Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fewer teens are getting jobs
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Fewer teens are getting jobs
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...ng-anymore

According to the article, it appears the biggest reason why teens are opting out is due to higher educational workloads and extracurricular activities to improve the resume for college admissions. My 16 year old will be taking some AP and college classes in the fall plus has some summer work to do for one of her AP classes. However, she is also working at McDonald's and is learning A LOT about the world. I think it's a huge mistake for teens to opt out of working in favor of more school focused activities. It's not that I think kids need to turn their backs on education - far from it. I think there is some slack in all these kids lives, and learning to balance life by working a job and being forced to deal with bosses and coworkers is a tremendous learning experience itself. I know for my daughter, it's forcing her to learn how to work under pressure and to develop a thicker skin for dealing with difficult people AND aggressive bosses.
06-05-2017 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
RE: Fewer teens are getting jobs
Are we assuming they are opting out or is this a fact? I always was under the impression that they aren't working because grown men and women are now filling the minimum wage positions that teens have traditionally filled. Educational workloads and extracurricular activities are nothing new.
06-05-2017 09:15 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(06-05-2017 09:12 AM)miko33 Wrote:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...ng-anymore

According to the article, it appears the biggest reason why teens are opting out is due to higher educational workloads and extracurricular activities to improve the resume for college admissions. My 16 year old will be taking some AP and college classes in the fall plus has some summer work to do for one of her AP classes. However, she is also working at McDonald's and is learning A LOT about the world. I think it's a huge mistake for teens to opt out of working in favor of more school focused activities. It's not that I think kids need to turn their backs on education - far from it. I think there is some slack in all these kids lives, and learning to balance life by working a job and being forced to deal with bosses and coworkers is a tremendous learning experience itself. I know for my daughter, it's forcing her to learn how to work under pressure and to develop a thicker skin for dealing with difficult people AND aggressive bosses.

I agree with you. I learned a great deal about work ethic at an early age mowing lawns at age 12, selling flowers on street corners at 13, working in a facter at 17.

Dealing with people and working my ass of for minimum wage in fact motivated me to go to college.
06-05-2017 09:28 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Having a minimum wage job doesn't look as good on college applications as volunteer activities or unpaid internships
06-05-2017 09:28 AM
miko33 Offline

(06-05-2017 09:15 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Are we assuming they are opting out or is this a fact? I always was under the impression that they aren't working because grown men and women are now filling the minimum wage positions that teens have traditionally filled. Educational workloads and extracurricular activities are nothing new.

The article acknowledged that these were possible factors - and I'm sure they are factors for some places. However, I tend to agree with the article that the biggest factor could be refusing to work by choice. High school sports take more time out of a kids life than I've ever seen when I was in high school. Then factor in traveling teams and factor in opportunities to take summer school for college credit and I think this is the biggest lever out of all the possible factors.

From my experience and observations as living in a decent sized town in the midwest, I've seen the high school kids practicing their sport (since specialization is encouraged vs multi sport athletes of a generation ago) thru much of the year. I know my daughter has summer school work to do for a class that doesn't start until fall. Also, a number of her friends and kids she knows has no urge to get their drivers license or try to find a job. It took my daughter about 4 - 6 weeks to start working after she first started looking and interviewing - with no insiders working for her to get her into a job.

While there are definitely older people working dead end jobs, I'm not seeing that as the primary barrier to kids not finding jobs. They are there to be had IMHO. We live in a good area, but it's a midwest town that only has a decent local economy plus an overall decline in mfg thru automation and migration to other areas.
06-05-2017 09:30 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(06-05-2017 09:15 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Are we assuming they are opting out or is this a fact? I always was under the impression that they aren't working because grown men and women are now filling the minimum wage positions that teens have traditionally filled. Educational workloads and extracurricular activities are nothing new.

