Intriguing SBC Games of 2017
Bookmark and Share
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
Intriguing SBC Games of 2017
Started this on astate message board figured it'd be a fun topic over here

-Appalachian State @ Idaho (Oct. 14)
Once again, the 'Neers have the seemingly easiest path to the belt title & for the time being it would seem the trek to Moscow might be their "toughest" conference road game on the year. The Vandals surprised everyone last year and with this season being their Swan song before leaving for the Big Sky Conference, can they pull off a huge kibbie dome defeat?
-Coastal @ ULM (September 20)
This will be the youngbloods first conference game & it could very well be their first conference victory at well. However I still think warhawk brass made a smart hire in Matt Viator and expect him to have Monroe much more competitive soon (if not this season)
-Arkansas State @ Georgia Southern (Oct. 4)
After the meltdown Eagles suffered on national tv against the Red Wolves last season, there can be little doubt the Georgia boys will want another shot at Astate once again on ESPN2. What will more than likely be another 1-3 (maybe 2-2) start for Astate, getting conference play started off right by beating Southern is a must.
-Memphis @ Georgia State (Sept. 30)
While the Panthers will already have played their inaugural home opener against Tennessee State 3 weeks prior, I think their second home game against our old foes across the river will really be interesting to see not only how the Panthers stack up but what kind of local response they can drum up with their new digs at Turner Field.
Troy @ Boise State (Sept. 2)
There has already been quite a bit of preseason hype involving this match up and on paper it would appear to be quite a possible shoot out. If the Trojans can score the upset victory against the G5 darlings it'd obviously be an impressive notch in the belt for the Belt.
Sunbelt vs G5 Opponents
Whenever we battle against fellow G5 programs I'm always intirguied, hoping we can represent well and no doubt we have some very tantalizing G5 OOC match ups in '17:
-Astate @ SMU
-CCU @ UAB
-UTSA @ Texas State
-South Al @ Louisiana tech
-La La @ Tulsa
06-18-2017 10:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Intriguing SBC Games of 2017
You're marking SMU as a loss? Why?

We need you guys to beat the mess out of them and not allow an upper-level SBC team lose to a lower-level AAC team.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2017 10:43 AM by EigenEagle.)
06-18-2017 10:42 AM
troutbummike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
Wake Forest @ Appalachian State will likely be hyped greater than the Miami game thanks to the distance between our programs. I also think app edges a win in that game.
06-18-2017 10:44 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

(06-18-2017 10:42 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  You're marking SMU as a loss? Why?

We need you guys to beat the mess out of them and not allow an upper-level SBC team lose to a lower-level AAC team.

I dont think it's out of the realm of possibility to knock off SMU in Dallas I just think with the Mustangs not only getting Chad Morris to stick around but I think ponies are bringing enough back where I think they can be an X factor in the American (not to mention we flat out suck on the road in OOC)

I absolutely think Demon Deacons better bring their A+ game to Boone (least we forget the last time they played a home and home with a Funbelt team they were swept by ULM!)
06-18-2017 10:53 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(06-18-2017 10:33 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Started this on astate message board figured it'd be a fun topic over here

You're not at all intrigued by Troy at Arkansas State? Don't let last year's score fool you, there's a very high possibility of it being the defacto co-championship game.
06-18-2017 11:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

Oh no doubt! I always enjoy the Troy/astate match up (even if with the exceptions of a few games they've often times been one sided beat downs from both squads) I was just trying to get some parity in my selections

Now I think about it throw the battle of the belt game in there! While the rivalry is young it's been super fun to watch, the trophy is AWESOME and definitely makes me wish astate had a rivalry trophy series in conference play
06-18-2017 11:40 AM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(06-18-2017 11:40 AM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  Oh no doubt! I always enjoy the Troy/astate match up (even if with the exceptions of a few games they've often times been one sided beat downs from both squads) I was just trying to get some parity in my selections

Now I think about it throw the battle of the belt game in there! While the rivalry is young it's been super fun to watch, the trophy is AWESOME and definitely makes me wish astate had a rivalry trophy series in conference play

That's fair. Much respect for your squad. Hopefully we'll make it closer game or more this time around.
06-18-2017 11:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VandalBasher Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Vandals
I believe the game against UNLV sets the tone for Idaho. The MWC are peer institutions academically and regionally. If we win this game, go back to the Potato Bowl and beat another MWC team...I can dream, can't I?
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2017 12:27 AM by VandalBasher.)
06-19-2017 12:25 AM
eaglewraith Online
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(06-18-2017 10:44 AM)troutbummike Wrote:  Wake Forest @ Appalachian State will likely be hyped greater than the Miami game thanks to the distance between our programs. I also think app edges a win in that game.

I don't think there's anything to edge.

Wake isn't good.

