Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Eric Conn escapes house arrest - largest SSI scam in history
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Eric Conn escapes house arrest - largest SSI scam in history
Surprised I haven't heard about this story before. It was all over the news on the radio stations today as I was driving thru Louisville on my way to a business meeting. Looks like he skipped out about a week ago, but I guess he's sending messages into news organizations taunting them. Amazing and weird story.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017...s-family-/

Quote:The fugitive lawyer who led the largest Social Security fraud ring in history is still in the country and is likely being aided by family and friends who are helping him lay low, the FBI said in its latest update of the bizarre case.

Eric C. Conn, who pleaded guilty in March to his part in the $550 million fraud, cut his ankle bracelet and disappeared in Kentucky on June 2, just days before he was slated to testify against one of his co-conspirators.

A person claiming to be Conn has since sent letters to The Washington Times and several local news outlets in Kentucky and West Virginia, describing his escape and his reasons for going on the lam, and chiding authorities for trying to sniff out his location.

The FBI on Thursday searched Conn's old law office in Kentucky, his mother’s home and his car looking for evidence to help track him down, and Amy Hess, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Louisville office, said she expects to name those who are helping Conn this week.

“Charges against additional co-conspirators including family members and associates of Eric Conn will likely follow,” she said.
06-19-2017 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Eric Conn escapes house arrest - largest SSI scam in history
Yeah he should have been in jail. He was awaiting sentencing, and even told people he would flee.
06-19-2017 04:16 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
How much bail did he have to put up?
06-19-2017 04:22 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
let's just say that out of the ~10M he recieved from the 56M that was doled out????

buh-bye fat boy.....that's cash that's been stashed for some time now (assuming he had a clue)

at some point, that boy will only wish he was this chubbo.....

[Image: g3tyiilchqgeedfnflfx.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2017 04:27 PM by stinkfist.)
06-19-2017 04:26 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(06-19-2017 04:22 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  How much bail did he have to put up?

A federal judge ordered Eric C. Conn released from jail on a $1.25 million bond, secured by his palatial eastern Kentucky home.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut...story.html
06-19-2017 04:32 PM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
For those that don't know the backstory, this was an eastern KY good ole boy attorney who would guarantee you would get your SSI disability benefits. He could guarantee this because his office staff filled out the medical reports and he was paying off the SS Judge in the Huntington office. All you had to do was kick him back a portion of your monthly benefits.

The judge in Huntington granted just over 99% of the appeals that appeared before him, and 100% of the ones that were represented by Conn. I believe the national average is around 60%.
06-19-2017 08:34 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(06-19-2017 08:34 PM)banker Wrote:  For those that don't know the backstory, this was an eastern KY good ole boy attorney who would guarantee you would get your SSI disability benefits. He could guarantee this because his office staff filled out the medical reports and he was paying off the SS Judge in the Huntington office. All you had to do was kick him back a portion of your monthly benefits.

The judge in Huntington granted just over 99% of the appeals that appeared before him, and 100% of the ones that were represented by Conn. I believe the national average is around 60%.
Why does the judge walk?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
06-19-2017 08:46 PM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
06-19-2017 09:14 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(06-19-2017 04:32 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(06-19-2017 04:22 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  How much bail did he have to put up?

A federal judge ordered Eric C. Conn released from jail on a $1.25 million bond, secured by his palatial eastern Kentucky home.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut...story.html

Fed bail guidelines usually state that if property is put up, then the property must be worth somewhere between 3x and 5x the bail amount. I guess it could be worth that or more.
06-19-2017 11:18 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
How did he have a home to put up....

usually the feds take everything you have in your name in cases like this. Then they make you prove you got those things with honest money. Bank account, cash, homes, everything in the home, cars, are confiscated when you are arrested.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2017 01:42 AM by WKUYG.)
06-20-2017 01:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.