ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What happened to ODU Volleyball and Softball?
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
What happened to ODU Volleyball and Softball?
Are these sports still in the works? I know there are new softball fields in the master plan but has anyone heard anything in the past few years? I think we could be competitive in both once they get started.
05-23-2017 02:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
RE: What happened to ODU Volleyball and Softball?
I went back to the original article, it did say volleyball would be started once the practice facility was finished. So, if it's going to happen, we should hear something in the coming months.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ol...1fe5c.html
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 02:47 PM by Monarchist13.)
05-23-2017 02:46 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

The article says the master plan has the softball fields next to the new football stadium, back when the stadium was going to be on Powhatan. I wonder where it will be now?
05-23-2017 02:53 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

Anyone have a clue how close or far away we are from being Title IV compliant?
05-23-2017 03:33 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
For reasons I do not know we are somehow making it work now. I have asked some of the right people on a couple of occasions and been told there are not currently any issues with compliance. I also get the impression softball is not happening but vollyball will now that the "Mitch" is open leaving the old b-ball practice court open. As always those who have better info feel free to jump in.
05-23-2017 03:42 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(05-23-2017 03:42 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  For reasons I do not know we are somehow making it work now. I have asked some of the right people on a couple of occasions and been told there are not currently any issues with compliance. I also get the impression softball is not happening but vollyball will now that the "Mitch" is open leaving the old b-ball practice court open. As always those who have better info feel free to jump in.

Thanks for clueing in the rest of us. Figure the rowing team has a lot to do with it. I was surprised when I heard they had about 75 team members.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 06:23 PM by Monarchist13.)
05-23-2017 06:22 PM
Advertisement

devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
(05-23-2017 06:22 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(05-23-2017 03:42 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  For reasons I do not know we are somehow making it work now. I have asked some of the right people on a couple of occasions and been told there are not currently any issues with compliance. I also get the impression softball is not happening but vollyball will now that the "Mitch" is open leaving the old b-ball practice court open. As always those who have better info feel free to jump in.

Thanks for clueing in the rest of us. Figure the rowing team has a lot to do with it. I was surprised when I heard they had about 75 team members.

Last I heard, which was a awhile ago, the rowing team is indeed keeping us eligible.
05-23-2017 06:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Monarchist13 Offline

So, I didn't realize this but we're the only CUSA program without track and field. Figured at least one other program didn't sponsor the sport. But it's not entirely surprising since it's affordable and helps boost the football program.
05-24-2017 08:31 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

(05-24-2017 08:31 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  So, I didn't realize this but we're the only CUSA program without track and field. Figured at least one other program didn't sponsor the sport. But it's not entirely surprising since it's affordable and helps boost the football program.

Track is affordable, but takes up a ton of space and we took the track out of Foreman Field.
05-24-2017 08:56 AM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
On T&F...

We were high-level back in the day with significant talent sent to the 84 LA Olympic Games. That was back when ODU athletic pride and ambition was very high!
05-24-2017 10:08 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(05-24-2017 08:56 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  
(05-24-2017 08:31 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  So, I didn't realize this but we're the only CUSA program without track and field. Figured at least one other program didn't sponsor the sport. But it's not entirely surprising since it's affordable and helps boost the football program.

Track is affordable, but takes up a ton of space and we took the track out of Foreman Field.

Not to mention, bringing it back would result in the cutting of another men's sport, which I'm not advocating for. Just thought it was interesting we were the only program without the sport.
05-24-2017 10:29 AM
Advertisement

ODU_NYG Offline
All American

We used to have mens and women's cross country. In fact I was going to try and walk on to the mens team when I was a freshman, but at some point during the summer before my freshman year they cut the program and added women's soccer. This was in 1993...The women's CC team lasted a few years longer, but ultimately got cut as well. Maybe around the time they added womens golf, but I'm not certain if that timeline matches (I didn't look it up).

What I don't know is whether or not those athletes were able to compete in indoor and outdoor track distance events.
05-24-2017 12:21 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

Cross country thats a sports you can do on the cheap. I think Women's Volleyball at ODU is not too far down the road.
05-24-2017 02:30 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(05-24-2017 02:30 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Cross country thats a sports you can do on the cheap. I think Women's Volleyball at ODU is not too far down the road.

No sport in CUSA can be done on the cheap, traveling to Timbuktu and back twice a season is obnoxious.
05-24-2017 02:53 PM
MonarchCAM Offline
Special Teams

(05-24-2017 02:53 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(05-24-2017 02:30 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Cross country thats a sports you can do on the cheap. I think Women's Volleyball at ODU is not too far down the road.

No sport in CUSA can be done on the cheap, traveling to Timbuktu and back twice a season is obnoxious.
If they're good, couldn't they just run there?
05-24-2017 02:54 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(05-24-2017 02:54 PM)MonarchCAM Wrote:  

01-ncaabbs
05-24-2017 03:02 PM
Advertisement

ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(05-24-2017 03:02 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(05-24-2017 02:54 PM)MonarchCAM Wrote:  

01-ncaabbs

As someone who has been a runner for more than 1/2 of his life, this one is more accurate when I hear something like that - 03-nutkick
05-24-2017 03:14 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there basically no interaction between CUSA teams until the conference meet? It's not like they have a conference season of dual or quad meets; it's mostly invitationals, right? So ODU wouldn't have to go to Texas or Louisiana unless they wanted to.
05-24-2017 03:29 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

Another question: why would ODU spend the money to field more sports if we are already compliant with Title IX? Not that I don't want more sports, I want as much as I can get, but if they are no longer required to are we sure Volleyball is going to be added?
05-24-2017 04:08 PM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

(05-24-2017 04:08 PM)odu09 Wrote:  Another question: why would ODU spend the money to field more sports if we are already compliant with Title IX? Not that I don't want more sports, I want as much as I can get, but if they are no longer required to are we sure Volleyball is going to be added?

I remember there being a 10 year timeline for schools to meet Title IX compliance rules after moving from FCS to BCS.

I found a Aug. 2014 Charlotte Observer quote from Charlotte AD Judy Rose...

"Rose said there is no hard deadline for the new sports to be added, but the school must show that it is working toward that goal over a 10-year period."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/...rylink=cpy

This might explain why ODU is both currently compliant, and also planning to add more womens sports; at least volleyball.
05-24-2017 06:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.