Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Am I seeing this right? Baseball @ .500?
Bookmark and Share
Shockertropic Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WSU
Am I seeing this right? Baseball @ .500?
Are we starting to turn the corner or is this just a fluke? We have a chance at finishing with a winning season! Hopeful the conference move will spark some renewed vigor in the BSB program.
05-17-2017 04:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
RE: Am I seeing this right? Baseball @ .500?
Glad you brought up baseball. I have a thought to throw out to you all.

We (TU) will evidently be playing a neutral site MBB game in Wichita next year versus K-State at the IBA. I assume it will be a split gate game since I assume neither team will be the designated home team. That might be a nice trend to start every year or so with them or KU imo.

So how about this: A baseball game in Tulsa at our downtown baseball stadium called OneOK Field (seats 8-10,000) between you guys and either OU or OSU? You could split the gate and it would improve your recruiting presence in a neighboring state. Also, its an easy trip against a quality team at a neutral venue and it can't hurt the rpi.

OU and OSU always migrate to play a "bedlam" game or two in Tulsa and OKC - usually to both minor pro venues. So if they can do it, you can too as a representative of the AAC.

Anyone want to start the ball rolling?

Just a thought.
05-18-2017 08:54 PM
Shockertropic Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WSU
(05-18-2017 08:54 PM)rabidTU2 Wrote:  Glad you brought up baseball. I have a thought to throw out to you all.

We (TU) will evidently be playing a neutral site MBB game in Wichita next year versus K-State at the IBA. I assume it will be a split gate game since I assume neither team will be the designated home team. That might be a nice trend to start every year or so with them or KU imo.

So how about this: A baseball game in Tulsa at our downtown baseball stadium called OneOK Field (seats 8-10,000) between you guys and either OU or OSU? You could split the gate and it would improve your recruiting presence in a neighboring state. Also, its an easy trip against a quality team at a neutral venue and it can't hurt the rpi.

OU and OSU always migrate to play a "bedlam" game or two in Tulsa and OKC - usually to both minor pro venues. So if they can do it, you can too as a representative of the AAC.

Anyone want to start the ball rolling?

Just a thought.

That's what I hear a lot around here lately. Only its about having Tulsa Football coming to play an OOC against KSU or KU at Cessna Stadium! The facility needs some TLC, but for us who have missed fall football for the last 30 years, I can't see why they wouldn't want to try something like this to help each other renew/spark interest in new programs. We'll bring baseball to Tulsa and you'll remind people what it was like to have football in Wichita. It's a great idea!
05-19-2017 09:51 PM
High5forWu Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wichita State
Question RE: Am I seeing this right? Baseball @ .500?
(05-17-2017 04:30 PM)Shockertropic Wrote:  Are we starting to turn the corner or is this just a fluke? We have a chance at finishing with a winning season! Hopeful the conference move will spark some renewed vigor in the BSB program.
Yeah, after the K-State game, the baseball team was at .500.
Then, they lose two out of three at Indiana State to finish the season.
Two games into the MVC tournament and they win the 4/5 game against SIU and then blow the perfect setup by losing to 8-seed Illinois State.
Now, they have an afternoon elimination game with Missouri State, which means the season's probably over.

The team's been all over the map all year. Great at home, but equally bad on the road. Good pitching and hitting (at times), but rarely in the same game.

If they can get everything together next year, maybe they can make some noise. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if Darron Boatright pays off the last two years of Todd Butler's contract and sends him packing.
05-26-2017 03:50 AM

High5forWu Offline
Water Engineer

(05-26-2017 03:50 AM)High5forWu Wrote:  Now, they have an afternoon elimination game with Missouri State, which means the season's probably over.
For anyone who still doesn't know, a 6-3 loss ended the season at 28-30.
03-banghead
05-28-2017 08:17 AM
Downtown Shocker Brown Offline

But, with a young and improving roster, a good recruiting class could continue the trend to success. Mindful that baseball is a different beast then Basketball and Football, we could be back relevant in another year.

