Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS SPORTS TO REMAIN HOME OF ANNUAL ARMY-NAVY FOOTBALL CLASSIC THROUGH 2028
msm96wolf Online
1st String

I Root For:
CBS SPORTS TO REMAIN HOME OF ANNUAL ARMY-NAVY FOOTBALL CLASSIC THROUGH 2028
https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-spor...w?id=47797

I thought this was supposed to be one of the feathers in the AAC's cap in geting a new deal. This really is surprising.
05-18-2017 11:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Attackcoog Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
RE: CBS SPORTS TO REMAIN HOME OF ANNUAL ARMY-NAVY FOOTBALL CLASSIC THROUGH 2028
Maybe I'll be wrong, but this looks like it takes a chunk out of the next AAC deal. That game was one of the primary reasons I felt there would be plenty of bidding interest for the AAC media rights. There will still be interest, but 50% of the Army-Navy game was a nice shiny object to draw in the bigger 3-letter network players.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2017 12:06 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-18-2017 12:04 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I said this on the AAC board: I thought that Navy was pretty clear that the Army-Navy Game was *always* going to be a completely separate deal for them and that was a contingency on agreeing to enter into the AAC. The separate TV deal for Navy's other home games was a different matter - it was understood that those would be rolled into the overall AAC conference TV package once the current contract expires. The Army-Navy Game, though, was ALWAYS going to be treated differently. (Of course, I also found it hypocritical that Navy's AD loudly complained about Boise State getting a special offer from the MWC when Navy knew that it was getting its own special offer of keeping all Army-Navy Game revenue.)
05-18-2017 12:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
I am happy with this. CBS does two things very well. The Masters Tournament and the Army-Navy game.
05-18-2017 12:07 PM

YNot Offline
1st String

I Root For: BYU
Well, at least the AAC will have rights to the Navy-Notre Dame game every other year...right?

That should at least get the AAC a deal that includes 4 OTA games every year.
05-18-2017 12:10 PM
Attackcoog Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(05-18-2017 12:05 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I said this on the AAC board: I thought that Navy was pretty clear that the Army-Navy Game was *always* going to be a completely separate deal for them and that was a contingency on agreeing to enter into the AAC. The separate TV deal for Navy's other home games was a different matter - it was understood that those would be rolled into the overall AAC conference TV package once the current contract expires. The Army-Navy Game, though, was ALWAYS going to be treated differently. (Of course, I also found it hypocritical that Navy's AD loudly complained about Boise State getting a special offer from the MWC when Navy knew that it was getting its own special offer of keeping all Army-Navy Game revenue.)

Except that Aresco has said multiple times in interviews that the Army-Navy game would be something that would help the next media deal. So--it may be that the revenue is shared....lol....or maybe he just misspoke...on multiple occasions....honestly, I dont think these people realize bulletin board guys are parsing their words to decipher contract terms....so we actually notice if details get exaggerated or conflict with previous statements.

Maybe you now the answer to this---who owns the rights to neutral site games like the Advocare Kickoff Game? Does the "home" team own the rights---or are the rights owned by the games promoter---like a bowl game?
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2017 12:20 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-18-2017 12:15 PM
YNot Offline
1st String

I Root For: BYU
(05-18-2017 12:15 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-18-2017 12:05 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I said this on the AAC board: I thought that Navy was pretty clear that the Army-Navy Game was *always* going to be a completely separate deal for them and that was a contingency on agreeing to enter into the AAC. The separate TV deal for Navy's other home games was a different matter - it was understood that those would be rolled into the overall AAC conference TV package once the current contract expires. The Army-Navy Game, though, was ALWAYS going to be treated differently. (Of course, I also found it hypocritical that Navy's AD loudly complained about Boise State getting a special offer from the MWC when Navy knew that it was getting its own special offer of keeping all Army-Navy Game revenue.)

Except that Aresco has said multiple times in interviews that the Army-Navy game would be something that would help the next media deal. So--it may be that the revenue is shared....lol....or maybe he just misspoke...on multiple occasions....honestly, I dont think these people realize bulletin board guys are parsing their words to decipher contract terms....so we actually notice if details get exaggerated or conflict with previous statements.

Maybe you now the answer to this---who owns the rights to neutral site games like the Advocare Kickoff Game? Does the "home" team own the rights---or are the rights owned by the games promoter---like a bowl game?

I don't know whether it always works this way, but I do know that the TV rights to the 2016 BYU-Arizona game in Glendale were controlled by the PAC12, not the venue.

The gate proceeds were shared among BYU, Arizona, and the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority, with Arizona taking about 40%, BYU about 30%, and the ASTA about 30% - although the actual attendance favored BYU.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2017 12:35 PM by YNot.)
05-18-2017 12:29 PM

msm96wolf Online
1st String

I Root For:
(05-18-2017 12:10 PM)YNot Wrote:  Well, at least the AAC will have rights to the Navy-Notre Dame game every other year...right?

That should at least get the AAC a deal that includes 4 OTA games every year.

This is why Navy is always rumored with the mythical ND move to the ACC. Good news for the AAC, the ACC would never allow Navy to have such a deal, ACC would demand home game rights to be shared witht the conference.

However, as AC stated, it does make the TV deal more intriguing. 04-cheers
05-18-2017 12:37 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: tOSU SJSU
All the Armed forces home games are with CBS. Navy makes quite a bit from it's separate deals with Army and Notre Dame. Those have and always will be separate from the American. The American package is just a little extra on top, not the main income.
05-18-2017 12:48 PM
orangefan Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
(05-18-2017 12:15 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

My recollection is consistent with Frank's. As a general observation, Navy's share of the Army-Navy game and Navy-Notre Dame games are worth quite a bit. Unless the rest of the AAC showed that it could bring equivalent value to the table, Navy would be foolish to give that up. However, I do expect that Navy's hosted games with Notre Dame will be part of the next AAC deal.
05-18-2017 12:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.