Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sam Houston statue in Hermann Park causing controversy
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
Sam Houston statue in Hermann Park causing controversy
"HOUSTON - The starting point was a Facebook post by a group called Texas Antifa.

The post alleges the Sam Houston Memorial's so-called demise will begin on June 10."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/sam-ho...m=kprc_mhd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
05-27-2017 06:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Sam Houston statue in Hermann Park causing controversy
(05-27-2017 06:59 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  "HOUSTON - The starting point was a Facebook post by a group called Texas Antifa.

The post alleges the Sam Houston Memorial's so-called demise will begin on June 10."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/sam-ho...m=kprc_mhd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Surprised they aren't starting with the Dick Dowling statue at the other end of the park. They already took his name off a middle school.

Prior to the outbreak of the Civil War, Dowling had made a name for himself as an able and successful entrepreneur. Among other things, he and had been involved with a predominantly Irish militia company which served a more social than military role in Houston society. On Secession, this militia company was mustered straight into the Confederate Army, with Dowling himself being elected First Lieutenant. Composed primarily of Houston Irish, many of them clients from his saloons, this unit named themselves the "Jefferson Davis Guards" in honor of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, who had been in Texas as a young officer in the pre-war Union Army and was remembered for his prowess and leadership skills. The Davis Guards were initially part of a Texas State Troops/Confederate expedition sent to take over Union Army forts and arsenals along the border with Mexico; the expedition was successfully completed without a shot being fired....

On September 8, 1863 a Union Navy flotilla of some 22 gunboats and transports with 5,000 men accompanied by cavalry and artillery arrived off the mouth of Sabine Pass. The plan of invasion was sound, but monumentally mismanaged. Four of the flanking gunboats were to steam up the pass at speed and draw the fire of the fort, two in each channel, a tactic which had been used successfully in subduing the defensive fortifications of Mobile and New Orleans prior to this, when gunboats disabled the forts at close range with their own guns. This time, though, Dowling's artillery drills paid off as the Confederates poured a rapid and withering fire onto the incoming gunboats, scoring several direct hits, disabling and capturing two, while the others retreated in disarray. The rest of the flotilla retreated from the mouth of the pass and returned ignominiously to New Orleans, leaving the disabled ships with no option but to surrender to Dowling. With a command of just 47 men, Lieut. Dowling had thwarted an attempted invasion of Texas, in the process capturing two gunboats, some 350 prisoners and a large quantity of supplies and munitions.[3]
The Confederate government offered its gratitude and admiration to Dowling, now promoted to Major, and his unit, as a result of their battlefield prowess[4] . In gratitude, the ladies of Houston presented the unit with specially struck medals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_W._Dowling
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 07:05 AM by bullet.)
05-27-2017 07:03 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

Once again, as with removing the poet Sidney Lanier's name from a school, the SJWs of Houston display their complete ignorance of history.

Sam Houston had a Cherokee name as he was friends with the Cherokee and would stay with them. It was a later Texas president, Lamar, who drove the Cherokee from Texas, where many settled after being forced out of Georgia.

He also strongly opposed secession. He refused to cooperate and was removed from the Governor's office by pro-secessionists. Lincoln did offer him troops to try to keep his post, but he also refused that.
05-27-2017 07:07 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

This is pretty much on a par with going after George Washington.
05-27-2017 07:10 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(05-27-2017 07:10 AM)bullet Wrote:  This is pretty much on a par with going after George Washington.

Which I predicted in the other thread.
05-27-2017 07:13 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-27-2017 07:07 AM)bullet Wrote:  Once again, as with removing the poet Sidney Lanier's name from a school, the SJWs of Houston display their complete ignorance of history.

Sam Houston had a Cherokee name as he was friends with the Cherokee and would stay with them. It was a later Texas president, Lamar, who drove the Cherokee from Texas, where many settled after being forced out of Georgia.

He also strongly opposed secession. He refused to cooperate and was removed from the Governor's office by pro-secessionists. Lincoln did offer him troops to try to keep his post, but he also refused that.

Interesting. Thanks for the history lesson. I knew who Houston was but little else.
05-27-2017 07:46 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
This falls into the category of "Don't Mess with Texas".

This will not happen. Sam Houston was the setting Governor of Texas when the Civil War began. He refused to secede, and was removed from office. Basically, he showed up one day, and was not allowed into the capital.

