Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Evergreen State Protesters Demand No Homework, College President Hurries To Oblige
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Evergreen State Protesters Demand No Homework, College President Hurries To Oblige

Unbelievable. We’re protesting a school that’s already far left because it wouldn’t kick white people off campus for the day and wouldn’t fire a professor who objected to that.

Quote:Protesters at Evergreen State College demanded that the school president exempt them from homework in a video of the protests posted Monday.

“All of us are students and have homework and projects and things due,” said the protester during a meeting between students and George Bridges, Evergreen’s president, reported Campus Reform. “Have you sent an email out to our faculty letting them know? What’s been done with that?”

“That is the first thing I’ll do,” replied Bridges. “I have not done it yet. I’ll do it right now.”

“So they need to be told that these assignments won’t be done on time. And we don’t need to be penalized for that,” said the protester while gesturing with her hand.

But when Bridges himself used his hand to gesticulate, another protester told him to put his hand down. Throughout the protests, students policed the president’s ability to gesture when expressing himself.

Later in the video, Bridges, surrounded by protesters, asks for privacy to consider their demands. When he states he has claustrophobia, the students compare it to the racism they allegedly experience on campus.

“Students of color have to work in threatening environments every day,” responded one protester, while others started snapping in approval. “Welcome. Welcome. Get to work.”

This new video adds to the deluge of footage that has already surfaced showing protesters making demands, cursing out Bridges and calling for the resignation of a professor who disagreed with the day-long segregation of black and white students.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/30/evergr...to-oblige/
06-01-2017 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Evergreen State Protesters Demand No Homework, College President Hurries To Oblige
(06-01-2017 10:58 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  

Unbelievable. We’re protesting a school that’s already far left because it wouldn’t kick white people off campus for the day and wouldn’t fire a professor who objected to that.

Quote:Protesters at Evergreen State College demanded that the school president exempt them from homework in a video of the protests posted Monday.

“All of us are students and have homework and projects and things due,” said the protester during a meeting between students and George Bridges, Evergreen’s president, reported Campus Reform. “Have you sent an email out to our faculty letting them know? What’s been done with that?”

“That is the first thing I’ll do,” replied Bridges. “I have not done it yet. I’ll do it right now.”

“So they need to be told that these assignments won’t be done on time. And we don’t need to be penalized for that,” said the protester while gesturing with her hand.

But when Bridges himself used his hand to gesticulate, another protester told him to put his hand down. Throughout the protests, students policed the president’s ability to gesture when expressing himself.

Later in the video, Bridges, surrounded by protesters, asks for privacy to consider their demands. When he states he has claustrophobia, the students compare it to the racism they allegedly experience on campus.

“Students of color have to work in threatening environments every day,” responded one protester, while others started snapping in approval. “Welcome. Welcome. Get to work.”

This new video adds to the deluge of footage that has already surfaced showing protesters making demands, cursing out Bridges and calling for the resignation of a professor who disagreed with the day-long segregation of black and white students.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/30/evergr...to-oblige/

He told the campus police to stand down even though people on campus were searching cars, apparently looking for the professor who objected.
06-01-2017 11:59 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Evergreen State Protesters Demand No Homework, College President Hurries To Oblige
#notemployable
06-01-2017 12:01 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
I never gave my students homework for two reasons.

1. I didn't believe in it. I never take work home and therefore shouldn't expect them to. They put in their 7 or 8 hours in school. Let them be kids after school.

2. They never turned it in anyway. I saw other teachers struggle with it all the time. What little they did get would be graded at home. They were simply giving themselves more work.
06-01-2017 12:04 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(06-01-2017 12:04 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  I never gave my students homework for two reasons.

1. I didn't believe in it. I never take work home and therefore shouldn't expect them to. They put in their 7 or 8 hours in school. Let them be kids after school.

2. They never turned it in anyway. I saw other teachers struggle with it all the time. What little they did get would be graded at home. They were simply giving themselves more work.

In other words, they were doing the job of a teacher. Cant have that. Its work!
06-01-2017 12:06 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
He's a cuck.... we need a more Regan like response to the crap kids are pulling on college campuses
06-01-2017 12:15 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

(06-01-2017 12:06 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 12:04 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  I never gave my students homework for two reasons.

It's not the job of the teacher. At least not in any contract I ever signed.

