Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Expansion to make P6 push
CRBPI8 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU & AAC
I don't post on here much but I'm on here almost everyday reading. Sorry for starting a new thread for this because I feel this topic is like beating a dead horse. Aresco should really push for trying to get Boise, BYU, Airforce and either CSU or SDSU to join the American. You would kill the main competition for American and have a huge footprint and foundation to build off. In my opinion it would at least garner 7-9mil a team instead of the 4-6 most think we will get. You can strengthen Football and Basketball.

EAST:
USF
UCF
UConn
Temple
Navy (Football Only)
ECU
Cincy
Tulane
VCU (Basketball Only)

WEST:
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Memphis
Air Force (Football Only)
CSU (best choice in my opinion)
Boise
BYU
Wichita State (Basketball Only)

I know some of you like the idea of Army joining but I think they serve their purpose already by playing the Navy game every year and don't add much to the conference besides that 1 game. No offense to Army. I have much respect for them and the program.

I think if Aresco can convince this to the other programs, mainly Boise and BYU, you would have a true P6.

ESPN or whomever would save money not paying out a bigger contract to the MWC because it would be another CUSA type conference. They could reinvest in the new American and get us paid what we should be getting paid. BYU is tricky because I think they already get 5-7 mil a year from ESPN (don't quote me on that).

Thoughts?
06-11-2017 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
[Image: raining_david_tennant.gif]

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
06-11-2017 10:42 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: AAC Expansion to make P6 push
I'd take it.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2017 10:50 AM by Bearcats#1.)
06-11-2017 10:50 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
Great idea, but no benefit to ESPn. They already save with all the mentioned teams. As you know the aggregate is more valuable than the separate parts.
06-11-2017 11:00 AM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
If the AAC is going to expand westward. Then Colorado state and New Mexico should be the first choices.
06-11-2017 11:39 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(06-11-2017 11:39 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  If the AAC is going to expand westward. Then Colorado state and New Mexico should be the first choices.

i disagree..new mexico isnt even in the conversation..

csu is but not by a great deal...

this is an athletic conference first and foremost and neither are regularly good in football..csu isnt even good in bball

neither bring good recruiting ground...new mexico doesnt even have a market..the houston metro has 3x more people than new mexico the state..

i like sdsu a lot more... they have recruiting grounds to drastically grow in football, they have a mega market who just lost its pro team...they are a power in basketball, they are technically already part of the aac (affiliate members)...the stadium is an issue but they have the desire and money to build one they just dont have land
06-11-2017 12:03 PM
Advertisement

fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
(06-11-2017 12:03 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(06-11-2017 11:39 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  If the AAC is going to expand westward. Then Colorado state and New Mexico should be the first choices.

this is an athletic conference first and foremost and neither are regularly good in football..csu isnt even good in bball

neither bring good recruiting ground...new mexico doesnt even have a market..the houston metro has 3x more people than new mexico the state..

i like sdsu a lot more... they have recruiting grounds to drastically grow in football, they have a mega market who just lost its pro team...they are a power in basketball, they are technically already part of the aac (affiliate members)...the stadium is an issue but they have the desire and money to build one they just dont have land

Pesik, I am impressed. The bolded portion shows you are more than passively paying attention. SDSU just needs the land, and it is done. A few more dominoes need to fall, but a major one will likely fall on June 12th and June 19th, when the City Council refuses to authorized a special election. Supposedly (per Sucker City's own propaganda), this kills the MLS deal. SDSU has already offered to buy the plot outright, or would be a part of the RFP process, where SDSU would expect to get at least 35 acres.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2017 12:34 PM by fanhood.)
06-11-2017 12:27 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

Save us AAC

06-11-2017 12:37 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Can't watch Dr Who without thinking of NIU
06-11-2017 02:27 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(06-11-2017 02:27 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Can't watch Dr Who without thinking of NIU
IT'S WORKING

06-11-2017 02:31 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(06-11-2017 12:37 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  Save us AAC

Maybe you could get in the AAC rotation for some buy games if you didn't charge too much.
06-11-2017 02:39 PM
Advertisement

isidnirb Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(06-11-2017 12:03 PM)pesik Wrote:  

Agree to all points but question why East Coast teams would favor all major FB adds be West Coast teams. Not much benefit to them.

