Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBA D-League news (WAC related)
Bookmark and Share
Stugray2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: tOSU SJSU
NBA D-League news (WAC related)
A couple items.

1) Raptors Rookie Pascal Siakam (NMSU) Wins 2017 NBA D-League Finals MVP. Congrats!

2) the LA Clippers are starting a new D-League team, in Ontario. That pretty much kills any hope for Bakersfield
http://www.nba.com/clippers/press-releas...m-ontario/

This will bring the D-League up to 26 teams in 2017-18.

In 2018-19 it's expected the Washington Wizzards will start a franchise in their new team facility. Also the New Orleans Pelicans are getting serious about a team in 2018-19, and have six candidates for the site: (Pensacola FL, Mobile AL, Jackson MS, Baton Rouge LA, Shreveport LA, and St. Tammany Parish LA).

That will leave only the Denver Nuggets (not doing much) and Portland Trailblazers (who seem to have zero interest in the D-League) without franchises.
05-16-2017 04:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

edinburger Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UTRGV
RE: NBA D-League news (WAC related)
(05-16-2017 04:11 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  A couple items.

1) Raptors Rookie Pascal Siakam (NMSU) Wins 2017 NBA D-League Finals MVP. Congrats!

2) the LA Clippers are starting a new D-League team, in Ontario. That pretty much kills any hope for Bakersfield

This will bring the D-League up to 26 teams in 2017-18.

In 2018-19 it's expected the Washington Wizzards will start a franchise in their new team facility. Also the New Orleans Pelicans are getting serious about a team in 2018-19, and have six candidates for the site: (Pensacola FL, Mobile AL, Jackson MS, Baton Rouge LA, Shreveport LA, and St. Tammany Parish LA).

That will leave only the Denver Nuggets (not doing much) and Portland Trailblazers (who seem to have zero interest in the D-League) without franchises.

Why can't Siakam leave us alone down here in the RGV? First he comes down and beats us up at UTRGV, and then he shows up again to deny the RGV Vipers the D-league title. Let's hope he gets called up to NBA so we don't see him down here anymore.

Seriously, good to see someone from the WAC making it big.
05-16-2017 05:01 PM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
(05-16-2017 04:11 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  A couple items.

Perfect actually. Less for my 'Runners to compete with. Plus, the last owner had a special facility out by the airport for the team. It was basically season ticket holders only. So...odd. Anyway, no tears shed from me.

...Now, if my CONDORS ever left, .....that's another matter. 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2017 05:13 PM by RunnerBall.)
05-16-2017 05:09 PM
WACfan86 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UTRGV
I am just glad to see the guy excelling inside the court. As far tormenting the RGV please continue to do so.
05-16-2017 06:34 PM

SJHornet Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Sac State, USC
I'm just glad the D-League (soon to be G-League, sigh*) has survived, become well supported, funded and taken seriously. The NBA embracing a minor league system will help grow the sport and give teams more options to develop talent. Also, and just as important, gives more college kids an opportunity to play pro ball States side, and gives mid major stars a better opportunity to break into the league without having to make deep tourney runs. The game play is pretty decent, and helps grow the sport and fan base into outlying communities. Saw some SC Warriors games, and was impressed by the product and support. Personally, the best thing about the D-League is it offers more basketball, and more basketball is always a good thing.
05-17-2017 02:55 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Texas State
I think the NBA will end up with 30 D-league teams. It is each teams interest to have their own D-league team. As for Siakam, he needed the D-League. Like any young player, he needs playing time and in the D-League there is playing time. He needs a place to work on his offensive game.

