Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Martial Law - How Would You React If Martial Law Was Declared?
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
Martial Law - How Would You React If Martial Law Was Declared?
I am in the Philippines on the Island of Mindanao in the city of Davao where the President of the Philippines has just declared Martial Law on the Island due to Maute and Abu Shayyaf (ISIS) terrorist have been orchestrating attacks. The Maute terrorist is responsible for the bombing in Davao last year. Government officials were seeking a high-end terrorist operative in the city of Marawi when fighting between government officials and the terrorist broke out. Schools have been burned down, a jail, and churches also burned down and Christian hostages have been taken. There have been reports of Christians that have escaped the fighting that these terrorist were asking the religion of their hostages. Also, hospitals in the area have come under attack from the terrorist. In response, President Duterte declared the whole island including Davao City which I am residing at moment under martial law. http://news.abs-cbn.com/life/05/24/17/pa...agmamaneho

The city is also in lockdown http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/05/24/17/fr...inday-sara

Many in Mindanao believe it was timely and necessary in order to keep the terrorist from taking control. Of course, there are those few who completely dislike the idea. For me, I have never been in this kind of situation before, but some of the older Filipinos were under martial law during the Marco years in the 80's remember Martial Law well. I am indifferent because I understand why many support it, but at the same time can be used to do harm if the President becomes power hungry. I don't think he is that way because he is a native of Mindanao.

So if the USA declared Martial Law, how would you react?
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 04:11 AM by hburg.)
05-24-2017 03:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
RE: Martial Law - How Would You React If Martial Law Was Declared?
Guess it depends on the situation, not giving up my means to protection regardless though.
05-24-2017 04:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Cincinnati went into a mini martial law in 2001 due to riots. You had to be off the streets by 6:00 each evening unless you were heading to work or you were subject to arrest. It was strange and was overkill to handle what was essentially an event limited to a small handful of neighborhoods.

Nationally the situation causing martial law would have to be on a level never before seen. Like a nearly extinction level event of an outbreak or natural catastrophe or coordinated EMP or nuclear attack.

Cities or small regions are one thing but not sure it would ever be feasible in a country this size.
05-24-2017 05:14 AM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(05-24-2017 04:13 AM)DexterDevil Wrote:  Guess it depends on the situation, not giving up my means to protection regardless though.
Agree. If there was legitimate reason like terror attacks all over the place, I would fall in line I'm sure. I would have been fine with martial law on 9/11 as long as it was lifted quickly. If it was put in place indefinitely, or cancelled an election, that would lead me toward resistance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
05-24-2017 05:25 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

Couldn't happen in the US.

There are only 15k Fed, state and local police in his country.
05-24-2017 07:22 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I'd be really glad that we have the Second Amendment.

That is, of course, assuming we still had it.
05-24-2017 07:27 AM
Advertisement

Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
Duterte's about to show us how to deal with Muzzies.
05-24-2017 07:31 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
I'm out in the sticks, family farm is on navigable waters, I know how to fish. Whatever the reason for martial law, I'd be in a pretty good situation. In the rare case "they" were coming for firearms, no chance in hell they could find them nor get their hands on them.
05-24-2017 07:45 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Depends on the conditions of Martial law.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 07:50 AM by shere khan.)
05-24-2017 07:49 AM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-24-2017 07:22 AM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Couldn't happen in the US.

You're forgetting about the National Guard. Any nationwide implementation of Martial Law would start with the Guard being called up and Federalized. If a state declared Martial Law it would be the same on the statewide level.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 08:01 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
05-24-2017 08:00 AM
hburg Offline

(05-24-2017 07:31 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  Duterte's about to show us how to deal with Muzzies.

I hope so. Many don't realize how Abu Sayyaf kidnaps and beheads people for money and how the Maute Terrorist bombed Davao City last year that killed 15 innocent people. The big issue with martial law on the Mindanao island is the threat to peace between the government and Moro (Islamic government), the NPA (Communist), and several others. Mindanao is ver complex. If they see martial law as a threat to their existence, wants and needs, the island could dissolve into a full-scale battleground. it is a calculated risk that President Duterte is willing to take. Will see how it plays out soon.
05-24-2017 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
(05-24-2017 03:58 AM)hburg Wrote:  I am in the Philippines on the Island of Mindanao in the city of Davao where the President of the Philippines has just declared Martial Law on the Island due to Maute and Abu Shayyaf (ISIS) terrorist have been orchestrating attacks. The Maute terrorist is responsible for the bombing in Davao last year. Government officials were seeking a high-end terrorist operative in the city of Marawi when fighting between government officials and the terrorist broke out. Schools have been burned down, a jail, and churches also burned down and Christian hostages have been taken. There have been reports of Christians that have escaped the fighting that these terrorist were asking the religion of their hostages. Also, hospitals in the area have come under attack from the terrorist. In response, President Duterte declared the whole island including Davao City which I am residing at moment under martial law. http://news.abs-cbn.com/life/05/24/17/pa...agmamaneho

