Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The OG and his staff
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice
The OG and his staff
Let's not pretend this isn't one of the truly great coaching jobs of The OG's career. The "out of touch" Wayne Graham and his staff managed to somehow convince a bunch of talented (but struggling) kids that if they just keep fighting, good things can happen.

Coach Graham and his guys took a LOT of heat on this board 30 games into the season. It's time to give credit where credit is due. Hats off to Clay, Scott, John, and especially Coach Graham.

Go Owls!!!!! Keep winning!!!
05-28-2017 07:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
RE: The OG and his staff
Amen. 04-bow 04-cheers 04-rock
05-28-2017 07:37 PM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
What a great way to end the season and continue the streak!
05-28-2017 07:39 PM
MJY Offline
1st String

I Root For:
A day may come when the streak falls. But it is not this day!
05-29-2017 12:31 AM
johncatworth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT, UVA, Rice
Way to go Owls...here's hoping the tournament selection committee is creative and matches them up with Wake or Stanford rather than the easy geographic match in Ft Worth or with LSU
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2017 12:51 AM by johncatworth.)
05-29-2017 12:50 AM
seniorowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice and Navy
When we were struggling during the middle of the season, I stated that we should never consider letting the OG go because of the NC he won for us in 2003. He should decide when he gets to retire. And I still stand by this.
05-29-2017 01:10 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-29-2017 01:10 AM)seniorowl Wrote:  When we were struggling during the middle of the season, I stated that we should never consider letting the OG go because of the NC he won for us in 2003. He should decide when he gets to retire. And I still stand by this.

That NC is the reason why Rice plays D1 athletics today. We need to be finding more Wayne Grahams instead of getting rid of the one we have. We need to have a succession plan for when that day comes, but we don't need to execute that plan just yet.
05-29-2017 08:12 AM
austinowl73 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice, the Phils

New Orleans Bowl
This was an amazing coaching effort. One might pick around the edges (this batting order/that; this rotation/that) but but keeping the team headed in direction of success when when it sure looked like all was lost -- that was a great effort. Someone posted it was like keeping the Titanis afloat after the iceberg -- -- nice turn of a phrase.
05-29-2017 09:29 AM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Well, a streak was snapped today (Miami), fortunately it was not Rice.
05-29-2017 11:52 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-29-2017 09:29 AM)austinowl73 Wrote:  This was an amazing coaching effort. One might pick around the edges (this batting order/that; this rotation/that) but but keeping the team headed in direction of success when when it sure looked like all was lost -- that was a great effort. Someone posted it was like keeping the Titanic afloat after the iceberg -- -- nice turn of a phrase.

Picking around the edges is what fans are supposed to do.
05-29-2017 11:54 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Is the team considered "young?"
05-29-2017 12:40 PM
Advertisement

Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

With 7-8 Sophs/freshmen playing significant roles, I would say they're fairly young.
05-29-2017 01:01 PM
AggieOwl01 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Guys, that was a very nice run this weekend! But the program is not what it used to be. Rice used to be one of the top 2-3 programs in the state if not the top. Now, it is somewhere between 6-10. Recruiting is not what it used to be. I get loyalty and that Graham has done a tremendous job at Rice, but dont let this weekend fool you that this program is anywhere near what it used to be when a trip to the Super Regionals every year was a minimum.
05-29-2017 01:41 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(05-29-2017 01:41 PM)AggieOwl01 Wrote:  Guys, that was a very nice run this weekend! But the program is not what it used to be. Rice used to be one of the top 2-3 programs in the state if not the top. Now, it is somewhere between 6-10. Recruiting is not what it used to be. I get loyalty and that Graham has done a tremendous job at Rice, but dont let this weekend fool you that this program is anywhere near what it used to be when a trip to the Super Regionals every year was a minimum.

Oh, go away.
05-29-2017 01:47 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-29-2017 09:29 AM)austinowl73 Wrote:  This was an amazing coaching effort. One might pick around the edges (this batting order/that; this rotation/that) but but keeping the team headed in direction of success when when it sure looked like all was lost -- that was a great effort. Someone posted it was like keeping the Titanis afloat after the iceberg -- -- nice turn of a phrase.

Restructuring the batting order (moving Warren and Wunderlich to the bottom, and inserting Dunlap as DH) is precisely what got the offense going. Why it took so long for The OG to make those moves is the head-scratcher.
05-29-2017 02:27 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-29-2017 01:47 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 01:41 PM)AggieOwl01 Wrote:  Guys, that was a very nice run this weekend! But the program is not what it used to be. Rice used to be one of the top 2-3 programs in the state if not the top. Now, it is somewhere between 6-10. Recruiting is not what it used to be. I get loyalty and that Graham has done a tremendous job at Rice, but dont let this weekend fool you that this program is anywhere near what it used to be when a trip to the Super Regionals every year was a minimum.

Oh, go away.

Another sig name for EMV?
05-29-2017 02:28 PM
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

No, AggieOwl01 is a long time, high quality poster.

Just because we have had a good run doesn't mean that the questions within the program don't need to be addressed.
05-29-2017 02:39 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(05-29-2017 02:39 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  No, AggieOwl01 is a long time, high quality poster.

Just because we have had a good run doesn't mean that the questions within the program don't need to be addressed.

Absolutely. We need someone who can turn this team around, win the conference tournament, and get to the regionals.
05-29-2017 03:42 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(05-29-2017 03:42 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 02:39 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  No, AggieOwl01 is a long time, high quality poster.

Absolutely. We need someone who can turn this team around, win the conference tournament, and get to the regionals.

I'd prefer to not have to win the conference tournament to make it to the NCAA tourney though. There are still plenty of questions about the program but I'm fine with focusing on the second season until it's over.
05-29-2017 03:47 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-29-2017 03:47 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 03:42 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  

I'd prefer to not have to win the conference tournament to make it to the NCAA tourney though. There are still plenty of questions about the program but I'm fine with focusing on the second season until it's over.

I may be in the minority here, but for the first time since I've been following Rice Baseball (dating back to around 1997) whatever happens in the post-season is gravy, and I won't be disappointed (even with a 2 and Q). What this team has accomplished playing virtually the last 2 months in survival mode-- and keeping our post-seasons steak alive-- makes this season a success. I've never been prouder of a team.
05-29-2017 03:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.