The key will be who replaces Walker. We need a GREAT coach and GOOD recruiter as Butler and Steele I think can attract talent also. I also feel we need to expand ataff to include a Director of Player Development. Staff position in charge of developing plans to make players better. The three headed monster is progressing. We are behind.
06-15-2017 06:44 PM
ShockerFever Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-15-2017 06:44 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  But, with a young and improving roster, a good recruiting class could continue the trend to success. Mindful that baseball is a different beast then Basketball and Football, we could be back relevant in another year.

The key will be who replaces Walker. We need a GREAT coach and GOOD recruiter as Butler and Steele I think can attract talent also. I also feel we need to expand ataff to include a Director of Player Development. Staff position in charge of developing plans to make players better. The three headed monster is progressing. We are behind.

You lost me again.

Improving roster? Who's improving?
Continue the trend to success? What trend are talking about? What is your definition of "success"?
Relevant in another year? With this current regime? LOL
Progressing? Wichita State?

Listen, I know you have Louisiana ties to Butler, but he is horrible. His track record as a head coach is horrible. His record at WSU is horrible. He can't even compete in the Missouri Valley. Stephenson NEVER had a losing season, and Butler has had 3 in 4 years. I'm not sure why you think change is occurring and what positives you're bringing out of a program and team that just looks fundamentally horrible, doesn't know how to hit or approach at-bats, walks batters to kingdom come, and has baseball IQ lower than most 8 year old softball players. If you think any of that equates to WSU being successful, well then you need bring Butler to LSU where he can be the coach in waiting there.

Butler and Eric Sexton have been monumental failures to WSU baseball. Butler should have been canned a year ago, definitely canned this year, and will fire up the excuse train next year. Boatright doesn't have the balls to fire his buddy and his sweet ass contract which compounds the entire problem.

AAC, we will be your whipping boy for the foreseeable future with this disaster in place.
06-17-2017 05:21 PM

Downtown Shocker Brown Offline

(06-17-2017 05:21 PM)WSUbballer Wrote:  
(06-15-2017 06:44 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  But, with a young and improving roster, a good recruiting class could continue the trend to success. Mindful that baseball is a different beast then Basketball and Football, we could be back relevant in another year.

You lost me again.

Improving roster? Who's improving?
Continue the trend to success? What trend are talking about? What is your definition of "success"?
Relevant in another year? With this current regime? LOL
Progressing? Wichita State?

Listen, I know you have Louisiana ties to Butler, but he is horrible. His track record as a head coach is horrible. His record at WSU is horrible. He can't even compete in the Missouri Valley. Stephenson NEVER had a losing season, and Butler has had 3 in 4 years. I'm not sure why you think change is occurring and what positives you're bringing out of a program and team that just looks fundamentally horrible, doesn't know how to hit or approach at-bats, walks batters to kingdom come, and has baseball IQ lower than most 8 year old softball players. If you think any of that equates to WSU being successful, well then you need bring Butler to LSU where he can be the coach in waiting there.

Butler and Eric Sexton have been monumental failures to WSU baseball. Butler should have been canned a year ago, definitely canned this year, and will fire up the excuse train next year. Boatright doesn't have the balls to fire his buddy and his sweet ass contract which compounds the entire problem.

AAC, we will be your whipping boy for the foreseeable future with this disaster in place.

I have met Todd Butler twice. He took time to chat with my boys, who are big Shocker fans. I have zero ties to him.

What I do have is an understanding that baseball is a different beast that it was in 1978. Gene had the chance to put a succession plan in place. He chose to put his foot down to his boss and it cost him his job. We are past Gene. Move on.

Last I checked, we have 3 former Freshman AA's on the roster, and now have two committed staff members to go out and recruit us players. We need one more guy to recruit Coast to Coast. Butler has also proven to be a good recuiter. Steele has as well. What we struggled to do the last couple years is develop the talent once it got here, and overcome injuries to our pitching staff.

But, I exoect that we will be whipping boys going forward as the fans have apparently decided that they don't want to support the program, and instead throw stones at the past.

