Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How are Refs chosen for Independents
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
My understanding about how refs are chosen for Independents could be wrong, so have to ask, how are they chosen.

It was my understanding the university decides which conference refs to use. In our, UMass, case it's American refs. There is a caveat for P5 teams as it seems. Even thou it's your home game, the P5 teams contract in to use their refs.

--- revised adding this last line ---
Regardless if the visiting team brings it's refs, the official in charge for replays (replay booth) is from your chosen conference.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2017 02:29 PM by Steve1981.)
05-28-2017 10:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: How are Refs chosen for Independents
Liberty from the sounds of it will be also getting American refs.
05-28-2017 10:06 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

idk about that. Obviously Notre Dame runs with the ACC. BYU is the next longest running independent so will be interesting to hear who they use for home game refs.
05-28-2017 10:54 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(05-28-2017 10:00 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  My understanding about how refs are chosen for Independents could be wrong, so have to ask, how are they chosen.

It was my understanding the university decides which conference refs to use. In our, UMass, case it's American refs. There is a caveat for P5 teams as it seems. Even thou it's your home game, the P5 teams contract in to use their refs.
In P5 vs. P5 games, the conference of the visiting team usually supplies the officials.
05-28-2017 11:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tribe_pride Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M
(05-28-2017 10:54 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  idk about that. Obviously Notre Dame runs with the ACC. BYU is the next longest running independent so will be interesting to hear who they use for home game refs.

Army is actually next longest running Independent.
05-28-2017 11:58 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(05-28-2017 11:58 AM)tribe_pride Wrote:  
(05-28-2017 10:54 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  idk about that. Obviously Notre Dame runs with the ACC. BYU is the next longest running independent so will be interesting to hear who they use for home game refs.

Army is actually next longest running Independent.

Yup, my error. Who do they use for home refs?
05-28-2017 12:37 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
We bring our refs to away non conference games. I think against BYU we supply the refs.
05-28-2017 04:32 PM
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
BYU uses refs from the MWC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
05-28-2017 04:40 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Historically, ND used the refs from the conference of the opposing team at home games, since it had no such thing of its own.
05-29-2017 08:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LibertyOrangeman Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty, SU
I believe Liberty and the Big South use ACC refs. I imagine that would continue to be the case for Liberty due to our proximity and relationships with ACC schools and the Big South. The real question for my ignorance is what rules do they go by since every conference has slightly different rules?
05-29-2017 08:51 AM
Advertisement

Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(05-29-2017 08:51 AM)LibertyOrangeman Wrote:  I believe Liberty and the Big South use ACC refs. I imagine that would continue to be the case for Liberty due to our proximity and relationships with ACC schools and the Big South. The real question for my ignorance is what rules do they go by since every conference has slightly different rules?

What rules are different?
05-29-2017 09:20 AM
ManleyPointer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: BYU
BYU uses B12 refs:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyuspo...fullpage=1

I thought the normal convention was that the away team provides refs in OOC games. Bowls have a neutral ref.
05-29-2017 01:16 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(05-29-2017 01:16 PM)ManleyPointer Wrote:  BYU uses B12 refs:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsbyuspo...fullpage=1

I thought the normal convention was that the away team provides refs in OOC games. Bowls have a neutral ref.

Thanks for the link and think the official in the replay booth is very important. Not positive this article specific address it but could assume it's the Big 12 official for all home games. Here the officiating crew and the replay both from the old Big East called this missed PAT good. Not much you can do for away games, but you need to have your chosen conference official calling it in the replay booth.

We had a home game with opposing refs call the game, call a pass in the end zone an incomplete pass. The American ref in the replay booth reviewed and over ruled them as a touch down.

Quote:However, BYU has an agreement with the Big 12 to officiate games where the contract calls for BYU to choose, or assign, the officials. Every play in every such game is reviewed by the Big 12's supervisor of officials.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2017 02:30 PM by Steve1981.)
05-29-2017 02:11 PM
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

UMass hopes to land in the AAC some day.
Perhaps BYU hopes to land in the B12.

So curious in the conference refs chosen by Liberty and New Mexico.
Would think Liberty would chose CUSA and New Mexico State the MWC.
05-29-2017 02:47 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(05-29-2017 08:51 AM)LibertyOrangeman Wrote:  I believe Liberty and the Big South use ACC refs. I imagine that would continue to be the case for Liberty due to our proximity and relationships with ACC schools and the Big South. The real question for my ignorance is what rules do they go by since every conference has slightly different rules?

Pretty sure at one time the ACC had a partnership with the SoCon, Big South, SIAC, CIAA, and SAC in regards to training and coordinating football officials.

EDIT - I decided to go check and I can definitely say that at least as late as 2015 the ACC and the Big South were working together.

http://www.theacc.com/news/Apply-ACC-Football-Official

Quote:For those interested in becoming an Atlantic Coast Conference and Big South Conference football official, applications are accepted and reviewed only January 1st to February 15th of each calendar year. Minimum experience criteria for consideration is five years of high school officiating experience PLUS five years of NCAA football officiating experience at ANY level.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2017 04:12 PM by Kaplony.)
05-29-2017 04:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.