As far as I know, homework has always been optional for the teacher.
06-01-2017 12:15 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Nothing wrong with homework. Now, 5 hours every night is asinine, but an hour or so of homework each night is a good thing. Helps kids reinforce what they learned that day.
06-01-2017 12:18 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(06-01-2017 12:06 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

I actually somewhat agree with Fit. The students' job is to know the material. For some, homework is a waste of time. For others, it is their responsibility to put in the time after hours to learn it. That is measured by testing. Only caveat is reading and writing assignments where reading needs to be done to participate intelligently in class or writing/research papers, which cannot be done during school hours without interfering with other subjects.
06-01-2017 12:43 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(06-01-2017 12:18 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Nothing wrong with homework. Now, 5 hours every night is asinine, but an hour or so of homework each night is a good thing. Helps kids reinforce what they learned that day.

Maybe assign it, but grading it is asinine, unless it is writing. At the end of the day, you either know the material or you don't. Someone who knows it, but didn't do the homework shouldn't get lesser grade than someone who doesn't know it but did their homework. An employee that meets his goals on 40 hours per week is more valuable than an employee that works 80 hours and falls short.
06-01-2017 12:49 PM
LeFlâneur Offline
Banned

I Root For: USC

Back in the early 1990s, a study from the University of Michigan, found that the number 1 predictor of how well students do in class, was the time spent on homework.
06-01-2017 12:56 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators

Do you teach metal shop or are you just a bare minimum to keep the job sort of guy?

My wife taught for 2 decades and took work home nearly every evening.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2017 12:59 PM by rath v2.0.)
06-01-2017 12:59 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

[Image: DBQTjUYUIAAPZkn.jpg]
06-01-2017 01:29 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(06-01-2017 12:59 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

Do you teach metal shop or are you just a bare minimum to keep the job sort of guy?

My wife taught for 2 decades and took work home nearly every evening.

When I started out teaching, I took a lot of work home because I wasn't efficient. Over the years however I learned to stream line things. Technology helped a lot. We had test graders if you were willing to put in the time and program the computer to grade.

I also utilized the kids to help me grade and turned it into a learning experience.

One way I did this is I would group kids together and they would go over answers together and discuss why some answers were correct and others were not.

This way, the one's who got the concept tutored the one's that didn't and reinforced what they learned at the same time.

It's all about working smarter, not harder.
06-01-2017 01:34 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Quote:"A student throws bowls on a spinning wheel in the ceramics studio at dusk."

Poor gender non-specific, unknown race identifying student.
06-01-2017 01:37 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(06-01-2017 01:37 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
Quote:"A student throws bowls on a spinning wheel in the ceramics studio at dusk."

Poor gender non-specific, unknown race identifying student.

Very triggered, looks like a Caucasian also. Wonder if they have a tree hugging elective?
06-01-2017 01:50 PM
Advertisement

LeFlâneur Offline
Banned

I Root For: USC
Damn, I just checked their website and that is a current message. Wonder what's going on or what occurred that resulted in an apocalyptic warning. Just what is a "direct threat to campus safety"?

Get a camera crew on site, local news at 5. I'll get the popcorn.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2017 02:01 PM by LeFlâneur.)
06-01-2017 02:00 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(06-01-2017 02:00 PM)LeFlâneur Wrote:  Damn, I just checked their website and that is a current message. Wonder what's going on or what occurred that resulted in an apocalyptic warning. Just what is a "direct threat to campus safety"?

Get a camera crew on site, local news at 5. I'll get the popcorn.

A "threat" was called in, thats all anyone has.
06-01-2017 02:20 PM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

Worth noting the professor who was threatened last week returned to Campus today.

A spokeswoman for the school wrote in a text message Thursday afternoon that a threat had been called in to local law enforcement and that the president decided to close the school temporarily out of an abundance of caution.

Bret Weinstein, a professor at Evergreen State University, had returned to work Thursday, a week after he was confronted by an angry group of students who converged on his classroom calling him a racist and demanding his resignation. The incident at the small liberal arts college in Olympia was captured on videotape and shared widely on social media, where it touched off the latest conflagration in on-campus culture wars.
06-01-2017 02:22 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ

I wonder how they'll be able to do the research necessary for a research paper, it sure can't be done during a class day. I remember in one class alone at UTEP we had to do 9 reports and one research paper all in one semester. Are all these student you taught going to Evergreen State?
06-01-2017 07:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.