The Tejanos (original Spanish settlers) are only Hispanics that could possibly have an issue with Houston. They fought with the Texians against Santa Anna and were instrumental in the formation of the government. After Texas won her independence, many were run off their land, out of government, and some even out of Texas. Even so, Texas has monuments to some of these Tejanos too.

I'll be very clear... Hispanics that have migrated to Texas over the last 181 years, have no business complaining about Texas history that predates their coming here.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 08:19 AM by Side Show Joe.)
05-27-2017 08:18 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Give an inch, they predictably try to take a mile. Thanks for kicking off this nonsense, New Orleans. Next they'll call to bull dose the Alamo.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 10:22 AM by Kronke.)
05-27-2017 10:17 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
"Removing confederate memorials won't lead to this kind of stuff" they said.
"That's a slippery slope fallacy" they said.
"You're a bigot" they said.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 10:33 AM by EigenEagle.)
05-27-2017 10:32 AM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
05-27-2017 10:45 AM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(05-27-2017 07:13 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 07:10 AM)bullet Wrote:  This is pretty much on a par with going after George Washington.

Which I predicted in the other thread.
That will eventually happen, yes.

The Confederates and early Texans are viewed as easier targets, so they are drawing the attention for now.
05-27-2017 10:55 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

http://www.history.com/news/history-list...am-houston

A quick list of facts about Sam Houston.
05-27-2017 11:05 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
This is Cultural And Historical white washing and Genocide.

This is the best way to become "nothing" except for what-ever it is the government wants to tell you that you are.

No individualism .. no sense of pride.. nothing

Also Sam Houston was born in Va.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 07:43 PM by South Carolina Duke.)
05-27-2017 07:42 PM
Advertisement

cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
Snowflakes gotta snowflake
05-28-2017 03:19 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Guess They will tear down the Alamo next.
05-28-2017 03:31 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(05-28-2017 03:31 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Guess They will tear down the Alamo next.

No.

The Alamo was first built at its current site in 1724 by Spanish missionaries. Yes it is famous for the battle that took place there in 1836, but it has an older history to Tejanos. One that is equally important.

The Texas government will not allow cities to remove our history. This isn't Louisiana.
05-28-2017 04:12 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-27-2017 08:18 AM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  This falls into the category of "Don't Mess with Texas".

This will not happen. Sam Houston was the setting Governor of Texas when the Civil War began. He refused to secede, and was removed from office. Basically, he showed up one day, and was not allowed into the capital.

The Tejanos (original Spanish settlers) are only Hispanics that could possibly have an issue with Houston. They fought with the Texians against Santa Anna and were instrumental in the formation of the government. After Texas won her independence, many were run off their land, out of government, and some even out of Texas. Even so, Texas has monuments to some of these Tejanos too.

I'll be very clear... Hispanics that have migrated to Texas over the last 181 years, have no business complaining about Texas history that predates their coming here.

Exactly. He won the battle of San Jacinto, which gave Texas its independence from Mexico. The city the statue stands in was literally named after him. The statue isnt going anywhere. Besides, he obviously had moved to the point where he wasn't a big fan of slavery or the succession movement by the Civil War. History is history. Our fore fathers were not perfect---but that doesn't mean they didn't accomplish great things.

As for the civil war issues---I get the symbolism problems----but the reality is----that war happened. People died on both sides fighting on American soil and the vast majority of people on both sides were not slave owners. Frankly, at the most basic level---most, generals and privates alike, fought believing they were protecting their loved ones back home. Its a lot like acting as if people fighting in Vietnam gave a flying fig about the domino theory. They were just doing what they were told. To them, they were fighting for apple pie and the American way. I doubt it was much different in the Civil War. Removing the markers and monuments isnt going to change history. Better that we remember that war, it's cause, it's cost----and create a society that never allows such a thing to be necessary again.

Today, in my opinion, we as a nation have bigger fish to fry that trying to scrape open 150 year old wounds.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 10:03 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-28-2017 09:56 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(05-28-2017 09:56 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Today, in my opinion, we as a nation have bigger fish to fry than trying to scrape open 150 year old wounds.
We may wish these kinds of disputes would somehow "go away", but they won't. To the contrary, they're just getting started. The list of people whose historical memory the Thought Police want to obliterate is quite long, and they won't quit until either (a.) they get their way, or (b.) suffer the kind of repeated political defeats, over and over again, that cause them to back down. Neither one of those options will be quick or pleasant.
05-29-2017 12:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.