The city is also in lockdown http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/05/24/17/fr...inday-sara

Many in Mindanao believe it was timely and necessary in order to keep the terrorist from taking control. Of course, there are those few who completely dislike the idea. For me, I have never been in this kind of situation before, but some of the older Filipinos were under martial law during the Marco years in the 80's remember Martial Law well. I am indifferent because I understand why many support it, but at the same time can be used to do harm if the President becomes power hungry. I don't think he is that way because he is a native of Mindanao.

So if the USA declared Martial Law, how would you react?

Depends on the reason, conditions, and duration..... I would always be wary of it but if there is a legit "we just need a day or two of order to catch our breath, and the reason is good....
05-24-2017 08:14 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

(05-24-2017 08:00 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  
(05-24-2017 07:22 AM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Couldn't happen in the US.

You're forgetting about the National Guard. Any nationwide implementation of Martial Law would start with the Guard being called up and Federalized. If a state declared Martial Law it would be the same on the statewide level.

You are forgetting that the armed populace of this country has more rifles that are the same platform 5.56, just without select fire. So yeah, bring that !
05-24-2017 08:22 AM
hburg Offline

I guess the UK and the Philippines have something in common, martial law (even though the UK doesn't call that, but they have deployed troops).
05-24-2017 08:53 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Many countries have national police forces also, but yeah the National Guard could handle martial law in some aspects. Was that the case after Katrina?
05-24-2017 09:12 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(05-24-2017 03:58 AM)hburg Wrote:  So if the USA declared Martial Law, how would you react?

It would depend on the reasons behind the declaration and the conditions of it. If I agreed with the reasoning and conditions we would shelter in place.

If I didn't agree with either I would load up and go to our hunt camp. It's isolated, stocked with canned goods and has both a large LP gas generator and a number of small gas generators if power was lost/cut. Being hunting property there is game available as well as fish in the ponds and streams.
05-24-2017 04:43 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Martial law you say? Considering I live out in the country I wouldn't be nearly as worried as those that live in the dry powder-keg of violence that are American cities. Although I wouldn't be too comfortable or any safer long term, I imagine. But I'd get a fair head start.

I feel bad for my friend who owns a supermarket in the city. We talked about it once over beers - he'd be cleaned out after day three of true civil unrest. I have approached him numerous times about selling an opening a supermarket out by me, but the current store has his family's name on the marquee and according to him it would cost $4.5M to start a full service grocery store from scratch. $2.5M for the land, building and construction and $2M for inventory. He's stuck.
05-24-2017 05:00 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Suburbs here. Not a prepper but a reasonable amount of supplies on hand for emergencies makes more and more sense to me. I think we'd be ok sheltering in place for a reasonable amount of time if things went sideways for a spell. Firearms and ammo would not be an issue unless it was a zombie apocalypse. Probably have about a few weeks of food in dry storage with about double that in water. Bought a 275 gallon IBC water tote for th garage not long after a tornado hit a neighborhood 4 blocks away from mine this year. Too close for comfort. Hardest thing about setting aside supplies is having to build in the possibility of helping folks in the neighborhood we have done life with that may not be prepared for anything more than a three day weekend power outage.

If the SHTF in a big way, if the highways are still open we'd be in the RV in the woods in 90 minutes.
05-24-2017 05:34 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(05-24-2017 05:34 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Hardest thing about setting aside supplies is having to build in the possibility of helping folks in the neighborhood we have done life with that may not be prepared for anything more than a three day weekend power outage.

That's IMO the biggest reason to prepare a "bug out" plan. Far too many people don't have the ability to survive more than a few days and will become desperate.

Quote:If the SHTF in a big way, if the highways are still open we'd be in the RV in the woods in 90 minutes.
I've scoped out routes to both the hunt club and the duck hunting camp (secondary location, not as many resources) that totally avoid major highways except when you have to cross them. My reasoning is there isn't going to be anywhere near enough manpower to do anything other than to set up checkpoints at major intersections, and if it's civil unrest causing me to leave there's a far better chance of running into trouble where the hordes feel they will have more targets.
05-24-2017 05:43 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
If it's minor luckily peanut butter is one of my favorite foods. Ha ha. Tiny stream across a field from my house too. If SHTF I would set up camp at my other property (6 acres bordering a farm and other large lots). It also borders a decent sized river. I'm not a hunter but I figure I can kill to eat. I know the river has small fish and crawdads too.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 05:55 PM by Hood-rich.)
05-24-2017 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.