For the Clippers, Ontario makes perfect sense. Ontario is 40 miles from Staples Center in Downtown LA. Plenty of Clipper fans in the Inland Empire. The Inland Empire has over 4 million people and until recently there was only UCR basketball for anything D1 and above. Now the area will soon have a D-League team and another D1 program (CBU).
05-17-2017 10:05 AM
Stugray2 Offline
1st String

The NBA D-League will get to 28 in 2018-19. New Orleans is getting very serious, down to five locations. Baton Rouge and Mobile (AL) roughly 2 hours drive away, and Shreveport, Jackson and Pensacola each roughly 3 hours away. (St. Tammany pulled out after a tax measure failed, so they have to redirect $15M to courts and prisons they had hoped to be free for other projects.) Washington has pretty much laid out their plans to be in the St. Elizabeth facility in the 8th ward in 2018-19 (their new practice and training building ... will be a state of the art facility).

But I am not sure about getting to 30. Portland's ownership has zero interest in the D-League and sold the Boise Stampede to Utah who moved it to SLC. They really don't see the value in it. Denver hasn't shown any seriousness in it at all. Maybe the NBS has to start or run two franchises themselves. Erie is only contract for 2017-18 and 2018-19 while the Atlanta Hawks facility is built, after that nothing. Same could happen to Sioux Falls if the Heat decide to set up their own club in the greater Miami metro. That is the only way I see the league getting to 30 in the next few years. Denver and Portland are not doing anything.

On Siakam, it would not surprise me if the Warriors offer him a potential spot next year. The salary cap limits will likely mean Zaza Pachulia and Shaun Livingston are gone, and the team appears to have given up on Kevon Looney (Damien Jones hasn't shown anything, but I think they will give him one more shot next year; thank God Patrick McCaw has panned out - the future replacement for Andre Igoudala). They don't have any draft picks, and they are going to have trouble keeping Ian Clark (who will take Shaun Livingston's minutes and role) under contract. There is also a rumor David West will retire if the Warriors win the title. A lot of open spots, and I think a couple D-League guys (Siakam fits the role they wanted Looney to fill) will wind up getting a slot or two (they want a back up pure PG, and if they can find it a rebounder who can pass).
05-19-2017 10:43 PM

gleadley Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GCU
Can you guys who are up on the D League stuff remind me how getting on a roster works? If I remember correctly, the D-League draft actually seemed pretty worthless, as many of those guys ended up cut before the first week of camps were over (i.e. Grandly Glaze from 87ers). How are the players most likely to stick with a team or organization being added to D-League rosters right now?
05-19-2017 11:05 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
Yeah Aly Ahmed was also drafted in the D-League draft and waived/cut whatever.
05-19-2017 11:07 PM
Stugray2 Offline
1st String

The D-League forms teams this way:

You can retain contracts from the prior year. There are some goofy rules about a draft pick who went to Europe/Asia, or who played for you then signed in Europe/Asia as being your rights. These are usually the midpack players.

You can sign players to your August NBA camp (anybody on your D-League team can sign with another club to tryout, so the guys left on the roster form last year are usually not the top guys), then if you cut them by a certain date and nobody else picks them up, they can be assigned to your D-League team. These are usually the top 3 players on the team, your preferred targets -NBA teams will bring a few players into camps strictly to lock them down for the D-League team.

You can stash a draft pick for a year or two in the D-League.

A draft is held of the remaining eligible free agents who are trying out for D-League contract. Many are undrafted rookies, plus guys who were not protected by contract are in the draft. The first maybe dozen players were considered real prospects. The first couple round had a good chance of making a team. It's a crap shoot from maybe the 3rd round onward.

You can hold a local tryout and nominate a couple players to tryout. Teams get about 5 days to evaluate they maybe 15 players put together this way and trim it down to 10. (NBA Draft pick assigned don't count; you can stash one or two down here beyond the 10 man roster).

As this is a development league you will see teams cutting and picking up guys as the season goes on. But Basically 10 players per team are under NBADL payroll. Contracts are with the NBA and not individual clubs. That may change in the future, as teams would prefer to get some compensation for a player they developed being pulled up by another club in the NBA. Since the D-League top of the draft os so thin, it's kind of hard to do. Also how do you get compensation from a Portland or a Denver (or for nwow New Orleans and Washington) who have no D-League team?
05-20-2017 01:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.