And yes, there are no real solid choices to add in FB from the East Coast.
06-12-2017 08:11 AM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
(06-11-2017 10:36 AM)CRBPI8 Wrote:  WEST:
Air Force (Football Only)
CSU (best choice in my opinion)
Boise
BYU

I'm not sure how much TV value that all adds, but why would the American take those four western schools and only take Air Force football? Wouldn't we want travel partners for the olympic sports teams out there to reduce travel costs?

Plus, if any MW program is being considered, the American shouldn't bypass SDSU, they nearly stayed on in 2013 by themselves when Boise hung them out to dry.
06-12-2017 09:10 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(06-11-2017 11:00 AM)rosewater Wrote:  Great idea, but no benefit to ESPn. They already save with all the mentioned teams. As you know the aggregate is more valuable than the separate parts.

This doesn't make sense. ESPN doesn't have a vote. I think the OP's point is that it would be more beneficial to the conference, not to a third-party.
06-12-2017 09:30 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I think that everyone chasing the tv markets is barking up the wrong tree. C-USA took that approach and it didn't do them much good.

Yes, the bigger conferences add big tv markets by adding teams like Rutgers, but that is an afterthought. Look at the SEC. Many of the oldest members aren't in large markets.

My point is...

Step 1) be competitive
Step 2) add market share

If, as a conference, we had a 50%+ winning percentage against the P5 in football year over year, people would watch, and they could not keep us out of the conversation. Bottom line, add better teams first. That is why Boise or Louisiana Tech would be good pickups. They are consistently competitive.
06-12-2017 09:39 AM
HHOOTter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: tulsa
Jon Miller, Prez of NBC
& Mark Lazarus chairman of NBC Sports Group
have publicly stated several times
that they are interested in increasing their sport coverage content

Perhaps this is the network 4 Aresco
2 pitch this kind of “Alignment/Arrangement"
w/ a few top tier MWC schools combined w/ the AAC?

It’d give NBC more Saturday college f-ball coverage
2 go along w/ their Notre Dame TV home game contract
give NBC much need sports coverage
4 Friday/Saturday/evening content
& give AAC exclusive coverage on a major network
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2017 09:45 AM by HHOOTter.)
06-12-2017 09:44 AM
Advertisement

rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(06-12-2017 09:30 AM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  
(06-11-2017 11:00 AM)rosewater Wrote:  Great idea, but no benefit to ESPn. They already save with all the mentioned teams. As you know the aggregate is more valuable than the separate parts.

This doesn't make sense. ESPN doesn't have a vote. I think the OP's point is that it would be more beneficial to the conference, not to a third-party.

It is my belief that ESPN pulls the strings. For instance, when the Big East was negotiating with the network and they were going to go to the open market, Pitt and Syracuse got invitations to the ACC. This action decimated the value of the conference. At the end of the day, the networks are behind conference affiliation and they use it to suit their interests. Since Espn already has the aforementioned properties, they are not interested in paying more. And btw, they do have a vote. If you paid attention to last summers Big 12 expansion, you will notice that they continually spoke about taking suggestions to their tv partners.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2017 09:55 AM by rosewater.)
06-12-2017 09:52 AM
AGuyIn_Water Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
I'd go with NBC in a heart beat.

NBC doesn't have college sports content and American can be the anchor program for NBC.

In the mist of ESPN lay off, I think NBC will offer us a lot more, a lot more.

Plus, NBC has a good branding.
06-12-2017 10:08 AM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
no thanks
06-12-2017 10:52 AM
YNot Online
All American

I Root For: BYU
I wouldn't mind BYU in the AAC for football if Boise St. and SDSU and Air Force or CSU were also involved. However, I don't think BYU administration or most BYU fans agree. The BYU-AAC football games have been competitive and exciting, for the most part. Looking forward to BYU @ ECU this fall.

I do think BYU would be VERY interested in AAC Olympic sports and a football affiliation, especially with some new western members. BYU and the AAC already had a "quasi-affiliation" back in 2014-15 time frame. UCF, Houston, UConn, Cincinnati, and ECU have had home-away series. BYU plays USF a couple times in the future and has history with SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane.
06-12-2017 11:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.