Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What should LSU's new mascot be?
ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
What should LSU's new mascot be?
I can't really keep up, but apparently "tigers" is now a racist term, too. But, maybe only in Louisiana. Or maybe it will spread.

Ragin' Cajuns is neat, but taken. Crazy Creoles?

If it spreads, I guess Auburn could fall back on War Eagles.

What about Clemson... Taters?

Mizzou... something PC and absurd. The Inclusives, The GLBTs, The SJWs?
05-31-2017 07:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: What should LSU's new mascot be?
bayou bengals
Nickname for the nickname of Louisiana State University, the Tigers
05-31-2017 07:54 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
Tigers is racist?
05-31-2017 08:17 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(05-31-2017 08:17 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  Tigers is racist?

Named after, at least in part, the Confederate infantry regiment nicknamed the Louisiana Tigers.
05-31-2017 08:21 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
So these clowns are all worked up about Tigers due to a vague reference to a Civil War regiment? They do realize that there is an SEC team in the neighboring state that goes by Rebels?

That article is so full of incorrect and unsubstantiated claims. Most Southerners didn't even own slaves so I find it doubtful that the entire regiment not only owned slaves but also mistreated them.
05-31-2017 08:26 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
Tigers because thus is stupid. Does Grambling change their name now?
05-31-2017 08:32 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Corn Dog
05-31-2017 08:53 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(05-31-2017 07:37 PM)ColKurtz Wrote:  I can't really keep up, but apparently "tigers" is now a racist term, too. But, maybe only in Louisiana. Or maybe it will spread.

Ragin' Cajuns is neat, but taken. Crazy Creoles?

If it spreads, I guess Auburn could fall back on War Eagles.

What about Clemson... Taters?

Mizzou... something PC and absurd. The Inclusives, The GLBTs, The SJWs?

Considering our 89-54-5 record against the two FBS teams who have barnyard fowl mascots, South Carolina and Virginia Tech, just call us the Poultry Pickers.
05-31-2017 08:56 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
They should change the name simply because it is of the most unoriginal names in sports. Afterall there are 3 schools in the SEC alone that go by the Tigers
05-31-2017 08:56 PM
C2__ Online
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(05-31-2017 08:21 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Named after, at least in part, the Confederate infantry regiment nicknamed the Louisiana Tigers.

I'm sure Louis the XIV was racist somehow, let's just rename the whole state.
05-31-2017 09:09 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
One that always amazes me is how UNC gets away with Tarheels. The pride for the name came during the Civil War and pro confederacy.

Robert E. Lee quotation[edit]
The book Grandfather Tales of North Carolina History (1901) states that:
During the late unhappy war between the States it [North Carolina] was sometimes called the "Tar-heel State," because tar was made in the State, and because in battle the soldiers of North Carolina stuck to their bloody work as if they had tar on their heels, and when General Lee said, "God bless the Tar-heel boys," they took the name. (p. 6)[9]
A letter found in 1991 (dating from 1864 in the North Carolina "Tar Heel Collection") by North Carolina State Archivist David Olson supports the theory that Lee might have stated something similar to this. A Colonel Joseph Engelhard, describing the Battle of Ream's Station in Virginia, wrote: "It was a 'Tar Heel' fight, and ... we got Gen'l Lee to thanking God, which you know means something brilliant."[10][11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_Heel
05-31-2017 09:22 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Online
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I thought Tar Heels were a Revolutionary War thing?
05-31-2017 09:34 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(05-31-2017 09:34 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I thought Tar Heels were a Revolutionary War thing?

Let's go with that.
05-31-2017 09:35 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-31-2017 09:34 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  I thought Tar Heels were a Revolutionary War thing?

Yup, the Revolutionary War. That was what Gov Vance had to be thinking when the name was officially adopted in 1864. 03-lmfao

The official seal of approval of Tar Heel as a nickname for North Carolinians came when Governor Zebulon B. Vance visited the Army of Northern Virginia on 28 Mar. 1864. I mean him serving as a Confederate Officer and Robert E. Lee praise would never be figured in taking honor of the name.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with any Civil War Monument or History but I can't stand when people attempt to change actual history to try and be PC. I can't stand PC police and them changing mascot names. Just this one is so obvious, it amazes me the lack of acknowledgement by these PC Police groups.
05-31-2017 09:53 PM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
So some jackwad thinks that just because a Civil War Regiment from Louisiana was nicknamed the Louisiana Tigers it is therefor politically incorrect for a State University from Louisiana to have the same nickname. So what does this jackwad do he starts a petition to jack the name changed. This jackwad needs to get a life and stop blaming all his problems on the past.
05-31-2017 10:08 PM
Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
(05-31-2017 08:21 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Literally no one in the mainstream would draw that from the team's branding, colors, or anything relating to the team as it is viewed and celebrated today. It is so heavily tied to the actual animal now that its original meaning is irrelevant. Nothing about the team's image as-is today celebrates the Civil War or the Confederacy.

