 110,000 people. Let's not pretend coal is coming back or it is somehow going to revitalize the US economy. Natural gas crippled coal and now renewables are coming in to pick off the rest. We need to be investing in the future not the past.

Who ever suggested such a thing?

You ever spent much if any time in the areas of Va., WVa., Ky., NC etc? Coal mining towns? I have, a lot. Those entire areas are hurting, hard, and no amount of community college re-training programs are going to help much. They need jobs. And a way they actually make money. Not just just siphon off Boshephus' check to pay to Darryl.

They gotta PRODUCE something. Not get a job as a nurses assistant, when no one can pay the nursing bill. Stuffs.

This may not be a long term answer, and no doubt it isn't any more than the buggy-whip was, but until something better comes along (it won't be hi-tech RAM chips), these are very good, hard working, honest jobs that can sustain and raise a family.

And who is this "we"?!? Are you investing in "renewables"? If so, such as what? Sun power? Big asss fans? Batteries?!?

Show me where any (or ALL) of those can replace fossil "read... naturally occurring dinosaur" fuels can replace them and I'm all in.

Thus far I'll go with what we got and a massive expansion of nukes to help out. What's your counter?

Hillary's "retrain" proposal was very much "Let them eat cake." There's just nothing to replace these types of jobs. Thinking otherwise is simply ignorant.
06-20-2017 08:38 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(06-20-2017 08:00 AM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  Low Costs of Solar Power & Wind Power Crush Coal, Crush Nuclear, & Beat Natural Gas

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/25/cos...tural-gas/

Thats a joke, right?
06-20-2017 08:38 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
I've heard that wind turbines dont even pay themselves and use a whole lot more coal than their counterparts.
06-20-2017 08:41 AM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
The GOP literally celebrating an 18th century fuel. Man if we can only get back those buggy whip manufacturers too! #winning

You either evolve or die. Getting back 400 coal jobs (temporarily)is not something to celebrate.
06-20-2017 08:48 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
I've heard that wind turbines dont even pay themselves and use a whole lot more coal than their counterparts

Please source this. I have to find out where you are getting such nonsense.
06-20-2017 08:49 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(06-20-2017 08:49 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I've heard that wind turbines dont even pay themselves and use a whole lot more coal than their counterparts

Please source this. I have to find out where you are getting such nonsense.

What part do you want sourced? The fact that they dont pay for themselves?

I tell you what, go and have a wind generator installed at your house, and report back when it has generated enough power to have offset its entire cost plus installation.
06-20-2017 08:55 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Thanks Obama!
06-20-2017 09:12 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(06-20-2017 08:48 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  The GOP literally celebrating an 18th century fuel. Man if we can only get back those buggy whip manufacturers too! #winning

You either evolve or die. Getting back 400 coal jobs (temporarily)is not something to celebrate.

And the left is pushing streetcars all over the country, an 1800s transportation option that was replaced because it wasn't much better than walking.
06-20-2017 09:13 AM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-20-2017 12:23 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
Quote:More than 400 people applied for the first wave of jobs that will pay from $50,000 to $100,000, Dethlefsen said.
In a region where the median household income is $29,050, and nearly 12 percent of the population lives below the poverty line, the economic injection is huge.[/i]

Ask North Dakota.. when they had their oil boom in recent history, the average income of EVERYONE went up. (of course, prices went up as well to match the income increase, but that's to be expected).

Who knew a rising tide lifts all the boats?
06-20-2017 09:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-20-2017 08:29 AM)tennis2k4 Wrote:  Your reading comprehension isn't that great 400 people applied for the 70 to 100 jobs.

that's 70 to 100 jobs for 1 coal mine tennis...(granted, I dont' know how many are going to be opened up), but I'd say 100 jobs for one location can't be a bad thing.
06-20-2017 09:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tennis2k4 Offline
Master Mason

(06-20-2017 09:30 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(06-20-2017 08:29 AM)tennis2k4 Wrote:  Your reading comprehension isn't that great 400 people applied for the 70 to 100 jobs.

that's 70 to 100 jobs for 1 coal mine tennis...(granted, I dont' know how many are going to be opened up), but I'd say 100 jobs for one location can't be a bad thing.

"we hope to open a total of three new mines in the next 18 months"

It was in the original post so even if all three open up that's 300 at the most optimistic.
06-20-2017 09:35 AM
tennis2k4 Offline
Master Mason

(06-20-2017 09:30 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  

Was never saying it was a bad thing was just correcting the guy that read it as 400 jobs not 400 applying for them.
06-20-2017 09:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.