Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Toledo Loses Asst B-Ball Coach DeAndre Haynes to Illinois St
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Toledo Loses Asst B-Ball Coach DeAndre Haynes to Illinois St
UT Men's Assistant Basketball Coach DeAndre Haynes has accepted a Assistant Coaching Position at Illinois State of the Missouri Valley Conference it was announced today. This is a BIG Lose for the Rockets as he had major inroads in recruiting the State of Ohio which helped us pick up 3 recruits in the upcoming class, i.e. Willie Jackson, Marreon Jackson and Logan Hill. This continues a pattern of Toledo losing at least 1 Assistant Coach per year!
05-16-2017 03:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
RE: Toledo Loses Asst B-Ball Coach DeAndre Haynes to Illinois St
This is not good news.
05-16-2017 03:37 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-16-2017 03:37 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  This is not good news.

Usually it's the good teams that lose coaches.

Wonder if ISU pays more.
05-16-2017 04:28 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(05-16-2017 04:28 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

Wonder if ISU pays more.

This.

One guy is now an assistant coach at Florida.
Another is an assistant coach at Butler.
Another went to UMKC because his best friend became head coach.
The MVC is a step up from the MAC.

The only weird departure was Anthony Stacey, but he is a BUGS grad, so it's not surprising.
05-16-2017 04:42 PM
Advertisement

RocketBBallFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Perhaps be wants to follow in the footsteps of his fellow Kent State alumnus Jordan Mincy. Mincy came to UT for 1 year after working at Kent. Then, he went to work on Mike White's staff at Louisiana Tech for one season. After that, Mike White was hired at Florida and he brought Mincy along. Jordan Mincy decided to hitch his wagon to a coach on his way up the coaching ladder. Maybe DeAndre believes that Illinois State's Dan Muller is also on the rise and wants to do the same.
05-16-2017 05:02 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

05-16-2017 05:16 PM
Screwball Offline
All American

(05-16-2017 04:42 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(05-16-2017 04:28 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

Wonder if ISU pays more.

This.

One guy is now an assistant coach at Florida.
Another is an assistant coach at Butler.
Another went to UMKC because his best friend became head coach.
The MVC is a step up from the MAC.

The only weird departure was Anthony Stacey, but he is a BUGS grad, so it's not surprising.

Giggle.
05-16-2017 08:06 PM
Advertisement

rocket 51 Offline
1st String

Too bad for sure. If you read the article it is apparent that DeAndre felt he was not going to grow here. He didn't
even know the guy at ISU!
Don't agree with MBGold, this is not a trend that you see in good programs. Something makes folks feel like this is a 'going no where opportunity" here at Toledo. Real disappointment if you ask me. Next year is the year of reckoning for TK IMO.
05-16-2017 08:10 PM
Sleepy Offline
1st String

I think he wasn't advancing here because the coaching staff has been relatively stable. Kalsow has been with K from the beginning, 8 years at UT and at UWGB before that. Massey has been here 5 years. Haynes was the 3rd asst and there isn't room to move up the ladder. Hate to see him go. Hopefully he can be replaced with a comparable young coach.
05-17-2017 10:37 AM
utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

DeAndre must have felt the same way about kent to leave his alma mater for a coaching staff that he would be the 3rd assistant on at UT.
05-17-2017 05:40 PM
Advertisement

Rocket Pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: Seton Hall
(05-17-2017 10:37 AM)Sleepy Wrote:  I think he wasn't advancing here because the coaching staff has been relatively stable. Kalsow has been with K from the beginning, 8 years at UT and at UWGB before that. Massey has been here 5 years. Haynes was the 3rd asst and there isn't room to move up the ladder. Hate to see him go. Hopefully he can be replaced with a comparable young coach.

Bingo. If a third assistant is offered a second chair or even a top assistant position at another mid-major, he takes it. Jordan Mincy did it to move up to the #2 assistant at a traditionally weak mid-major. Now he's the #2 assistant at a powerhouse.
05-19-2017 07:47 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-19-2017 07:47 AM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  
(05-17-2017 10:37 AM)Sleepy Wrote:  I think he wasn't advancing here because the coaching staff has been relatively stable. Kalsow has been with K from the beginning, 8 years at UT and at UWGB before that. Massey has been here 5 years. Haynes was the 3rd asst and there isn't room to move up the ladder. Hate to see him go. Hopefully he can be replaced with a comparable young coach.

Bingo. If a third assistant is offered a second chair or even a top assistant position at another mid-major, he takes it. Jordan Mincy did it to move up to the #2 assistant at a traditionally weak mid-major. Now he's the #2 assistant at a powerhouse.

Not sure I would call Illinois State a powerhouse. Their MVC title this year was their first in 19 years and its also been 19 years since they have been to the NCAA Tournament.
05-19-2017 08:04 AM
Rocket Pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: Seton Hall
(05-19-2017 08:04 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

Not sure I would call Illinois State a powerhouse. Their MVC title this year was their first in 19 years and its also been 19 years since they have been to the NCAA Tournament.

Where did I call Illinois State a powerhouse? I called them "another mid-major" here.

Jordan Mincy is at Florida, which is a powerhouse.
05-19-2017 08:47 AM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-19-2017 08:47 AM)Rocket Pirate Wrote:  
(05-19-2017 08:04 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

Where did I call Illinois State a powerhouse? I called them "another mid-major" here.

Jordan Mincy is at Florida, which is a powerhouse.

Sorry, misread it.
05-19-2017 10:23 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Stability at the top assistant job is more important. Third guy is trying to learn as many systems as possible to become a better coach.
05-19-2017 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.