If App doesn't win it would be a travesty.
06-19-2017 06:14 AM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(06-19-2017 06:14 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  
(06-18-2017 10:44 AM)troutbummike Wrote:  Wake Forest @ Appalachian State will likely be hyped greater than the Miami game thanks to the distance between our programs. I also think app edges a win in that game.

Wake isn't good.

They managed to be a slightly below average ACC team while other teams knew all their plays. They're now an ACC team and teams don't know their plays. I take nothing for granted against any P-5 team.
06-19-2017 08:15 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

Here's my list of must see games for each SBC school:

App St @ Idaho - If Idaho continues to be as good as last year this will be a game I want to see.

stAte @ GS - The Sun Belt opener for both teams will hopefully tell me a lot about how the season will go

UMass @ CCU - The first game for CCU as a FBS member vs an FBS member makes this must see TV

Memphis @ GSU - I'll be pulling for GSU to upset the P6 wannabes in this one

NMSU @ New Mexico - always an entertaining game and one that I have tired to catch each season since NMSU joined the Sun Belt.

USA @ Ole Miss - Can USA do it again and upset a weaker SEC team in the season opener? I think they can!

UTSA @ Texas St - I'll be willing to bet the Bobcats will be up for this one.

Troy @ Boise St - Sumf turf be dammed this should be the premier G5 matchup in week 1.

ULL @ ULM - I have a feeling that ULM will surprise many teams this season and they are due a W vs ULL so this game should be a good one.
06-19-2017 09:36 AM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(06-19-2017 09:36 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Troy @ Boise St - Sumf turf be dammed this should be the premier G5 matchup in week 1.

As I posted in another thread... One interesting note for Troy at Boise in Game 1 ...

1. Troy (98.7%) - Yards Gained on Offense Returning
122. Boise State (40.2%) - Tackles Made on Defense Returning

05-mafia 05-mafia 05-mafia

I think we have a real chance here to make this a game and possible steal a "W".
06-19-2017 10:02 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(06-19-2017 09:36 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Here's my list of must see games for each SBC school:

App St @ Idaho - If Idaho continues to be as good as last year this will be a game I want to see.

stAte @ GS - The Sun Belt opener for both teams will hopefully tell me a lot about how the season will go

UMass @ CCU - The first game for CCU as a FBS member vs an FBS member makes this must see TV

Memphis @ GSU - I'll be pulling for GSU to upset the P6 wannabes in this one

NMSU @ New Mexico - always an entertaining game and one that I have tired to catch each season since NMSU joined the Sun Belt.

USA @ Ole Miss - Can USA do it again and upset a weaker SEC team in the season opener? I think they can!

UTSA @ Texas St - I'll be willing to bet the Bobcats will be up for this one.

Troy @ Boise St - Sumf turf be dammed this should be the premier G5 matchup in week 1.

ULL @ ULM - I have a feeling that ULM will surprise many teams this season and they are due a W vs ULL so this game should be a good one.

I certainly hope so.... We could lose to every other team on our schedule but if we beat UTSA then I'd be okay with it. Not happy but at least we'd have beaten those things.
06-19-2017 01:07 PM
Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CCU
What are the 10 games we(sun belt) need to win to move up among the G5
06-19-2017 02:03 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

(06-19-2017 02:03 PM)Tealblood Wrote:  What are the 10 games we(sun belt) need to win to move up among the G5

A win against any G5 team we play will help us win more money at the end of the season.

If you are talking about prestige then Beat as many P5 teams as possible followed by going 50% or better in these 10 games:
stAte vs SMU
GSU vs Memphis
Idaho vs UNLV + Idaho vs W Mich
NMSU vs New Mexico
USA vs LA Tech
Troy vs Boise St
ULL vs Tulsa
ULM vs Memphis + ULM vs So Miss
06-19-2017 02:27 PM
BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State

Wake isn't good.

They were 7-6 last year in the tougher side of the ACC with a bowl win over a ranked Temple team. Not bad by any means.
06-19-2017 08:01 PM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(06-19-2017 08:01 PM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  

Wake isn't good.

They were 7-6 last year in the tougher side of the ACC with a bowl win over a ranked Temple team. Not bad by any means.

smu and wake will both be tough for the apps but both are lower rung p5's so I think they are both winable games. not like they are going up against lsu or ohio state..
06-20-2017 07:07 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(06-20-2017 07:07 AM)runamuck Wrote:  

Wake isn't good.

smu and wake will both be tough for the apps but both are lower rung p5's so I think they are both winable games. not like they are going up against lsu or ohio state..

Was this meant to be a joke? Only Wake is a P5. Don't play into the delusions of grandeur.
06-20-2017 07:09 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES

I think App crushes them. Just a gut feeling. (jinx)
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2017 07:45 AM by JCGSU.)
06-20-2017 07:45 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(06-20-2017 07:07 AM)runamuck Wrote:  

Wake isn't good.

You mean P6? 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
06-20-2017 08:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.