Talking about what we shoukd be starts with the coaches, players, and facilities we have now. We are a sleeping giant right now. But it takes support and belief that we can do it, and we arent starting in a field with no backstop and a chain link fence.
06-17-2017 05:43 PM
ShockerFever Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-17-2017 05:43 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  What I do have is an understanding that baseball is a different beast that it was in 1978. Gene had the chance to put a succession plan in place. He chose to put his foot down to his boss and it cost him his job. We are past Gene. Move on.
We aren't past Gene. We're behind Gene. Way behind Gene. When a legend gets ousted like he was, the only thing to do is compare the program to what he did to what it is now. Even in Gene's "bad" years, he was still finishing in the top 1/3rd of the conference; he was still winning more than he was losing; he was still finishing in the Top 100/50 in the RPI; he was still going to NCAA Tournaments. How does Butler compare to Gene's "lean" years. The fanbase got spoiled and the administration was even worse. They threw out a guy that built the place up from nothing to nationally respected. They replaced him with a guy that was .500 at McNeese State and gave him a 7 year contract with an absolutely ridiculous buyout. What has Butler done in 4 years to make anyone believe that this is acceptable performance? He got clowned by the Missouri Freaking Valley.

And by the way, Gene's boss was a HORRIBLE boss. A detriment to the entire athletic department. His handling of the baseball situation was the proverbial nail in the coffin. He knew he was in over his head and exited stage left on his own accord.

(06-17-2017 05:43 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  Last I checked, we have 3 former Freshman AA's on the roster

3 former AA's eh? How are they doing now? They should at least be AA's again a year later correct? How do 3 AA's lead to a 29-33 record?

(06-17-2017 05:43 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  Butler has also proven to be a good recuiter.

How has this translated to wins and losses, you know, the thing that puts butts in the seats? He's really great at recruiting players over 6'1 and absolutely dogging anybody under that threshold. Great strategy.

(06-17-2017 05:43 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  and overcome injuries to our pitching staff

That sounds some weakass excuses. The injuries occurred in 2016. What happened in 2017? Nothing. They lowered their ERA from an embarrassing 7 by about a run, which is still horrible. How come Gene didn't get excused for recruiting misses by the draft in 2008 and 2009? Double standard much?

(06-17-2017 05:43 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  But, I exoect that we will be whipping boys going forward as the fans have apparently decided that they don't want to support the program, and instead throw stones at the past.

Are you seriously blaming this on the fans? They waited for Butler's talk to start walking. Well, after 3 losing seasons and being a non-competitor in the Valley, what do you freaking expect? Nobody wants to sit around and watch a team get drilled by another mediocre team with a coach thats getting paid 1/4 as much, while executing YMCA level fundamentals all at the same time. Boatright and Sexton are the ones that don't care about baseball. Boatright has said as much. He's either satisfied with losing seasons or doesn't want to admit what a ****** contract his predecessor gave the "savior" Butler when he arrived here with a stellar resume from McNeese State. Why should fans support a school that doesn't care? Eff that.
06-17-2017 07:20 PM
fastbow Offline
(Behind Enemy Lines)

(06-17-2017 07:20 PM)WSUbballer Wrote:  Are you seriously blaming this on the fans? They waited for Butler's talk to start walking. Well, after 3 losing seasons and being a non-competitor in the Valley, what do you freaking expect? Nobody wants to sit around and watch a team get drilled by another mediocre team with a coach thats getting paid 1/4 as much, while executing YMCA level fundamentals all at the same time. Boatright and Sexton are the ones that don't care about baseball. Boatright has said as much. He's either satisfied with losing seasons or doesn't want to admit what a ****** contract his predecessor gave the "savior" Butler when he arrived here with a stellar resume from McNeese State. Why should fans support a school that doesn't care? Eff that.

Agreed. Wichita State fans will come out in February when it's cold as the Devil's butthole to watch good baseball. They won't if the baseball is bad, because it's cold as the Devil's butthole.
06-17-2017 11:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.