Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mike Boone Set To Go Boom!
Bookmark and Share
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Mike Boone Set To Go Boom!
Damn't I want Boonie to have a big Senior year. I've loved this kid's talent and upside since he was in the backfield as a true frosh. He has all the tools to be successful as a runner and he looks even stronger on his cut frame from some recent pics/videos I've seen him in. If he has a solid year he will end up in some select company all-time for UC running backs. He currently stands 7th in rushing TD's all-time and seven more gets him tied 3rd overall with Isaiah Pead. 1,000 yards puts him 6th overall in rushing yards. Obviously, there are unknowns with the offense for the upcoming season and his health will also play a factor. Here are the others behind him on the roster (by class):

Mike Boone 5-10 205 SR
Chad Banschbach 5-9 203 SR
Taylor Boose 6-0 212 SO
Joshuwa Holloman 5-11 193 SO
Gerrid Doaks 6-0 206 FR
Hunter Gillespie 5-11 200 FR

Who will emerge as the key back-ups?

An article from last month:

Quote:Entering last year, explosive University of Cincinnati running back Mike Boone was the Bearcats’ career leader with 6.8 rushing yards per carry.

The 2016 season then became a nightmare. Boone never really got going, and a foot injury (turf toe) ended his season after nine games. UC finished 4-8 partially because of a punchless running game, as the Bearcats tied Rutgers for last nationally with only eight team rushing touchdowns.

This year, Boone is a senior and is getting his legs back under him. Boone hopes to show his progress at the annual spring game at Nippert Stadium on Friday at 7 p.m.

“I feel like myself again,” Boone said.

The old self was as electrifying as any running back UC ever has had.

Boone was pressed into duty as a true freshman in 2014, when primary backs Hosey Williams and Tion Green were injured. The results included a 212-yard rushing game for Boone against South Florida, and he finished the season as the UC rushing leader with 650 yards and nine touchdowns. Boone also led UC with an average of 6.4 yards per rush.

The 2015 season was more of the same. Playing in a committee system with Williams and Green, Boone finished second on the team in rushing with 749 yards and again scored nine touchdowns. He again led UC in yards per carry, at 7.2.

Fickell names QB leader as spring game nears
Green and Boone entered 2016 billed as Thunder and Lightning, with Green the power and Boone the speed. Yet, both Green and Boone scored only two rushing touchdowns all year. Part of that was on the offensive line, part on the backs, part on injuries. Green led the team with 743 yards rushing, but Boone rushed for only 388 yards and 3.7 yards per carry.

The powerfully built 5-foot-10, 205-pound Boone, from Macclenny, Florida, is eager to finish strong in his senior year. New UC coach Luke Fickell is bringing Boone along slowly, making sure Boone is fully healthy before the season starts Aug. 31 against Austin Peay.

“Mike is one of our best leaders,” Fickell said. “He brings energy every single day. He loves the game of football. He’s going to continue to play this game of football because he has a passion for it.”

The good-natured Boone realizes it is only spring ball, but like any player he is determined to get on the field.

“Every day I just come in and try to give my all, make sure my attitude is positive,” Boone said.

After three years of listening to his seniors, Boone has begun speaking up.

“I sat down and felt like I needed to be a more vocal leader this year," Boone said. "It’s my last year, and I’m a senior. I feel like vocal leadership will help me out, as well as the team.”

Fickell has noticed.

“He’s the guy that even though he’s not in, he’s the first guy out there,” Fickell said. “He’s the first guy cheering. He’s the first guy that’s picking up his teammates. To me, that’s what I look for in leaders.”

Booooooooone

05-22-2017 06:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

RE: Mike Boone Set To Go Boom!
2016 Highlights:

05-22-2017 06:11 PM
gerhard911 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats!
Wait, what? We had 2016 highlights?

05-22-2017 06:14 PM
mbj655 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
(05-22-2017 06:14 PM)gerhard911 Wrote:  Wait, what? We had 2016 highlights?