I would completely get going after Ole Miss, waste of time though it might be. This is just stupid.
05-31-2017 10:12 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I'm the descendent of multiple Confederate veterans and have all the documentation needed if my daughter ever wanted to join the Daughters of the Confederacy or Daughters of the American Revolution.

Someone wants to tear down every Army of Northern Virginia flag they can? I don't care.
A city or county wants to remove General Lee or Jeff Davis or Stonewall Jackson statutes. I don't care.

Most ridiculous thing I've seen was the county in eastern Tennessee that recently started flying a Confederate flag to celebrate their history, when their history was begging the Union to send troops ASAP because they were opposed to secession.

Eliminate Chief Wahoo and I'll say that was probably overdue and ditto the Redskins.

All that said.

This takes the cake on silly.
05-31-2017 10:35 PM
ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Quote:Literally no one in the mainstream would draw that from the team's branding, colors, or anything relating to the team as it is viewed and celebrated today. It is so heavily tied to the actual animal now that its original meaning is irrelevant. Nothing about the team's image as-is today celebrates the Civil War or the Confederacy.

I would completely get going after Ole Miss, waste of time though it might be. This is just stupid.

One would think. They did just tear down Robert E. Lee's statue though. A man whose biggest fault was growing up in a DC suburb a few miles from the wrong side of the line. Graduated in the top of his class at West Point. Fought alongside Ulysses Grant in the Mexican American war. Grew up poor, but emancipated a relative's slaves when he was named executor of his estate. Wrote about slavery being a sin to mankind.

But he was associated with the south, so off he goes. Thought this will in all likelihood lead to nothing, I'd be a little wary of the momentum of the safe space crowd in LA if I was LSU.
05-31-2017 11:03 PM
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
Help, I'm a little rusty on this. Aren't Missouri Tigers and Kansas Jayhawks nicknames originated from the Civil War era? The Tigers were a part of the state militia and Kansas residents were derisively called Jayhawkers. It was during the fighting over whether Kansas would be admitted as a free or slave state.
05-31-2017 11:47 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-31-2017 11:03 PM)ColKurtz Wrote:  
Quote:Literally no one in the mainstream would draw that from the team's branding, colors, or anything relating to the team as it is viewed and celebrated today. It is so heavily tied to the actual animal now that its original meaning is irrelevant. Nothing about the team's image as-is today celebrates the Civil War or the Confederacy.

One would think. They did just tear down Robert E. Lee's statue though. A man whose biggest fault was growing up in a DC suburb a few miles from the wrong side of the line. Graduated in the top of his class at West Point. Fought alongside Ulysses Grant in the Mexican American war. Grew up poor, but emancipated a relative's slaves when he was named executor of his estate. Wrote about slavery being a sin to mankind.

But he was associated with the south, so off he goes. Thought this will in all likelihood lead to nothing, I'd be a little wary of the momentum of the safe space crowd in LA if I was LSU.

The relative was his father-in-law and the father-in-law's will directed that the slaves be freed as soon as practical. Lee kept them until he got his own financial situation in order (most of the family fortune had been squandered before he was born and little was left for him, his wife's inheritance saved him financially). He complied with a direction in a will and only once he was in better financial shape.

He also took this oath.
"I, ______, do solemnly swear or affirm (as the case may be) to bear true allegiance to the United States of America, and to serve them honestly and faithfully, against all their enemies or opposers whatsoever, and to observe and obey the orders of the President of the United States of America, and the orders of the officers appointed over me."

He was active in the Army (he had been promoted to Colonel after the first group of state seceded and turned down a Confederate offer of command prior to the promotion) and upon the start of shooting, Lincoln promoted him to major general and assigned him command of the Army but with Virginia's secession he did not obey the order of the president and resigned his commission.

Lee like Texas governor Sam Houston thought secession was a mistake. But Houston refused to take an oath of loyalty to the Confederacy and was removed from office.

People have choices.

Lee made the wrong choice when faced with how to deal with secession.

All that said, if someone wants to have a statue to Lee, I am not opposed because despite his mistake with regard to secession, in choosing to join the Confederacy, he sealed the fate of slavery. If Lee had commanded the Army of the Potomac the war likely ends much more quickly before the abolitionist sentiment took over the nation. The south would have been restored to the Union with slavery intact.

Far more significantly, as the war effort was collapsing, Jefferson Davis refused to accept that reality and accept any terms of peace. He directed Lee to escape with as many men as he could and wage a guerrilla campaign to undermine the Union occupation. Davis wanted a terrorist campaign. Lee instead ignored the order and in days surrendered Grant.

Lee was a very complex man. He believed slavery was bad not because of the impact it had on those in bondage but because it was bad for whites undermining the poor and their ability to earn a living competing against bondage labor. He believed that slavery was essential for the black man to make him civilized enough to be in America.

He also reformed a troubled little college, found ways to admit poor students who couldn't afford to attend and twice used his reputation and influence to prevent lynchings (one white, one black).
06-01-2017 12:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.