Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UCSD Chancellor: CSUB is likely needed for us to join Big West
Bookmark and Share
jdgaucho Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCSB
UCSD Chancellor: CSUB is likely needed for us to join Big West
UCSD Chancellor Pradeep Khosla says his impression from the Cal State bloc is that Cal State Bakersfield should be added if UCSD is to get into the Big West.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news...ign=buffer

Take this for what it's worth

If you look at the (Big West vote), I’m told, the UC chancellors voted yes and the Cal State chancellors voted no. And what I’m given to understand is that the Cal State leaders believe that Cal State Bakersfield should be admitted if UC San Diego is voted in.I’m also told that, in the past, Bakersfield’s request to be admitted into the Big West was not approved.

I’m a pretty egalitarian, inclusive guy. My view is let both institutions be admitted. We are not doing this for the edification of the chancellor or the institution. We are doing this for these young men and women who are students. It’s not like we are going to make millions and millions of dollars. All of these campuses are not in big TV viewing areas.
05-26-2017 03:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

ThunderDan49 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lopes
RE: UCSD Chancellor: CSUB is likely needed for us to join Big West
(05-26-2017 03:12 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  UCSD Chancellor Pradeep Khosla says his impression from the Cal State bloc is that Cal State Bakersfield should be added if UCSD is to get into the Big West.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news...ign=buffer

Take this for what it's worth

If you look at the (Big West vote), I’m told, the UC chancellors voted yes and the Cal State chancellors voted no. And what I’m given to understand is that the Cal State leaders believe that Cal State Bakersfield should be admitted if UC San Diego is voted in.I’m also told that, in the past, Bakersfield’s request to be admitted into the Big West was not approved.

I’m a pretty egalitarian, inclusive guy. My view is let both institutions be admitted. We are not doing this for the edification of the chancellor or the institution. We are doing this for these young men and women who are students. It’s not like we are going to make millions and millions of dollars. All of these campuses are not in big TV viewing areas.

Well they are right about one thing, they don't have very big TV markets. SD would be the biggest one and even that market is shrinking with the departure of the Chargers.
05-26-2017 04:06 PM
jdgaucho Offline
1st String

Still don't believe it would stop there. One more after that for an even 12, and one who's outside California...
05-26-2017 04:44 PM
jdgaucho Offline
1st String

Suffice to say, doesn't look like UCSD is going to entertain thoughts of joining the WAC. That might change in a year though, if the status quo is in place.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 04:45 PM by jdgaucho.)
05-26-2017 04:45 PM

SDHornet Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Sac State
And the obvious CSU v UC politics kept, and will keep, UCSD out. It would be stupid of the CSU's to give up their numbers.

Bako has done well in the WAC, do they really want into the BW as badly as they did when they were rejected?

And JD, just stop with the BW going with a school outside of CA. That ain't happening in the BW Cali bus league.
05-27-2017 02:11 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Texas State
(05-27-2017 02:11 PM)SDHornet Wrote:  And the obvious CSU v UC politics kept, and will keep, UCSD out. It would be stupid of the CSU's to give up their numbers.

Bako has done well in the WAC, do they really want into the BW as badly as they did when they were rejected?

And JD, just stop with the BW going with a school outside of CA. That ain't happening in the BW Cali bus league.

All good points, especially the last one. GCU is not going to the Big West. UCSD to the Big West made sense because they were an academic fit in a market that the Big West was not in. They gave the BW a 10th team. If the cost is allegedly adding CSUB as well, it is not going to happen.
05-27-2017 06:42 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
Apparently the loss of Pacific plays a part in this conversation. With Pacific still in the BWC, adding CSUB along with UCSD seems to be a more realistic concept. Now, with an odd number of schools, the BWC has to look beyond the California borders for a school or wait for another (non UC nor CSU) California D2 program to become D1 ready (Cal Poly Pomona?). The BWC could look toward adding either GCU, CBU, or Seattle U. but those schools seemed to be more focused on joining the WCC in the future; and frankly they are a better fit for that conference as private Christian universities.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 02:06 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
05-28-2017 02:04 PM

ThunderDan49 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lopes
(05-28-2017 02:04 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Apparently the loss of Pacific plays a part in this conversation. With Pacific still in the BWC, adding CSUB along with UCSD seems to be a more realistic concept. Now, with an odd number of schools, the BWC has to look beyond the California borders for a school or wait for another (non UC nor CSU) California D2 program to become D1 ready (Cal Poly Pomona?). The BWC could look toward adding either GCU, CBU, or Seattle U. but those schools seemed to be more focused on joining the WCC in the future; and frankly they are a better fit for that conference as private Christian universities.

The problem with Pomona is that it would also throw off the CSU/UC balance that BW wants.
05-28-2017 06:21 PM
Lopes87 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GCU
I can't see the BW wanting to pick up a private school no matter how good they might be and the WCC won't do much until they think BYU and Gonzaga are ready to jump elsewhere. I say let the WAC take over some of these lesser schools from the Big Sky to get to ten.
05-28-2017 06:41 PM
SJHornet Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Sac State, USC
I suppose another option would be Hawaii leaving at some point. If they go full time MWC or some other scenario where they leave, it opens up for a UC/CSU combo.
05-28-2017 08:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.