Blink and you'll miss them.

05-22-2017 06:49 PM
AeroCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
How 'bout 2015?

05-22-2017 07:19 PM
Advertisement

gerhard911 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats!
(05-22-2017 06:49 PM)mbj655 Wrote:  
(05-22-2017 06:14 PM)gerhard911 Wrote:  Wait, what? We had 2016 highlights?

Blink and you'll miss them.

I musta gone for a piss or a beer. Missed 'em all.

05-22-2017 08:45 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
We were the ones in the Washington Generals unis.

05-22-2017 08:51 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
You guys know about the gobearcats.com highlight reel of course... 03-lmfao at the one they did after the Memphis game (lost 34-7) where they literally showed ONE highlight. Last season p1ssed me off, yes, but that just cracked me up at the time.

05-22-2017 08:52 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
I think we are going to need to lean on Boone heavily this season. Always thought he was underutilized under T_____ but it seems like Fickell really values his ability and leadership.

05-23-2017 11:01 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Regarding the question in the OP, barring injury we will see Boone, Doaks and Boose get the majority of the carries IMHO. Boone will likely touch the ball a lot more than he has in the past couple of seasons.

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 11:05 AM by CliftonAve.)
05-23-2017 11:04 AM
marcuscan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats + UF
(05-23-2017 11:04 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Regarding the question in the OP, barring injury we will see Boone, Doaks and Boose get the majority of the carries IMHO. Boone will likely touch the ball a lot more than he has in the past couple of seasons.

Also, I expect him to get a LOT of passes this year. He has the hands, and if there's an ongoing issue with the OL, we'll want to find ways to get him the ball in space - which is the bedrock of spread offenses - in ways that aren't as dependent upon the OL holding up.

Get the ball to your best athlete.....i'd say he's about as good as we got on the offensive side of things.

mc

05-23-2017 11:19 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(05-23-2017 11:04 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Regarding the question in the OP, barring injury we will see Boone, Doaks and Boose get the majority of the carries IMHO. Boone will likely touch the ball a lot more than he has in the past couple of seasons.

Any insight Clifton on either Doaks or Boose? I have not a clue on their strengths or abilities.

05-23-2017 11:21 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(05-23-2017 11:19 AM)marcuscan Wrote:  

Also, I expect him to get a LOT of passes this year. He has the hands, and if there's an ongoing issue with the OL, we'll want to find ways to get him the ball in space - which is the bedrock of spread offenses - in ways that aren't as dependent upon the OL holding up.

Get the ball to your best athlete.....i'd say he's about as good as we got on the offensive side of things.

mc

+1 marcuscan. Boone was originally recruited as a wideout IIRC. He has good hands and the speed, vision and open field moves to take advantage of catching the ball out of the backfield. Running up the middle in a cloud of dust be damned! Now, if we were in the SEC and had a massive OL and running backs with oak tree legs then that would be an entirely different matter.

05-23-2017 11:26 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(05-23-2017 11:21 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Any insight Clifton on either Doaks or Boose? I have not a clue on their strengths or abilities.

Doaks will remind people of Mike Boone while Boose is more comparable to Tion Green. In fact one of the the guys on last year's staff told a group of us Mike Boone even made that comparison.

Doaks is built very similar to Boone and likewise played RB and at times WR in HS. He can run it inside and break tackles, yet is also capable of making guys miss outside.

Boose is the guy who can churns out the yards and move the chains.

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 12:47 PM by CliftonAve.)
05-23-2017 12:44 PM
scvanguard1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincy, Oklahoma
I wonder if the crowd will start going "Booooooooooone" or "Booooooooooose" depending on who is running? 03-lmfao

05-23-2017 02:12 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Some vids of Gerrid Doaks.

05-23-2017 07:08 PM
ThinkBigPine Offline
Dilly Dilly

I Root For: The Bearcats

Really looking forward to that RB rotation.

05-24-2017 06:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.