Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Otto Warmbier, American student detained in North Korea for 17 months, dies
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Otto Warmbier, American student detained in North Korea for 17 months, dies
http://abcnews.go.com/US/otto-warmbier-a...d=48140700

Otto Warmbier, the American student who was imprisoned in North Korea for more than 17 months and was returned home to Ohio last week, has died, his family said Monday.

"It is our sad duty to report that our son, Otto Warmbier, has completed his journey home," his family said in part in a statement. "Surrounded by his loving family, Otto died today at 2:20 p.m."
06-19-2017 03:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
RE: Otto Warmbier, American student detained in North Korea for 17 months, dies
Why was he in NK in the first place?

There is a lot of this story missing at the current time.
06-19-2017 03:58 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I find the wording they use for what killed him to be very interesting.

Suffering from injuries related to "insert medical terminology" seems to be purposefully evasive.
06-19-2017 04:00 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(06-19-2017 03:58 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  Why was he in NK in the first place?

He was there on a tour and apparently tried to take down a picture of the Dear Nutjob.
06-19-2017 04:01 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis

I thought it was stupid for him to be there as well, but apparently there are some companies over there that setup trips into NK as if you were traveling to Hong Kong, and basically misleading people about how dangerous it is.
06-19-2017 04:02 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(06-19-2017 04:02 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

I thought it was stupid for him to be there as well, but apparently there are some companies over there that setup trips into NK as if you were traveling to Hong Kong, and basically misleading people about how dangerous it is.

That is where he was doing a semester of study I believe, when a group of students decided to visit NK.
06-19-2017 04:05 PM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

nope, they stress to you that you are being watched and listened to at all times
06-19-2017 04:05 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(06-19-2017 04:05 PM)fsquid Wrote:  

nope, they stress to you that you are being watched and listened to at all times

Sounds like they assume NK is run by the Obama intelligence agencies.
06-19-2017 04:07 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(06-19-2017 04:07 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(06-19-2017 04:05 PM)fsquid Wrote:  

Sounds like they assume NK is run by the Obama intelligence agencies.

When it is more like the Clinton foundation.
06-19-2017 04:17 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Very sad. RIP

PS What North Korea did was atrocious. Of course, they are known for atrocities. That's why the State Department warns Americans not to travel there. Otto would be alive had he heeded that warning. He had no business being in that country. What a waste.
06-19-2017 05:34 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
Very sad that he died, but... I would be a hypocrite if I didn't say that he shouldn't have put himself in that situation. He should have followed the damn laws, and this would have been avoided.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2017 05:45 PM by UTSAMarineVet09.)
06-19-2017 05:44 PM
Advertisement

usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Time for somebody to take out little fat boy.
06-19-2017 05:48 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(06-19-2017 05:48 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  Time for somebody to take out little fat boy.

Funny you should say that.....

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06/19/...eport.html

Quote:Kim Jong Un lives in fear of assassination by western 'decapitation' team, says report

North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un is reportedly so terrified of being targeted for assassination that he travels incognito inside the Hermit Kingdom, and there’s growing evidence his paranoia may be well-founded.

The 33-year-old, third-generation ruler is “extremely nervous” about a clandestine plot to take him out, according to a key South Korean lawmaker who spoke to The Korea Herald. Rep. Lee Cheol-woo, chairman of the South Korean parliament's intelligence committee, made the claim based on reports from South Korea's intelligence agency.

“Kim is engrossed with collecting information about the ‘decapitation operation’ through his intelligence agencies,” Lee said following a briefing last week.

The rumored “decapitation plan” to target Kim and key deputies in the event fighting broke out on the peninsula first surfaced in late 2015, when the U.S. and South Korea signed “Operation Plan 5015,” a joint strategy for possible war scenarios with North Korea. According to the Brookings Institute, the plan "envisions limited warfare with an emphasis on preemptive strikes on strategic targets in North Korea and “decapitation raids” to exterminate North Korean leaders."

Quote:By January of this year, there were reports that South Korea was speeding up the creation of a specialized unit designed for this mission, initially slated to be ready by 2019.

During this year's Foal Eagle and Key Resolve exercises with South Korea, one of the largest annual military exercises in the world, members of U.S. Navy SEAL teams reportedly participated in decapitation drills with our South Korean counterparts for the first time. Naval officials denied reports that members of SEAL Team 6, the group that took out Usama Bin Laden, took part.

Shortly after those war games, however, the USS Michigan, a submarine that is sometimes used to move U.S. Special Forces, took a position just off of North Korea’s coast.
06-19-2017 06:06 PM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
Y'all know he was being paid to do this right? He didn't just decide to tour NK and steal their propaganda. He was in a desperate financial situation and was approached by a woman from his church. She offered to send him to NK to steal a piece of propaganda so they could hang it at their church. He was to be paid in the form of a $10,000 car if he was successful and if he was detained he would still get the 10k but also a 200k donation would be made to a charity in his mom's name. Needless to say the church is not commenting on the situation.
06-19-2017 06:25 PM
wahoowa Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators
(06-19-2017 05:44 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  Very sad that he died, but... I would be a hypocrite if I didn't say that he shouldn't have put himself in that situation. He should have followed the damn laws, and this would have been avoided.

There is no coincidence in the fact that he was arrested for anti NK crimes two weeks after the UN passed new sanctions against this disgusting regime. The film that purports to show him stealing is laughable. That could have been me, my father, or a nephew. It showed nothing.

This was a kidnapping / murder by a cold-blooded tyrant of a kid that was naive enough to step foot in that country. I wish all levels of hell on those in the government there.

And FFS, don't go there or let your kids go there.
06-19-2017 06:37 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
While any one who is going to NK is taking an extreme risk doing so as a tourist is relativity safe IF you follow the NK rules. Stealing gov't material from a totalitarian dictatorship after you have been warned you are being monitored 24/7 is foolish. However the kid should not have had to pay with his life

I have no idea if we will ever learn what really happened to Warmbier while I'm NK. They very may well have harmed him but that would not be the norm for American tourists being held in NK
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2017 07:12 PM by solohawks.)
06-19-2017 07:05 PM
Advertisement

Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly

Why do parents send their kids halfway around the world into countries ruled by evil despots? Why do parents send their teenagers to Aruba to do drugs and have sex with random foreigners? The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind..
06-20-2017 08:10 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Kids are stupid. Its why you have to be 35 to be president. People learn. And younger people are impulsive and think they are indestructible. Scary part about being a parent. You know they will make bad decisions at that age. You have to instill enough judgement that they don't do anything to dangerous, too often. And stealing a simple sign really isn't that dangerous in most cases.
06-20-2017 08:35 AM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(06-20-2017 08:35 AM)bullet Wrote:  Kids are stupid. Its why you have to be 35 to be president. People learn. And younger people are impulsive and think they are indestructible. Scary part about being a parent. You know they will make bad decisions at that age. You have to instill enough judgement that they don't do anything to dangerous, too often. And stealing a simple sign really isn't that dangerous in most cases.

Exactly.

I do truly hope the parents are able to find out what happened to the young man while in NK.

This is the first American to come back from NK after being held in terrible/life threatening condition that I can recall and it may be a tipping point to help further put an end to our policy of strategic patience.
06-20-2017 09:02 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I'm wondering if this kid didn't try to take his own life when in prison.
06-20-2017 09:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.