Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blade on-line BGSU Athletics finance article
Bookmark and Share
rocket 51 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Blade on-line BGSU Athletics finance article
http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/797..._id=878183

Very interesting article on the finances down south. Some telling statistics in deed. They have one of the lowest budgets in the MAC and the second lowest institutional support and it doesn't sound like he is able to ask for that to go up.

The AD is making a plea to all alums to join the Falcon Club and "give back" to the school in order to make up the short comings. Very interesting comment from their AD...if they had sold out every FB, MBB, WBB, VB and Ice Hockey match in 2016 it would have only generated an additional $2.8 M and that would have moved them from 12th in total budget to 11th in the MAC.

With all of our frustrations in many area we are in great shape in regards to the "ROI" UT gets for their institutional support to the athletic dept.

I am guessing that this is an early message to BGSU supporters that they need help in a big way to keep this thing going in Wood County. Drop to DII is heading their way I suspect unless they see a big increase in alumni or institutional support.
05-29-2017 09:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Blade on-line BGSU Athletics finance article
Well they did just build a real nice high school basketball facility

Toledo fans shouldn't go to the game down there. Why support the rival. Especially when it's on tv
05-29-2017 09:40 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-29-2017 09:40 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  Well they did just build a real nice high school basketball facility

Toledo fans shouldn't go to the game down there. Why support the rival. Especially when it's on tv

My first time in the building this last b-ball HS Play-offs and that's exactly what they built. Their version of Snyder Memorial only for B-ball.

What the heck were they thinking? It has no personality even. They had the perfect inspiration in the building they demolished. This wasn't brain surgery, just build a new version of the house that roared, right?
05-29-2017 03:48 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
I suspect they are in some serious trouble absent a huge influx of alumni money. The new facility for hoops is awful, worse even than Anderson. The football stadium needs some serious upgrades although the recent end zone addition seems pretty nice. Hockey eats $ fast and was on the verge of disappearing not long ago. I am avoiding any smugness because many smaller programs may be heading for a reckoning. TV money keeps many programs afloat and we don't get that much. Again, alumni giving is huge so don't be afraid to kick in.
05-29-2017 04:32 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I'd imagine BG's decline would be UT's gain. I wish there wasn't another Division 1 FBS university located in a Podunk town just 30 minutes away from UT. If BG dropped to DII, that might help UT more than we know.
05-29-2017 04:41 PM
Advertisement

MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
Are there sports that could be cut?
The right sports mix and minimum amount required is what I would look at.
While trying to increase donations.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
05-29-2017 05:24 PM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
I knew once Myles closed it would be all downhill.
05-29-2017 05:58 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(05-29-2017 05:24 PM)MJG Wrote:  Are there sports that could be cut?

Hockey has a wildly faithful base but I have to think it's bleeding money like a hemophiliac in a back-alley stabbing.
05-29-2017 07:07 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-29-2017 07:07 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 05:24 PM)MJG Wrote:  Are there sports that could be cut?

Hockey has a wildly faithful base but I have to think it's bleeding money like a hemophiliac in a back-alley stabbing.

Based on? BG?

I think shared resources would have to be the only way to keep either hockey or baseball. Certainly ice can be used year round for several different sports and recreations but that demand seems already filled with what the area already possesses. Between 5th-3rd and the old Lucas Country Rec, same baseball.

For baseball to remain economically competitive, I'm betting they would have to retain a practice field on campus, shared with student rec and play games at LCRC and 5th-3rd. I don't ever see it as a revenue sport. They'd have been more convenient to keep Scott Park and develop more shared uses for that property.
05-29-2017 07:35 PM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
hemophiliacs bleed money? We need to find a few of those for our own fundraising...
05-30-2017 12:07 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(05-30-2017 12:07 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  hemophiliacs bleed money? We need to find a few of those for our own fundraising...

Oh, yeah. You didn't know? it's like that guy in the old commercial that had money coming out his wazoo. We could use a few of those, too.
05-30-2017 06:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.