I think this has more to do with it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
06-05-2017 09:31 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

By the way I agree that drowning kids in education is counterproductive, unless that is their true passion and it is self-driven. Most life skills are not taught in school. Furthermore, unless you are part of the 1% that may be in the running for an Ivy, Stanford, or Duke, that schit reallly doesn't matter. More important to learn to lead, negotiate, and relate in collaborative activities such as sports, work, charity, and clubs.
06-05-2017 09:32 AM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
When my kids turned 16 they didn't have an option of not working in the summer.
06-05-2017 09:32 AM
Hood-rich Offline

(06-05-2017 09:28 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Having a minimum wage job doesn't look as good on college applications as volunteer activities or unpaid internships
It should imho. A lot of kids don't have a choice if they want any spending money. I didn't. I remember having to buy my own schools supplies with money I earned sometimes.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 09:34 AM by Hood-rich.)
06-05-2017 09:33 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-05-2017 09:28 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Having a minimum wage job doesn't look as good on college applications as volunteer activities or unpaid internships

That would depend on the person evaluating the application, I assume. I've never heard of someone not getting into college because they had work experience.
06-05-2017 09:34 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-05-2017 09:30 AM)miko33 Wrote:  

The article acknowledged that these were possible factors - and I'm sure they are factors for some places. However, I tend to agree with the article that the biggest factor could be refusing to work by choice. High school sports take more time out of a kids life than I've ever seen when I was in high school. Then factor in traveling teams and factor in opportunities to take summer school for college credit and I think this is the biggest lever out of all the possible factors.

From my experience and observations as living in a decent sized town in the midwest, I've seen the high school kids practicing their sport (since specialization is encouraged vs multi sport athletes of a generation ago) thru much of the year. I know my daughter has summer school work to do for a class that doesn't start until fall. Also, a number of her friends and kids she knows has no urge to get their drivers license or try to find a job. It took my daughter about 4 - 6 weeks to start working after she first started looking and interviewing - with no insiders working for her to get her into a job.

While there are definitely older people working dead end jobs, I'm not seeing that as the primary barrier to kids not finding jobs. They are there to be had IMHO. We live in a good area, but it's a midwest town that only has a decent local economy plus an overall decline in mfg thru automation and migration to other areas.

That's true about sports.

I was also reading something the other day about how the retail implosion would impact teen job opportunities.
06-05-2017 09:35 AM
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
I've always assumed that back in my day, most kids, if they wanted a car, or just about anything else, parents told them to get a job. Now they just buy their kids everything. I've assumed those not working don't have to.

Fewer good parents.
06-05-2017 09:36 AM
miko33 Offline

IDK, I think the paradigm is shifting in higher education with fewer kids taking the "college is an adventure" approach to a more "what can out of my efforts" approach. It's becoming more transactional due to costs. Also, unless you plan on going to school at an ivy, other big name private or a "public ivy", it's useless anyways. In fact, if the snowflake phenomena continues to grow, I can see admissions people shifting their emphasis to kids who are less likely to become snowflakes at school. Having work experience dealing with people from all walks of life will toughen kids up - which is what they need.
06-05-2017 09:36 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Good insight. I only know one HS senior, a neighbor, and he works at a local FroYo shop. I cannot imagine being indifferent to getting a drivers license, job or not. That's crazy.
06-05-2017 09:38 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

(06-05-2017 09:38 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I cannot imagine being indifferent to getting a drivers license, job or not. That's crazy.

Seems to be a lot of kids now who don't care. Again back in my day, a license was the reason to breath.
06-05-2017 09:41 AM
miko33 Offline

(06-05-2017 09:38 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Good insight. I only know one HS senior, a neighbor, and he works at a local FroYo shop. I cannot imagine being indifferent to getting a drivers license, job or not. That's crazy.

My daughter's BF doesn't want to get a job or get his drivers license. She knows a number of other kids like this too. It's crazy. I don't think the BF will last a whole lot longer though. I think she's getting tired of it. You'd think the kid would feel some shame at being driven to different places by his GF. At least he paid for the dinner on their last date. Not sure where he gets his money though...
06-05-2017 09:42 AM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State

My kids were not particularly in a hurry to get a DL. I was rushing to get mine at age 14. Different mindsets.
06-05-2017 09:42 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I worked and had a '65 mustang paid for sitting in the drive at 15, ready to go when I got my license.
06-05-2017 09:44 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-05-2017 09:42 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  

My kids were not particularly in a hurry to get a DL. I was rushing to get mine at age 14. Different mindsets.

I spent most of my free time between 16-18 on the road.
06-05-2017 09:47 AM
Hood-rich Offline

(06-05-2017 09:42 AM)miko33 Wrote:  

My daughter's BF doesn't want to get a job or get his drivers license. She knows a number of other kids like this too. It's crazy. I don't think the BF will last a whole lot longer though. I think she's getting tired of it. You'd think the kid would feel some shame at being driven to different places by his GF. At least he paid for the dinner on their last date. Not sure where he gets his money though...

Sounds like you need to screen a little better. 07-coffee3
06-05-2017 09:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.