06-03-2017 05:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Survivor Runner-up
RE: CFN: Preview 2017: UAB Blazers
Is our defense going to be as sketchy as they are predicting? This outlet appears to have at least put some effort into their write up, but from what I've read it seems like our defense may hold us in some games, not the other way around.
06-03-2017 06:27 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
Who knows we haven't played in two years, at this point there's alot of optimism. I do like that this article pointed out Heath as the top option at RB though. I dont think Lisa will be the leading receiver, and the line does seem to be a work in progress.

Defensively i think we have some good pieces and there's a reason a good number of the guys highly rated are at UAB. By mid season barring injury the D should hit stride. I read Pete looking at the defense as a 3-4 look and think he's wrong about that. I was under the impression we keep five DB's on the field since Culver looks penciled in as a starter.
06-03-2017 07:35 PM
busch Online
Special Teams

I Root For:
(06-03-2017 07:35 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  Who knows we haven't played in two years, at this point there's alot of optimism. I do like that this article pointed out Heath as the top option at RB though. I dont think Lisa will be the leading receiver, and the line does seem to be a work in progress.

Defensively i think we have some good pieces and there's a reason a good number of the guys highly rated are at UAB. By mid season barring injury the D should hit stride. I read Pete looking at the defense as a 3-4 look and think he's wrong about that. I was under the impression we keep five DB's on the field since Culver looks penciled in as a starter.

Heath was not the top option at running back by the end of spring practice. In fact, at one point late in the spring, he was probably fourth on the depth chart. He had a good last week and played well in the spring game. And he might work his way to becoming the top guy during fall camp. But, as of now, he doesn't appear to be the No. 1 option at that position.

I also think he's wrong about the defensive strengths. I think the Blazers have a good chance of being very solid up front. They are running a 3-4 at this point with the Jack linebacker being a mixture of defensive end/OLB. Culver will play a similar role to what Kalen Jackson and Rolan Milligan played in 2014. The defense will have plenty of different looks.
06-03-2017 08:35 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I think he was going by the Spring game when the offense had their way with the defense. The Spring game was 1s vs 2s all around not #1 defense vs #1 offense and #2 offense vs #2 defense. The top defense was on the same team as the top offense. So, it was actually the defensive backups that got abused. Have to wonder about depth a bit, though. After not playing for a couple of years you have to wonder about fitting pieces together. I suspect, especially early on, we'll be a power spread team moreso than usual...
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2017 09:10 PM by WesternBlazer.)
06-03-2017 09:09 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(06-03-2017 08:35 PM)busch Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 07:35 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  Who knows we haven't played in two years, at this point there's alot of optimism. I do like that this article pointed out Heath as the top option at RB though. I dont think Lisa will be the leading receiver, and the line does seem to be a work in progress.

Heath was not the top option at running back by the end of spring practice. In fact, at one point late in the spring, he was probably fourth on the depth chart. He had a good last week and played well in the spring game. And he might work his way to becoming the top guy during fall camp. But, as of now, he doesn't appear to be the No. 1 option at that position.

I also think he's wrong about the defensive strengths. I think the Blazers have a good chance of being very solid up front. They are running a 3-4 at this point with the Jack linebacker being a mixture of defensive end/OLB. Culver will play a similar role to what Kalen Jackson and Rolan Milligan played in 2014. The defense will have plenty of different looks.

He was the best looking RB in the spring game, i dont get into practice issues ( for instance in bball Nate was practicing great still didnt get many minutes over that time) that's a touchy subject. The two best backs imho in the spring game were Heath and Stanley. I think Heath had the most yards and better ypc.

Defensively it always looked like a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5 not a full 3-4. Kalen Jackson was a DB not LB so thats what im getting at. Btw i thought Kalen was our best defensive player in 2014 hate he got hurt three games in defense took a hit.
06-03-2017 10:18 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(06-03-2017 09:09 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  I think he was going by the Spring game when the offense had their way with the defense. The Spring game was 1s vs 2s all around not #1 defense vs #1 offense and #2 offense vs #2 defense. The top defense was on the same team as the top offense. So, it was actually the defensive backups that got abused. Have to wonder about depth a bit, though. After not playing for a couple of years you have to wonder about fitting pieces together. I suspect, especially early on, we'll be a power spread team moreso than usual...

+1

I got what coach was doing as in a dress rehearsal, but i wouldve much rather seen some of the green players on the gold/white side for a better game and more reps/snaps. Maybe underclassmen/ walkons versus upperclassmen might have been better.
06-03-2017 10:26 PM
Advertisement

cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
IMO, this preview is totally bassackwards, but that is expected since no one knows much at this point. We play to win the games. If we returned last year, I would have considered it a redshirt season. Because I think we would have looked like year one of Callaway when he ran off all the players. I think Clark has done a nice job of filling all our holes in the roster. And unlike Callaway, he actually knows what he's doing. Progressing and getting better during the season will be the key for this team.

I also think the defense will be the key until the offense finds its groove. I do agree that the pass rush will be key to making the rest of the defense better. That's still an unknown since we haven't seen this group in action. It will be important for the 2nd group to become just as effective as the ones for us to have success.

3 wins equals success. lol
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2017 10:43 PM by cb4029.)
06-03-2017 10:42 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(06-03-2017 10:42 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  IMO, this preview is totally bassackwards. We play to win the games. If we returned last year, I would have considered it a redshirt season. Because I think we would have looked like year one of Callaway when he ran off all the players. I think Clark has done a nice job of filling all our holes in the roster. And unlike Callaway, he actually knows what he's doing. Progressing and getting better during the season will be the key for this team.

I also think the defense will be the key until the offense finds its groove. I do agree that the pass rush will be key to making the rest of the defense better. That's still an unknown since we haven't seen this group in action. It will be important for the 2nd group to become just as effective as the ones for us to have success.

3 wins equals success. lol

+1

The biggest game on the schedule to me at the moment is Ball State, and its a toss up being that, that's the first FBS game. Really hope we start out 3-0 headed into cusa play.

I also we couldve came back year and been competitive actually. Recruit 50 or so guys and hope guys returned (around 20 guys) and transfers even from the FCS level. Clark does seem to find guys from some of everywhere.
06-03-2017 10:53 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
The Vegas over/under for total wins has come out at 2.5, which is exactly where I thought they'd put it.
06-04-2017 09:57 AM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
We've won as soon as our team walks back out on the field and plays a game.

No one really has any way to know how good we're going to be. We have a lot of pieces, but it will be midseason before we can make an educated assessment.

In the meantime, #TheReturn is a huge victory for every one of us against one of the most powerful groups in this state. Savor it.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 11:12 AM by UAB Band Dad.)
06-04-2017 11:11 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Hoping for a UTSA startup type of season...
06-04-2017 11:20 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
As long as Bill Clark is our coach, I anticipate we will be a tough game for every team we play.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 08:53 PM by BlazerPhil.)
06-04-2017 08:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.