Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gill - does Gill go or stay
Bookmark and Share
NewTimes Offline
Back in the Sunshine State

I Root For: Dumb & Dumber
Interesting that with all the hoopla surrounding LU and the announcement of the FB schedule that there was zero mention of coach Gill. Not from JFJr. or Trump. No kidding or mention, zero, zilch. Is one to assume since no mention was made that Gill is feeling heat to better a 6-5 mark in the lowly BSC? As some stated he was a good fit to become coach at the time, is he the best fit as LU moves toward full FBS? Will he get a pass in 2018 and maybe 2019 playing the likes to ALL teams being superior? And what about 2017? If Gill goes less than 8-3 in 2017 is he secure? As LU moves to a full FS schedule the intensity increases to improve. Is Gill the man?
05-19-2017 07:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Ewglenn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
RE: Gill - does Gill go or stay
(05-19-2017 07:13 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  Interesting that with all the hoopla surrounding LU and the announcement of the FB schedule that there was zero mention of coach Gill. Not from JFJr. or Trump. No kidding or mention, zero, zilch. Is one to assume since no mention was made that Gill is feeling heat to better a 6-5 mark in the lowly BSC? As some stated he was a good fit to become coach at the time, is he the best fit as LU moves toward full FBS? Will he get a pass in 2018 and maybe 2019 playing the likes to ALL teams being superior? And what about 2017? If Gill goes less than 8-3 in 2017 is he secure? As LU moves to a full FS schedule the intensity increases to improve. Is Gill the man?

1) Gill is not going to be the Coach moving forward. 2 years max unless they start really winning 10-1.

2) y'all should have gotten Jamey Chadwell imo

3) I expect he will be gone after this season.
05-19-2017 10:23 AM
NewTimes Offline

(05-19-2017 10:23 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  
(05-19-2017 07:13 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  Interesting that with all the hoopla surrounding LU and the announcement of the FB schedule that there was zero mention of coach Gill. Not from JFJr. or Trump. No kidding or mention, zero, zilch. Is one to assume since no mention was made that Gill is feeling heat to better a 6-5 mark in the lowly BSC? As some stated he was a good fit to become coach at the time, is he the best fit as LU moves toward full FBS? Will he get a pass in 2018 and maybe 2019 playing the likes to ALL teams being superior? And what about 2017? If Gill goes less than 8-3 in 2017 is he secure? As LU moves to a full FS schedule the intensity increases to improve. Is Gill the man?

1) Gill is not going to be the Coach moving forward. 2 years max unless they start really winning 10-1.

2) y'all should have gotten Jamey Chadwell imo

3) I expect he will be gone after this season.
After consecutive mediocre seasons in the BSC without at least a playoff appearance, claiming another "Big South Conference Title", which is lame, is not enough. Don't know if 10-1 is needed, but I'm guessing 8-3 and a FCS playoff appearance or he's toast, especially with the FBS schedule looming in 2018. I elieve he has 2 years to go on his present contract, which likely is not an issue if he has another so so season.
05-19-2017 10:34 AM
SlyFox Online
Special Teams

Coach Gill is Liberty to the core and gets our mission. His response to BYD's A Sea of Red's editorial on all the spring departures encapsulates why he is the right man for us right now.

Click here for Gill Letter to A Sea of Red

As for Chadwell, the more we learn about what he was doing to win down at Chuck South the more comfortable I am in him not landing in Lynchburg. Great coach but I don't think we'd be reading what was in the above letter if he were running the show. That may be presumptuous, but that's my gut feeling.

And yes, the results need to improve.
05-19-2017 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

NewTimes Offline

(05-19-2017 11:11 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  Coach Gill is Liberty to the core and gets our mission. His response to BYD's A Sea of Red's editorial on all the spring departures encapsulates why he is the right man for us right now.

Click here for Gill Letter to A Sea of Red

As for Chadwell, the more we learn about what he was doing to win down at Chuck South the more comfortable I am in him not landing in Lynchburg. Great coach but I don't think we'd be reading what was in the above letter if he were running the show. That may be presumptuous, but that's my gut feeling.

And yes, the results need to improve.
Nice article by Gill. Seems everyone agrees he is a good man, and the right man when hired for Liberty. The question is not about his character but his ability to develop the program to a a higher level that FBS demands. I hope he has a strong 2017 that will support him in '18 and beyond. But the nature of his position, like all college coaches is to be a good person and a good coach and win. Good guys that don't win don't coach long. That's the business/fanatical side of college sports.
05-19-2017 04:10 PM
SlyFox Online
Special Teams

That's why my second sentence ends with those final two words. Hopefully he wins and the discussion becomes moot.
05-19-2017 04:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
army56mike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
There will be no more FCS playoffs for us. We aren't eligible.
05-19-2017 07:20 PM

Old Dominion Online
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Gill's letter is exactly what any coach in America would say. Nothing to see there.

"Lastly, I believe that there is no better place for a young man than a Christian university."

Isn't Baylor a "Christian " university?
05-19-2017 07:35 PM
army56mike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
HCTG's letter was very good. Yes it shares a message that most coaches share. It still contains the truth. And, I can see these words as truth based on Gill's character and actions.

I hope and trust that he will be successful at Liberty.

Re: the previous post, I don't know that Baylor is a Christian University. Not all schools that had that mission at one time remain so now, i.e.- SMU, TCU, BC, etc. In my experience there are very few Christ centered universities across the nation at any level, even if by name you would think so.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2017 08:08 PM by army56mike.)
05-19-2017 08:00 PM
Old Dominion Online
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(05-19-2017 08:00 PM)army56mike Wrote:  HCTG's letter was very good. Yes it shares a message that most coaches share. It still contains the truth. And, I can see these words as truth based on Gill's character and actions.

I hope and trust that he will be successful at Liberty.

Re: the previous post, I don't know that Baylor is a Christian University. Not all schools that had that mission at one time remain so now, i.e.- SMU, TCU, BC, etc. In my experience there are very few Christ centered universities across the nation at any level, even if by name you would think so.

Sounds pretty judgmental.
05-19-2017 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.