Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dan Wolken says SEC should do away with divisions
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Online
1st String

I Root For: Alabama
Here's his article from earlier tonight in USA Today.

Personally, I'm all for it. Woken suggests only having 2 permanent rivals, but I think we could easily do 3 or 4 and still maintain a very high rotation rate. We wouldn't even have to add a 9th game for the time being.

Either way, it's something worth discussing and it would make the Championship Game more compelling to have the two highest rated teams as opposed to potentially weaker division winners.
06-01-2017 12:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Dan Wolken says SEC should do away with divisions
(06-01-2017 12:01 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Here's his article from earlier tonight in USA Today.

Personally, I'm all for it. Woken suggests only having 2 permanent rivals, but I think we could easily do 3 or 4 and still maintain a very high rotation rate. We wouldn't even have to add a 9th game for the time being.

Either way, it's something worth discussing and it would make the Championship Game more compelling to have the two highest rated teams as opposed to potentially weaker division winners.

There are flaws, especially if you have more than two permanent rivals. It would be easy for some school to try to get Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and any other lower tier program assigned as their annual rival. It gives them a leg up on everyone else. And therein lies the rub. Tennessee could legitimately claim both.

And it still requires a rules change.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2017 12:17 AM by JRsec.)
06-01-2017 12:11 AM
Gamecock Online
1st String

I Root For: South Carolina
As long as South Carolina plays UGA, UF, and UT every year I'm OK.
06-01-2017 06:18 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
I like this idea for all conferences, especially the ACC. You get to play everyone H&H within 4 years. As for someone like Tennessee, for example, claiming weaker permanent rivals it would make up for itself in the rotational part of the schedule. Or you could just not allow anyone to have both UK & Vandy.

For example:
Tenn: Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Missouri

Tenn: Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Alabama, Florida, SC, Auburn, Miss State, A&M

Ala: Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, A&M, Miss State, Missouri, Kentucky

Ala: Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, SC, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2017 07:13 AM by Lenvillecards.)
06-01-2017 07:12 AM

XLance Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Carolina
The ACC tried to eliminate divisions so that they could choose a champion in any manner they chose, but the SEC stabbed them in the back when it came time to vote when the boys from Birmingham sided with the B1G. The B1G!
06-01-2017 07:25 AM
Win5002 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(06-01-2017 07:25 AM)XLance Wrote:  The ACC tried to eliminate divisions so that they could choose a champion in any manner they chose, but the SEC stabbed them in the back when it came time to vote when the boys from Birmingham sided with the B1G. The B1G!

I think this is the best idea for every league. Each time you do pods one team loses rivals and doesn't really need to play the rest of the pod from a historical standpoint. Give the league the maximum flexibility for scheduling. Its also the best model for an expanded conference playoffs. Why predetermine the conference playoff participants have to be one from each pod, just take the 4 highest finishers. Or even better if we finally get rid of bowl games leagues with 16 or more have 6 conference playoff participants or even 8 if they are 18 or more. This is a similar % of teams making the playoffs in the NFL.
06-01-2017 01:17 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(06-01-2017 12:01 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Here's his article from earlier tonight in USA Today.

Link not working.

In an eight conference games model with 14 members, the sweet spot would be 3 permanent rivals and rotate the other ten members every other year. So every four years you play home and away against every opponent.
06-01-2017 01:48 PM

Soobahk40050 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennessee
(06-01-2017 12:11 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

There are flaws, especially if you have more than two permanent rivals. It would be easy for some school to try to get Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and any other lower tier program assigned as their annual rival. It gives them a leg up on everyone else. And therein lies the rub. Tennessee could legitimately claim both.

And it still requires a rules change.

Younger fans would be upset if we didn't play Florida every year. Older fans if we didn't play Bama.

But I'm in favor of divisionless anyway.
06-01-2017 05:37 PM
AllTideUp Online
1st String

I Root For: Alabama
(06-01-2017 01:48 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Link not working.

In an eight conference games model with 14 members, the sweet spot would be 3 permanent rivals and rotate the other ten members every other year. So every four years you play home and away against every opponent.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co...102362776/

Try this one.
06-02-2017 07:50 AM
Gamecock Online
1st String

I Root For: South Carolina
Bump to an old thread but I was thinking about this over the weekend and I really think it deserves further discussion. I was originally stuck on wanting to play UGA/UF/UT every year but I think I can learn to love the setup proposed by SB Nation - which basically gives each team 3 permanent opponents and rotates between 5 of the remaining 10 teams each year.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal...s-rotation

.png  sec.PNG (Size: 69.58 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-04-2017 11:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.